Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to completely cut off this "friend"

(81 Posts)
DarkAngel1984 Mon 10-Jul-17 09:00:38

A bit of background.

I used to be really close to this friend, we've known each other for years even to the point that we used to house share together for a few years.

She is also very close to my sister.

We were at a social gathering organised by me a few months ago and she was supposed to turn up with her hubby and dc. It had been organised for months and was a special occasion. She turns up with her dc and no husband. I ask her why he hadn't turned up she said that something came up that he couldn't get out of. I then have this conversation with my sister and she tells me that it's not the case the reason he didn't turn up was cause he doesn't like my dh as they have nothing in common.

Not sure why that should be an issue as there were plenty of people there and as we were hosting so we were not spending too much time talking to 1 person for too long, also with the dc's running around we had our hands full.

So I confront my friend at a later date about her lying about it and she completely denies that she said imthat to my sister. ( my sister has no reason to lie about it and would never do that)

Since then we have had very little contact. The last time we spoke was a good few months ago on my birthday and literally it was a few strained messages.

Now her dc's birthday is coming up next week and I have already sent a pressie and a card to them via my sister. Would I BU to cut all contact with her if I don't get a thank you message for the gift?

The only reason I haven't completely cut her off already is that it will put my sister in a hard place if she invites her to anything social and we will both be attending.

Thank you for reading

ShatnersWig Mon 10-Jul-17 09:02:44

Sorry??? You are considering cutting a friend of longstanding off because her husband doesn't get on with your husband?

Are you still a teenager who sends your best friend to Coventry because she doesn't like your boyfriend?

If there's no more to it than this, YABU.

treaclesoda Mon 10-Jul-17 09:04:07

Of course she denied saying it, because she doesn't want to hurt your feelings. No one wants to tell a friend that their dh doesn't like your DH.

elizabethdraper Mon 10-Jul-17 09:05:41

Wow, total over reaction

ellenripleysbiceps Mon 10-Jul-17 09:06:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Mon 10-Jul-17 09:06:39

And tbh if you're invited somewhere and you don't like the host, it's pretty hypocritical to attend, so in that respect I don't think he did anything wrong although it would have been better if they had said from the start that she and the children would attend but he wouldn't be coming.

Changedtocovermyass Mon 10-Jul-17 09:08:02

You sound like hard work. Some people just don't get on. Perhaps you need to let her spend time with genuine friends who are interested in her and not just getting the numbers up.

rollonthesummer Mon 10-Jul-17 09:08:47

Your sister is really stirring here!

AlternativeTentacle Mon 10-Jul-17 09:08:56

What about just stop inviting her to stuff and if you see her say hello?

Newuser836382 Mon 10-Jul-17 09:09:15

The AIBU iS if she doesn't get a thank you for the gift that she had given the dc after a bit of a strained relationship

kissmethere Mon 10-Jul-17 09:10:01

You're over reacting. She can't control how her husband feels about yours and she's hardly going to say at your party is she?!

Newuser836382 Mon 10-Jul-17 09:10:16

I think it would be plain rude if she did not say thank you

Ladyformation Mon 10-Jul-17 09:11:28

She told a diplomatic lie in an awkward situation. I don't think she's done anything wrong here confused

ghostyslovesheets Mon 10-Jul-17 09:11:56

you can't value her too much if you react this way over something so petty so I would let her go for her sake!

Lweji Mon 10-Jul-17 09:12:29

Did you expect her to tell you that her husband didn't want to go because he doesn't like your husband? Really?
She, perhaps, said one of those lies that oil our social interactions and keeps the peace.
Your sister was unwise to tell you about it, and you were worse to call her out on it.

frieda909 Mon 10-Jul-17 09:12:41

I agree with ellen above, I'm really not sure why you're so upset with her.

I used to have a very difficult partner who disliked a lot of my friends, and I got put in this position a lot. He would refuse to come to things and I'd have to think up excuses for him not being there without hurting people's feelings. It wasn't fun. But if someone had gone around telling people 'Frieda is lying, Mr Frieda didn't have to work, he just doesn't like you' then I'd be absolutely furious!

Why would your sister do that? Sounds a bit like shit-stirring to me.

TheHumanRace Mon 10-Jul-17 09:13:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaveMeBarry Mon 10-Jul-17 09:14:55

She hasn't done anything wrong and why the hell would your sister tell you that?? Talk about shit stirring hmm. You seem awfully determined to be offended and fall out with your friend, do you generally enjoy drama?

MineKraftCheese Mon 10-Jul-17 09:16:12

You're being very precious about the idea that you were "lied to". People lie all the time to save hurt feelings. There was no malice in her actions.

Your sister and her shit-stirring, however ...

Nikephorus Mon 10-Jul-17 09:16:16

Why did your sister feel the need to say anything to you? She's the one at fault - she could easily have changed the subject if she didn't want to lie to you about what she'd presumably been told in confidence. Is she jealous of your friendship and want the friend for herself? hmm

Lweji Mon 10-Jul-17 09:18:04

Also, you're already assuming you won't get a thank you message.
Too much drama.
Find yourself something more interesting to think about.

pictish Mon 10-Jul-17 09:25:54

Yabu - you 'confronted' her about her 'lies' did you? Fucking hell.

Who says, "Sorry...Martin isn't here because he doesn't like your husband."? No one. Ever.

It was a polite, socially acceptable lie about something that your friend isn't responsible for, didn't want to tell the truth about for obvious reasons and shouldn't be confronted over. Jesus.

Calm yourself down to a frenzy.

Bluntness100 Mon 10-Jul-17 09:29:48

You confronted her about lying??? Who does that, it's clear she was being diplomatic and trying to save your feelings. And now you want to cut her out completely.

Honestly, what's wrong with you?

MissBax Mon 10-Jul-17 09:33:04

Just going to echo the same as other PP. You invited her somewhere, she came. You're actually angry that her fella didn't show? She cant control him!

snowdancer Mon 10-Jul-17 09:34:50

Her DH doesn't like your DH. It happens.

Maybe she made an excuse to be diplomatic. Maybe her DH pulls this stunt a lot? Perhaps she lied because she doesn't want to fall out or she fears confrontation.
She came to the event with her children, so she did make the effort for you.

At least it's out in the open, you know what the deal is - now decide how you can continue your friendship with her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: