Talk

Advanced search

To not take my anti depressants

(19 Posts)
sunsurfacingdefiantly Sun 09-Jul-17 22:27:56

They are wiping me out and I feel half dead sad

Obviously I want them to work. But I can hardly function

Zafodbeeblbrox10 Sun 09-Jul-17 22:32:56

If you decide to stop, wean yourself off rather than just stopping. Unless your experiencing some of the side-effects listed in the literature inside the packet, in which case, consult your doctor ASAP

sunsurfacingdefiantly Sun 09-Jul-17 22:35:02

I've only had one and it's just about knocked me for six! I had it last night, and I'm still feeling like Juliet unconscious in her tomb!

WhatABaklava Sun 09-Jul-17 22:37:22

You need to give them a bit of time and your body should get more used to them. But if you genuinely cannot function after 3-4 days then go back to GP. Though I'm not a medical professional so that may not be good advice. But in my experience the side effects wear off quite quickly. Which one are you on?

DaviesMum Sun 09-Jul-17 22:38:15

That doesn't sound great but some drugs take a bit of getting used to. What have you been prescribed and at what dose?

sunsurfacingdefiantly Sun 09-Jul-17 22:38:16

Mirtazapene? I think that is the correct spelling.

I have been asleep ALL day! Which is fine for a Sunday but I do need to at some point do housework, work, organise things ... smile

Tapandgo Sun 09-Jul-17 22:38:23

What are you taking? One tablet can't really have that effect - surely?
Is something else wrong ?

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 09-Jul-17 22:38:26

The first few can make you feel odd.

What dose are you on? Could you halve it, tar that fir a week and then take the full dose. A lot of Drs do recommend this anyway.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 09-Jul-17 22:39:26

The first time I took them, I felt like a Zombie for 2 days Tap. After that though they were fab.

sunsurfacingdefiantly Sun 09-Jul-17 22:40:38

I don't know Tap, I only took one, I promise! But I have slept for TWENTY TWO HOURS!

I have never done that apart from being ill!

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 09-Jul-17 22:43:10

Gosh that's a long time! Maybe phone the Drs in the morning?

fannydaggerz Sun 09-Jul-17 22:53:30

Take them at 7pm so the effects are felt when you're settling down for bed.

Tapandgo Sun 09-Jul-17 23:49:28

Wow - story, never knew medication could be so 'immediate' - apart from sleeping tabs. Hope it all settles down for you.

mirime Mon 10-Jul-17 00:03:42

Prozac knocked me out when I started taking it, I was either asleep or lying on the sofa dozing. After that wore off it stopped me sleeping altogether and I had to try a different one.

I've tried a few, they all had some initial effects that wore off after the first few days/first week.

If you're worried do see your doctor though.

MarcelineTheVampire Mon 10-Jul-17 00:07:42

Mine took 2 weeks to settle and work effectively and they have changed my life - call GP if you're worried but give them a go if you need them.

Be kind to yourself, take some time off if you can and let the medication do its work.

PollyFlint Mon 10-Jul-17 00:28:20

It takes a few weeks to settle into taking most antidepressants so things will probably improve over time, side-effects wise.

Also, worth remembering that sleeping a lot and feeling wiped out can be as much as symptom of depression itself as it can a side-effect of the tablets (and some drugs have the opposite effect and sometimes make people feel twitchy and fidgety rather than sleepy). Persevere for a bit and if you feel you really, really can't take them then contact your GP again and explain the situation - don't just give up on medication altogether. Some people need to try a few different drugs before they find one that suits them. But if you've only taken one or two doses so far you just don't know yet how they'll suit you in the longer term.

I do sympathise. Depression is rotten, and I hope you start to feel better as soon as is possible.

Motoko Mon 10-Jul-17 01:45:07

Oh, that one is notorious for bad side effects! My husband tried them and they gave him terrible nightmares, that even when he was awake, he couldn't shake the feeling off.
He spoke to people on Twitter about it and nobody had anything good to say about their experiences of taking it.

Speak to your doctor tomorrow and ask to be put on a different one. There are loads of different anti-depressants, and sometimes you have to try a few different ones to find the right one for you.
They'll usually take 2 to 6 weeks to kick in.

Kerantli Mon 10-Jul-17 02:04:29

Echoing PPs

Talk to your doctor, they may tell you to persevere for a couple of weeks, or put you on something else

BackAwayFatty Mon 10-Jul-17 02:17:25

I was on Mirtazipine for about 18 month. The first week is terrible for tiredness. You do get used to it but I always had feeling of tiredness is the morning which meant it was difficult getting out of bed (I was already struggling with this. Sorted out my sleeping issues though! Pros & cons. On the flip side, it really did help my mood although made me a little angry. I would persevere for a couple of weeks & see how you go. If it's still not working, speak with your doctor for another anti-depressant to try. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now