Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Or am I just being picky and need to get a life?

(84 Posts)
FlowerSour Mon 10-Jul-17 11:31:39

I was on Facebook about ten minutes ago and some of the grammatical errors bother me so much. Maybe I sound like an old cow, but is it terrible that if anyone is posting anything serious or arguing a serious point, I instantly judge them if their grammar is poor?

I'm thinking of things such as:

no know
has bin has been
dats all right that's all right
We r with u we are with you

I also hate the shortening/changing of words. Like "hols" instead of "holiday." "Jammies" instead of "pyjamas." And the worse... "Famalam" instead of family. It makes me cringe even writing that.

I think I probably am being unreasonable.

Very unreasonable.

But I shall ask anyway- AIBU? grin

I don't mind if you think I'm an old cow, as I probably am these days! And it will also be ironic if I've committed a grammatical sin in this post.

ProudBadMum Mon 10-Jul-17 11:32:52

YABU

It's social media not a report or a test.

Sanscollier Mon 10-Jul-17 11:34:06

Can't bear gonna and wanna!

Nikephorus Mon 10-Jul-17 11:37:54

I'm with you. I don't mind hols, and jammies is fine (I prefer jimjams) but if someone wrote famalam I'd be like confused But the spelling & grammar ones generally just grate on me. And I want to throw things at Lol and posts with kisses at the end for no reason.

sweetbitter Mon 10-Jul-17 11:37:56

YANBU I hate it too. Obviously don't say anything but it does set my teeth on edge.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 10-Jul-17 11:38:29

I'm with you, op. Poor grammar makes me crazy!

TittyGolightly Mon 10-Jul-17 11:39:33

It's social media not a report or a test.

Why should speaking or writing properly be reserved for formal situations?

WillRikersExtraNipple Mon 10-Jul-17 11:41:17

Nope, I'm with you. I'm in a couple of groups on FB ( support/info for my childs health issues) and am appalled at the standard of written English. I don't just mean spelling but there are long posts with no punctuation, full of errors, no or odd grammar, they are practically incomprehensible.

I'm not judging them so much as I am judging whatever education system sent them into the world so lacking in skills that they can't write a few lines on something so important to them in a legible way.

Clandestino Mon 10-Jul-17 11:42:32

I can't stand grammar mistakes. I certainly don't go around and criticise/correct people for it but I am honest enough to admit that a little irrational part of me is biased towards people who make obvious grammar mistakes in their mother tongue. I appreciate if someone corrects my mistakes in foreign languages but cringe at the idea of making a grammar mistake in my own.
I recently had a text with someone replying "no" instead of "know" and I was embarrassed on their behalf.
It's not rational and I certainly wouldn't treat people as less worthy of my respect because of that but yes, I find it very disruptive.

MyNeighbourSnorlax Mon 10-Jul-17 11:43:04

The one that annoys me most is "are" instead of "our". Famalam is horrendous too though. Someone on my FB also uses gorjus which drives me mad.

"Just a few pictures of are gorjus little famalam"

Arghh.

buggerthebotox Mon 10-Jul-17 11:43:50

Yup.

Yanbu!! I avoid Fakebook for this very reason!

FlowerSour Mon 10-Jul-17 11:46:14

"Gorjus" is terrible. I have not heard that one before! grin

I would never say anything, ever. I'm a very opinionated person, but I do keep my mouth shut and would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings.

And the thing is, it's not just on Facebook.

Invitations for DC's parties in the past, emails from other parents, etc...

To be honest I can get over "u" in a text. But in emails I don't like 'text' language.

mirime Mon 10-Jul-17 11:52:17

I can't cope with 'could of' or 'would of'. Drives me nuts.

MagicMoneyTree Mon 10-Jul-17 11:54:37

Jammies isn't bad grammar though, it's a nickname for something else. I don't mind hols either. It's just a shortening. Never heard of famalam.

Actual bad grammar (e.g. your/you're) does irritate me, but if you get worked up about it every time you see it on social media, you'll become very angry, very quickly.

I think you're talking about two things in your op - bad grammar and the evolution of language. New words and nicknames happen all the time. Do you get annoyed when people say "TV" instead of "television?" What about when they use "op" instead of "original post/er?"

I find the evolution of language really interesting. Our language has been changing forever. You can't expect it to stop now just because you prefer the old way. My nan used to say "in the family way" instead of "pregnant"- she'd have found that quite vulgar I imagine. Times change, people change, language changes. You can't control it all and keep it the way YOU like it. Embrace the changes.

ReinettePompadour Mon 10-Jul-17 11:56:32

'Use' I hate people saying use instead of you 'why din't both of use come over lata' type crap. angry

and putting 'no' at the end of a sentence 'it would be better if you wore a coat in case it rained no?

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag Mon 10-Jul-17 11:57:09

I couldn't give a toss, far more important things to worry about in life.

BeyondThePage Mon 10-Jul-17 11:58:05

I don't care - if the message gets across then that is fine.

I do not demand grammatical rigour from my friends or acquaintances. If something is written by an organisation - some formal letter representing the company etc. then yes, I may be bothered by grammatical inaccuracy.

On social media people can let their hair down and not be troubled by the snobbish pedantry of boors. (is it less well mannered to post with incorrect grammar, to point it out or to sneer at it)

MagnumAddict Mon 10-Jul-17 11:59:20

You have three errors in your OP. You can annoy yourself spotting them grin

WillRikersExtraNipple Mon 10-Jul-17 12:01:05

Why do people always talk about the "evolution of language" when we are talking about errors and lack of ability? It's not evolution, if anything it's the very opposite.

Peach9876 Mon 10-Jul-17 12:01:17

Part of me thinks what's the difference between IABU/DD/IYSWIM/all the other MN (see another one) abbreviations and lol/cya/hols etc. But then I will admit I find posts with some 'short hand' hard to read. I don't understand how famalam (sp) is better/easier/quicker than family. I don't know anyone who says it or writes it in order to ask them so maybe I'll never know.
I also think a lot of the time people write how they talk, so miss out letters or change things. All dialects are different, and to me OP's "And the worse" is 'wrong' because you don't start a sentence with and (as my school teachers always told me... but I still do it anyway) And (see did it there) for me 'the worse' is weird, but I'm not confident enough to say that's incorrect and don't really care enough to point it out on a post. Obviously here the point of the post is grammar so worth discussing. Should it not be 'the worst' or 'even worse'? Similar with dis rather than this and jammies rather than pyjamas. As a child the word tummy grated on my, I always said stomach but my mum and siblings were happy with tummy. Not sure where I got that bug bear from.

Some people get annoyed with ... or ???/!!!/?!?!?! etc. I use these frequently.

WillRikersExtraNipple Mon 10-Jul-17 12:01:47

On social media people can let their hair down and not be troubled by the snobbish pedantry of boors

Oh ffs. What a load of wankery.

MagicMoneyTree Mon 10-Jul-17 12:03:18

WillRikersExtraNipple I was referring to jammies versus pyjamas. That isn't error, nor lack of ability.

Peach9876 Mon 10-Jul-17 12:03:49

Just wanted to make it clear by hard to read I mean I find it hard to understand, not as in it makes me cringe or I find it 'bad' in anyway. Just hard to decipher.

Joolsy Mon 10-Jul-17 12:04:15

I can't bear "your" as in "hope your ok" - that is one I see all the time

Dragonflycushion Mon 10-Jul-17 12:04:29

Famalam and gorjus seem to be used by middle aged women either infantilising themselves or trying to be trendy IME.
The ones I know who do this are well educated and can certainly write properly when they need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now