Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ringworm and hot tub parties

(33 Posts)
Sadcatlady69 Sat 08-Jul-17 02:00:21

So, my eldest daughter turns into a teen soon. I have splashed out, hired a hot tub, gazebo and fairy lights for the occasion. She has school friends coming for a sleep over one night, guides friends the next, family the next etc etc.

Yesterday, one of the invitee school friends for the first night announces that she has Ringworm on her calf. She has had one treatment yesterday, but the party is in two weeks.

From what I have read, Ringworm takes 2-4 weeks to recover from. This is not within our time frame. I told my daughter last night to tell her friend that she is most welcome to the party and sleepover, but she cannot share the hot tub with the other girls. The girl is upset, naturally. But this skin condition is spread by direct contact and that is surely going to occur in a hot tub environment.

Long and the short of it, is that I am not prepared to expose other kids, friends and family to this sort of contagion.

The girl in question is lovely, and I don't want to hurt her feelings, but at the same time I would be irresponsible to allow the possibility of cross infection to other guests.

I don't believe my stance is unreasonable, so I am not really asking whether I am being unreasonable. Rather, I am hoping for some ideas and suggestions about how I might proceed.

Thanks in advance.

DeadMorose Sat 08-Jul-17 02:06:47

Yanbu.
I had ringworm couple of times when I was a kid and it was a nightmare to get rid of. It also used to spread really fast, so I definitely wouldn't recommend to have her in the tub.

Whichwayyisup Sat 08-Jul-17 02:08:26

YANBU but it is a tricky situation.

Pengggwn Sat 08-Jul-17 05:13:16

Are you certain she is still contagious?

Silvercatowner Sat 08-Jul-17 05:19:12

T would've thought the ringworm fungal spores wouldn't survive the chemical soup of a hot tub.

Pengggwn Sat 08-Jul-17 05:20:34

No, they can definitely survive it and be passed on. But it think treatment prevents contagion even when the condition is still visible.

ZaraW Sat 08-Jul-17 05:22:15

I thought once treatment started you were only contagious for 48 hours but it takes a month to disappear.

MrsExpo Sat 08-Jul-17 05:56:33

Why not get some clear advice from a medical professional and use that to make an informed decision. You wouldn't let this girl mix with the others if she had, say, measles or some other infectious condition. Unfortunate, but if she's infectious, she needs to stay away for the good of the others.

wheredoesallthetimego Sat 08-Jul-17 10:02:43

Ringworm? You're being hugely over the top. It's not a serious infection.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 08-Jul-17 10:04:25

You do know ringworm is just athletes foot right? I think you are over reacting just a wee bit.

Rossigigi Sat 08-Jul-17 10:04:28

Ring your local pharmacy and ask there advice....

Rossigigi Sat 08-Jul-17 10:04:39

Their*

QueenArseClangers Sat 08-Jul-17 10:10:14

I thought your title was a 21st century version of Cider With Rosie.

Ifailed Sat 08-Jul-17 10:12:18

QueenArseClangers grin

Madbum Sat 08-Jul-17 10:16:02

Once treated it's no longer contagious, we're not allowed to exclude children with ringworm from our nursery as long as treatment has been started. YABU

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 08-Jul-17 10:17:59

YABU for considering a hot tub in first place.

Crumbs1 Sat 08-Jul-17 10:20:11

Exclude her from hot tub.
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Ringworm/Pages/Causes.aspx

Madbum Sat 08-Jul-17 10:57:27

What about a waterproof dressing?

Sadcatlady69 Sat 08-Jul-17 14:47:50

Thank you all. I looked at the NHS link and it seems that it's a good idea for her not to use the tub. That said, I'll speak to the pharmacist also. I know the girl in question has just started treatment the last day or two and the party is 24th July.

Sadcatlady69 Sat 08-Jul-17 14:49:35

Ummm....thanks also Chardonney for your unhelpful judgement on how I spend my money or how I celebrate my daughter's day. grin

SnickersWasAHorse Sat 08-Jul-17 14:50:27

I've had ringworm loads of times. If you grow up in the country you do. Generally you catch it by rubbing against a gatepost that an animal with ringworm has scratched themselves against. No idea about hot tubs though.

Sadcatlady69 Sat 08-Jul-17 14:50:49

Chardonnay - excuse typo.

Pengggwn Sat 08-Jul-17 15:01:32

OP, several people here have pointed out that she won't be contagious if she is undergoing treatment. Do you think that isn't true?

Sadcatlady69 Sat 08-Jul-17 15:44:28

Peng.....
I have no idea. I need to double check for sure with a medical professional really.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 08-Jul-17 15:59:40

That's ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now