Talk

Advanced search

to think I didn't need to be in the cycle lane?

(12 Posts)
KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth Sat 08-Jul-17 10:45:17

This morning I nipped to the local shops on my bike. On the way back I got a puncture but didn't have anything with me to mend it.
In my town we have a great series of cycle lanes along the pavement, separated from the pedestrian part with a white line. I always use the cycle portion whilst riding my bike.

This morning as I wasn't actually on my bike for the return portion of my journey, I used the pedestrian section whilst pushing the bike.

A woman coming the opposite way, shouted "ah ah this is for walking only!" and wagged her finger at me. To which I replied "am I riding the bike?" and kept on walking.
As I walked passed she shouted "well her on the bloody bike then! Cyclists think they own the world!"

I didn't want to engage her in argument and kept on walking.

But surely I was in the right? I was walking, I would have been in as much danger as any pedestrian if I walked in the bike lane.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 08-Jul-17 10:46:15

You met a twat. Ignore the twat.

Nikephorus Sat 08-Jul-17 10:48:41

Maybe you should have walked on the pedestrian bit while pushing your bike in the cycle lane? Or picked it up and walked with it along the line that separates them?! grin

Bunbunbunny Sat 08-Jul-17 10:50:56

Ignore her, you can't push a bike along the cycle path. She had no idea if you had an injury, puncture or saddle sore!

justkeepswimmingg Sat 08-Jul-17 10:51:19

Cyclists can use the pavements so long as they aren't actually riding the bike. That woman was being rude unnecessarily, YWNBU.

vikingprincess81 Sat 08-Jul-17 10:53:50

you should have shoved your bike into her belly, then as she fell to the ground run away pointing, shouting there's a felled cyclist in the pedestrian lane nah, not U. On the other hand, wagging your fucking finger at a fellow grown up human is fucking ridiculous wink

Fiona1984 Sat 08-Jul-17 11:07:40

If you're not riding the bike, you're a pedestrian pushing a bike. That's why I used to like cycling, if you come across a path or crossing you're not technically allowed to cycle on, just jump off and push smile
Some people are just arses. I rode past a seemingly drunken couple on the path once and heard the woman mutter something about I should be on the road. This was on a clearly marked shared use path.

KERALA1 Sat 08-Jul-17 11:11:16

Weirdo. Her not you.

nornironrock Sat 08-Jul-17 11:19:58

Her problem, not yours. Cyclists are also under no obligation to use a cycle lane if it's safer to ride on the normal road. I often see cycle lanes parked on, with pedestrians on, or covered in detritus that'll cause punctures. I don't actually recall having used any in the UK.

user1486669405 Sat 08-Jul-17 11:41:28

I went into a theatre this week holding my helmet and pannier. A woman behind me pushed her fold up into the lobby.

The security officer screamed at me to 'get my bike out of here!!' My bike was locked up outside and over the road!!

I win the being unreasonable to cyclists weekly award. N'est pas?

user1486669405 Sat 08-Jul-17 11:42:33

Merde! I mean N'est-ce pas?!

nocake Sat 08-Jul-17 16:41:53

Some people have bizarre and unreasonable reactions to cyclists. It's like we're some sort of aliens instead of normal people who happen to ride bikes. Most of them don't know the law or they assume because they've seen one cyclist do something all of us also do it. I find a smile and wave normally confuses them, I suspect because they aren't very bright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now