Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to pin my 19 month old down to cut her toe nails?

(12 Posts)
AtHomeDadGlos Mon 10-Jul-17 18:28:24

My 18th month old can't stand having her toe nails cut (I can manage the fingers with a distracting TV show).

Cartoons, snacks, sticker books, story books etc haven't worked. Anyone got any tips on how to trim her nails without pinning her down? The neighbours must think I'm torturing her!

MeeWhoo Mon 10-Jul-17 18:29:23

Have you tried when she's asleep? Small torch required smile

AtHomeDadGlos Mon 10-Jul-17 18:30:41

No...good thought. Sounds a bit like a new Mission Impossible (albeit a rubbish one!)

NaiceToMeetYou Mon 10-Jul-17 18:31:02

Yep when she's asleep or bite them off!

PastysPrincess Mon 10-Jul-17 18:32:49

I do it when DS is asleep. I've trimmed his hair too cos the hairdresser couldn't finish it.

MeeWhoo Mon 10-Jul-17 18:34:01

Dd doesn't like it her toenails cut either and I sometimes cut them while she is asleep.
However, after a while I realised that more than the cutting, what she objects to is how tightly I was holding the toe in question and also the fact that, you can sometimes put their foot/toes in slightly awkward and uncomfortable positions while getting at their nails.

Blazedandconfused Mon 10-Jul-17 18:35:32

One toenail a night. Takes 10 nights to do all toe nails. Another 10 nights for all finger nails.

waterlily200 Mon 10-Jul-17 18:36:16

My DD is exactly the same. I'm surprised the neighbours haven't called the police. We do it when she sleeps. It is very Mission Impossible sometimes.

She's even seen me do my DNs nails loads and DN does not bat an eyelid but if I go near DD all hell breaks loose.

I use baby nail clippers to minimise contact between me and DD like cutting bomb wires.

Good luck.

waterlily200 Mon 10-Jul-17 18:36:19

My DD is exactly the same. I'm surprised the neighbours haven't called the police. We do it when she sleeps. It is very Mission Impossible sometimes.

She's even seen me do my DNs nails loads and DN does not bat an eyelid but if I go near DD all hell breaks loose.

I use baby nail clippers to minimise contact between me and DD like cutting bomb wires.

Good luck.

AtHomeDadGlos Mon 10-Jul-17 18:36:32

I suppose the night time cutting would be good practice for creeping in with the presents on Dec 24th!

imip Mon 10-Jul-17 18:37:21

Yes, asleep here too!

pinkpantsrock Mon 10-Jul-17 18:37:24

i turn into a nighttime ninja! just don't try after glass of wine....! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now