Talk

Advanced search

To reconsider a career within the NHS?

(5 Posts)
Soddingepiphany Sat 08-Jul-17 15:17:26

I have recently started on a path toward becoming a mental health nurse (luckily not too far yet to change direction) and I have people around me saying very worrying things, so far I have heard "There might not even be an NHS in a few years" and I have also heard that the degree to become a nurse won't be offered anymore? What!?

Google isn't helping, I can't seem to find anything other than the fact the NHS is offering apprenticeships, is this why the degree will no longer be offered?

I need to educate myself! This much at least I have figured out.

Any advice, information or even a nudge in the right direction towards some information would be greatly appreciated.

Troels Sat 08-Jul-17 15:41:11

Theres a huge shortage of Mental health nurses, do it.
I know a few, I'm RGN.
If I was training as RMN I'd work as a CPN the ones I've met have been very good and very helpful with the patients I have (dementia care)
One was only a CPN for 12 months (right out of Uni) before becoming a band 6 and is now doing a masters part time (paid for by the NHS)

Sherlockmaystealyourpug Sat 08-Jul-17 15:48:17

I'm just at the end of second year of an MA in MH nursing. Best thing I have ever done and I can't wait to qualify. Yes the NHS is in a worrying state and yes there are a lot of issues but it is still rewarding, interesting and constantly challenging. IF you do have serious doubts though do think carefully - I had a friend who wasnt sure in first year. We will be in our final 12 months from September and he is still struggling and hasn't enjoyed the course nearly as much. Good luck to you.

Scoobygang7 Sat 08-Jul-17 18:01:19

The degree is and will still be offered it was the diploma that is no longer offered.

MonsterQueen Sat 08-Jul-17 18:12:57

I have been Nursing for 30 years. Dually Qualified.

Run. Run as fast as you can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now