Talk

Advanced search

WIBU - things in shared hallway

(29 Posts)
nevereverever83 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:41:16

Hi,

I live in a ground floor flat with shared freehold with upstairs owner occupiers. I have lived here for a year; they have lived here for at least five, I think. When we moved in, the communal hallway -- from the front door, leading to our flat door and then a staircase up to their flat door -- had a longish table in it, with some pot plants, and other nick nacks. They sometimes switch up the plants.

We have a very uninvolved relationship with upstairs overall -- not friendly by any means but also not stormy or anything like that.

I have decided I would like to store my bike in the hallway. It's a massive hassle hauling it in and out of the flat when I want to use it, especially as we have a steep internal staircase (and i am puny) but there's nowhere outside I can store it (no Sheffield stands in the front yard or anywhere nearby -- plus I don't want it nicked in any case!).

It takes up approx the same dimensions/floorspace as the hall table does. We all share the hallway equally. So my reasoning is: why should they get priority/first dibs? Why not us? (They also have a much bigger flat... ours is tiny).

And there isn't really space for a bike and a hall table. I don't really know what to do. In principle I know whats right but...???

SerfTerf Fri 07-Jul-17 18:43:11

*In principle I know whats right but...???"

But you want to change it anyway?

nancy75 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:43:17

I would be happy to walk past a table in the hallway, not happy with a bike, sorry

AnUtterIdiot Fri 07-Jul-17 18:45:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Intransige Fri 07-Jul-17 18:45:20

Aren't there fire regulations about shared hallways in apartment buildings and what you can store in them? I thought they had to be left clear?

Sirzy Fri 07-Jul-17 18:45:22

Surely nothing should be stored in a communal hallway? I thought normally fire safey rules said they should be clear?

KinkyAfro Fri 07-Jul-17 18:45:27

I wouldn't want a bike in the hallway either, not pretty to look at.

nancy75 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:47:49

I'm guessing a hall table is ok because they are usually flush with the wall & stable, if you are trying to get out in the dark & walk in to a bike it will fall over

SerfTerf Fri 07-Jul-17 18:47:54

I'm intrigued by your conviction as to what's right, @nevereverever83

Shoxfordian Fri 07-Jul-17 18:49:27

Have you asked your neighbours?

nevereverever83 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:49:29

It's not an apartment building it's just a house converted into two flats and we all equally share ownership (freehold) of the hallway.

If a bike in the hallway is unreasonable would it be unreasonable to ask about installing a bike shed in the front yard? (Would it be unreasonable of them to refuse)? It otherwise just has the wheelie bins in it and nobody uses it.

Queazy Fri 07-Jul-17 18:51:50

We had the same set up but were upstairs. It used to really irritate me that our neighbours put their bike and other crap in the hallway. It looked so cluttered with a bike there. A console table of sorts with plants on is decorative, a bike is just for storage means and not very attractive.

Queazy Fri 07-Jul-17 18:52:22

Go for a bike shed. Not unreasonable at all smile

Mouse510 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:52:35

Is there enough ceiling height in the hall for you to put up hooks and hang your bike on the wall?
I've seen that used in communal halls and inside tiny flats for bike storage.

Palomb Fri 07-Jul-17 18:53:30

They were there first OP and anyway bikes are ugly, plants are not.

SerfTerf Fri 07-Jul-17 18:53:50

If you have no table, post will end up shoved on the stairs and it will look decidedly down at heel straight away.

I'm agog that you're adducing their flat being larger as a relevant exhibit, too.

MrsPear Fri 07-Jul-17 18:54:36

I'm sorry but bikes should be outside. It looks like digs to have them inside. Also clean dry furniture vs a wet muddy bike?! No comparison. I would propose a bike shed - you can get some funky ones these days - I saw one with an organic roof and flowers!

frasersmummy Fri 07-Jul-17 18:54:42

In shared hallway there should be no obstruction in case of evacuation

TiddlesUpATree Fri 07-Jul-17 18:55:20

There shouldn't be anything stored in the hallway. Health and safety/fire risk.

19lottie82 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:57:15

Another vote to nothing should be there, both items are a fire hazard and an obstruction.

HelenaDove Fri 07-Jul-17 19:00:32

There are exceptions for mobility scooters.

www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=3588

chestylarue52 Fri 07-Jul-17 19:00:34

What's ugly about a bicycle?

user1495484765 Fri 07-Jul-17 19:02:12

We are not allowed to store anything - although one of the flats ignores every letter that comes from the property management company and continues to store their pram there. The letter quotes the fire issue.

(The pram is tucked under the stairs, you cannot trip over it, you can barely see it, so I don't have a problem with it but the PM company has a bee in its bonnet about it.)

BellyBean Fri 07-Jul-17 19:03:06

Bike shed sounds good, you could pose it as 'would you prefer a bike shed or remove the hall table?'

flumpybear Fri 07-Jul-17 19:06:30

This would definitely irritate me, it's not a table for specific people it's a table to put things on communally - bikes get in the way, pedals scratch and they're cumbersome - buy a shed and be done with it, or a cover and decent lock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: