Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Swimming

(24 Posts)
RoseVase2010 Sat 08-Jul-17 22:50:36

DS1 starts school in September, at which point I'll be about 30 weeks pregnant. I'm a bit of crap swimmer but would it be acceptable to go to lane swimming at the local pool and swim with a woggle?

I'm pretty active but this seems like a good low impact thing to do before birth.

Or should I ask if I can join the aqua fit class? That's low impact isn't it?

Sashkin Sat 08-Jul-17 22:56:57

Either of those would be fine. The lanes are usually segregated into fast, medium and slow, so you won't be in anyone's way (or if you are, they need to move up into a faster lane). As long as you are not like that woman on here a few months ago who wanted everyone else in the pool to get out and sit on the side while she did thirty minutes of aqua walking, you'll be fine! wink

mummyretired Sat 08-Jul-17 22:57:48

Yabu to take a woggle/noodle into lane swim; ok in non-lane swimming. This applies whether pg or not, yes it's great exercise, and so is aqua fit but do ask the instructor for advice.

mummyretired Sat 08-Jul-17 23:00:08

...unless you can position the noodle in such a way that there is still room to overtake, rather than sticking out sideways.

conserveisposhforjam Sat 08-Jul-17 23:00:10

that woman on here a few months ago who wanted everyone else in the pool to get out and sit on the side while she did thirty minutes of aqua walking

I was just thinking about that yesterday in the pool. I think you'll find she was 'hopping' grin

BlackStars Sat 08-Jul-17 23:00:23

our pool wont let those using swimming aids past a certain point from the shallow end so they would ask you to go back to the shallows or leave.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Jul-17 23:00:57

They might have an aqua natal class for pg ladies. If you do joint the ordinary aquafit class, then make sure the instructor knows (I guess at 30 weeks it will be obvious!) as there were exercises I wasn't allowed to do at Aquafit when I was pg.

At my poolyih are only meant to do Lane swimming if yo are a competent swimmer. Not sure about using a woggle.

SomethingOnce Sat 08-Jul-17 23:47:55

I did standard Aquafit throughout both pregnancies - the instructor gave me alternatives for the twisting and jumping movements, so just tell them.

Some of the women at the classes were complete non-swimmers and it wasn't a problem.

ijustwannadance Sat 08-Jul-17 23:56:51

Our local aqua natal was great as it was taught by midwives who then stayed and had a drink and chat.

outabout Sat 08-Jul-17 23:59:14

Most dignity and reason seem to go out of the window when pg so ditch the woggle and have armbands instead if you are not confident.
OK silly idea but it is late Saturday night!

fannyanddick Sun 09-Jul-17 00:06:27

I have no idea what a woggle is but can't you just do regular swimming?

BrieOnAnOatcake Sun 09-Jul-17 00:07:55

You couldnt use a woggle in lane swimming here but you could swim in a non lane session ansd swim with it l!!

BrieOnAnOatcake Sun 09-Jul-17 00:08:49

There's a pregnant person at aqua aerobics though if you fancied that!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Sun 09-Jul-17 00:13:41

I had to swim with a woggle in my last couple of months of pregnancy as all my bouyancy had gone!

I'm normally a strong swimmer, but ended up swimming widths in general sessions as I tired so easily. Normally floats aren't allowed beyond a certain depth although when I went to what was supposed to be aquanatal in week 39 by taxi as I couldn't fit behind the steering wheel, I got there and found out it was cancelled. I didn't want to immediately hail another taxi so paid for a swim then discovered that half the pool was lanes, and the shallow end of that pool was too shallow to attempt swimming in plus was too busy with lengths and asked permission from a lifeguard to do lengths with a woggle.

The swimming pool was a great sanctuary from the pain of SPD, carpal tunnel syndrome and excess weight!

GimbleInTheWabe Sun 09-Jul-17 00:29:49

I'm not usually a swimmer but started going again when I found out I was pg as I heard it was a great low impact exercise. I'm now 28 weeks and go about once a week.
No idea what a woggle is (isn't it what scouts wear?!) but I just stick to the slow lane as I'm not a strong swimmer either. Everyone else there is taking it slow and I never feel rushed. The pool I use is 50m though so I do get puffed out pretty quick!

BrieOnAnOatcake Sun 09-Jul-17 00:32:14

woggle/noodle/ plastic floaty stick that bends?

GimbleInTheWabe Sun 09-Jul-17 00:35:15

Ooooooh yes. I think I'd call it a noodle but I shall add woggle to my inner dictionary too, ta!
Yes in that case I agree that some places may not let you swim with a noodle but worth checking. At my pool people swim with those flipper feet things so maybe some 'equipment' as it were is allowed.

RoseVase2010 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:49:08

" can't you just do regular swimming?"

Yes, that would be great but my normal swimming is far more disruptive than using a woggle/noddle. I can only do what I thought was a front crawl but according to DH is actually me splashing 90% of the water out of the pool and not really moving anywhere.

Unless they'll let me snorkel? Is that acceptable? I can do that!

BrieOnAnOatcake Sun 09-Jul-17 09:52:21

I don't think you can use lanes without being a competent swimmer but use the pool when it's for normal use! It's lovely bringing the water when bigger and you can move where you want to.

Go for it!!

Roomster101 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:54:48

I think you should stay out of the lanes if you can't swim properly as you will prevent other people from swimming, even in the slow lane which isn't fair. I would go at a time when there aren't many children and swim in the main part of the pool.

Ameliablue Sun 09-Jul-17 10:02:21

Just go to a public session and use your woggle in the shallow end.

lljkk Sun 09-Jul-17 10:42:06

imho, you should NOT go in lanes. Lanes, even the slow lane, are usually crowded & the woggle will be a nuisance to others, everyone forced to swim in circles, only one way to go.

Swimming in some kind of "All welcome" (not lanes) session with the woggle would be fine, though, nobody will care.

ConstanceCraving Sun 09-Jul-17 10:47:34

I'd look for an aqua natal class in your shoes Op.

SuperBeagle Sun 09-Jul-17 10:58:58

I'd encourage you to go to an aqua aerobics class, OP. They're great for people who aren't confident swimmers, aren't capable of doing the regular laps/training or who have a "condition" that means that they can't do what they normally would (very good for pregnancy, people with bad joints etc).

My local pool is practically deserted during the day so there'd be no objection here to you bringing a noodle into the lanes, but that of course wouldn't apply everywhere. Maybe check the pool out and ask staff?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now