Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you what it's like at the top of your career?

(6 Posts)
Pombearsandnaiceham Sat 08-Jul-17 05:18:58

Hi all.

I'm looking for a bit of careers inspiration please smile

I graduated from university a couple of years ago with a Languages degree. I'm now working in private tuition whilst I work out what kind of work I'd like to go into.

I've always loved writing and, for years, really wanted to go into journalism. When I was at university, I wrote for student newspapers and got work experience at a few different newspapers and magazines.

Although I still really love writing, and have kept up with it more recently through starting my own blog last year, I've more or less given up on trying to get into the journalism industry for now for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, journalism is constantly changing, so it's very difficult to see which direction it's heading in and what kind of employment opportunities will be available over the next few years.

Secondly, most (if not all) roles in journalism are London-based IME, and I won't be able to afford living in London whilst doing a journalism Master's (debatable whether this is preferred over industry experience as well) or while doing entry-level jobs in journalism.

In terms of careers, I'm particularly interested in areas such as education, charities, government and politics (something with a purpose if possible) and particularly the communications side of these sectors and areas of work.

I enrolled on a teacher training course last year, but unfortunately resigned because of ill mental health.

Although I've found that teaching isn't for me, I love doing tutoring and working with children, and I would love to get involved in another role in education.

(On a bit of a side-note, I keep on hearing McKinsey's name crop up for education projects work. I understand that the application process for somewhere like McKinsey will be incredibly competitive and I don't have an economics and finance background at all, if that's needed - I'm rubbish with numbers blush.

It's a long shot, but if anyone has any experience of working with McKinsey - particularly on the education side - would you be able to perhaps let me know what they look for in applicants please?)

I'm volunteering at the moment as an assistant leader with a local Brownies group and have started a term as a school governor, both of which I'm enjoying. I also volunteer weekly as a hospital radio station presenter and for a local charity which runs writing projects for children.

I've got a couple of AIBUs if that's okay:

First of all, AIBU to ask if there are any job roles that you might recommend to a (fairly) recent graduate who would like to get ahead and get experience but still keep all options fairly open (if that's even possible?) I'm caught in a bit of a catch-22 at the moment where employers want me to demonstrate experience for jobs, which I don't yet have blush

Secondly if you're currently in (or have been in) a career in an area like government and politics, the media, charity sector or education (especially a non-school-based role in education), AIBU to ask you about your career so far please?

What are the career progression and prospects like, as well as leadership prospects when you get to the top of your career? What does it look like at the very top of your career?

Thanks smile

Pombearsandnaiceham Sat 08-Jul-17 06:36:29

Just bumping this smile (I'm sorry my OP's so long!)

Pombearsandnaiceham Sat 08-Jul-17 07:24:33

Anyone? smile

lilydaisyrose Sat 08-Jul-17 07:27:12

Give people a chance - it's early!

Pombearsandnaiceham Sat 08-Jul-17 07:33:21

I'm so sorry - I'm on holiday in New Zealand at the moment, and got a bit confused about time difference blush

Pombearsandnaiceham Sat 08-Jul-17 10:24:53

Bump smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now