Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that my DD eats far too much for her age (or any)?

(97 Posts)
tequilasontuesdays Tue 04-Jul-17 21:41:28

For context, breakfast was 3 waffles and 4 muffins followed by intermittent snacking of sugar throughout the day. Her activity level leaves much to be desired and she claims the weather is what causes her to keep eating. My grocery store bill has become incomprehensible and I fear visiting family because of what they may think when they try to feed her. She thinks nothing of polishing off a big steak and continuously complains of hunger pangs directly after her (very large) meals. Her blood tests are all normal but I fear for her current and future health. Granted she is a teen, but isn't this a bit much?

Orlandointhewilderness Tue 04-Jul-17 21:43:41

How old is she? Is she overweight?

19lottie82 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:44:39

Wow. Yes.

You say a teen but how old? Is she buying this food herself with her own money from a job? Or are you buying it? If the latter..... WHY?

Can you introduce her to my fitness pal so she can log her eating and see that it's far too much junk?

tequilasontuesdays Tue 04-Jul-17 21:44:52

Overweight and lacks motivation to do anything

19lottie82 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:45:38

A large steak isn't too bad, full her up with "good" carbs on the side, but the breakfast example and lots of snacking on sugary stuff is not good.

tequilasontuesdays Tue 04-Jul-17 21:48:15

13. She does not have her own money yet, though we give her a small monthly allowance which is spent on chocolate..

I already installed mfp on her phone but she can't be arsed to log anything.

Ifartrainbowsandglitter Tue 04-Jul-17 21:48:23

How old is she and roughly what does she weigh? Teenagers are able to eat a huge quantity of food as their brains and bodies grow. If she's not overweight I'd say leave well alone.

LouHotel Tue 04-Jul-17 21:50:06

I was an overweight teenager and food was an emotional crutch for my unhappiness at school, it then becomes a lifestyle.

Do you think its glutinous or a reaction to something?

Ifartrainbowsandglitter Tue 04-Jul-17 21:50:24

Oh I sorry I crossed posted and see she is overweight. As someone who struggles with weight my best advice is stick to protein and reduce sugar but sometimes you can't do right with a teenager so she has to want help. Try not to worry too much. It could just be a phase.

tequilasontuesdays Tue 04-Jul-17 21:50:32

It is her constant hunger pangs that concern me. She has very little social life, just one friend with similar eating patterns, I am afraid.

californication87 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:50:55

That does seem like a lot. Is she overweight? If so, I would try to gradually cut down her food intake, but if not I wouldn't worry too much as she could just have a fast metabolism.

Maybe take her to your GP and see if they can give you any advice?

Supersoaryflappypigeon Tue 04-Jul-17 21:51:44

Do not buy waffles, muffins etc. Only offer healthy foods. It could be an eating disorder (and it sounds as it if might be) but one thing you can do is limit her access to unhealthy foods.

19lottie82 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:51:53

I'm sorry but you're buying the food and enabling her to eat 3 waffles and 4 muffins for breakfast!

Get the junk out of the house! She's a child, she needs your guidance.

VestalVirgin Tue 04-Jul-17 21:52:13

Tell her some facts about the benefits of eating complex carbohydrates.

As she's eating loads of sugar, it is no wonder she's hungry again immediately after eating; it makes her blood sugar spike, then the body produces lots of insulin to cope with it, and then her blood sugar is too low, causing hunger.

I'd say it is normal for a growing teen to eat a lot, so wouldn't be worried about the polishing off of large steaks, but foods that contain just sugar and nothing much in the way or minerals or vitamins aren't ideal.

Calvinlookingforhobbs Tue 04-Jul-17 21:52:15

Why are you providing all this sugar? Make her some porridge at breakfast!
Do you set a good example?
She is likely on a cycle of craving sugar which is leaving her lacking energy. As her parent you need to step up here and get a handle of this now. Don't nag or mock her but support, encourage and be a role model in your own diet too. Do things with her, walk to the park etc. Sorting this out now is going to be much easier for your daughter than in 5 or 10 years time.

indigox Tue 04-Jul-17 21:52:46

Sugar addiction. Stop having it in the house.

californication87 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:52:59

Sorry, cross post!

I would definitely be concerned.

FacelikeaBagofHammers Tue 04-Jul-17 21:53:14

Why are you buying all that junk and enabling her behaviour? This is the time when you really need to watch her weight and activity levels, especially as you said she's already overweight.

Nothing wrong with polishing off a steak btw, once it's eaten with veg and not a load of chips.

She's a child at 13 and you really need to educate her on diet and set a good example. And quit buying the junk!

FeckinCrutches Tue 04-Jul-17 21:53:48

Why on earth are you letting her eat four muffins for breakfast? shock
I'm sorry, I doubt she has hunger pains all the time,sounds like boredom to me.

blubberball Tue 04-Jul-17 21:54:22

You probably need to take control of what food you're buying in. She's 13, and she shouldn't just be helping herself to whatever she wants surely. Stop buying muffins, waffles and sugary snacks, and get some healthy snacks in instead. It won't do anyone any harm to stop buying the cakey sugary items. Good luck. I do appreciate that it can't be easy, and it's not straight forward or black and white. But you're the adult, and your child needs your guidance. You need to take control.

DeanKoontz Tue 04-Jul-17 21:56:16

Could she be depressed? bored?

Stop buying unhealthy food, cut her allowance (though obvs still pay for activities etc) and fill the house with fruit and veg.

What kind of activities will she do with you? Pamper nights / swimming / shopping / walking?? Could you book a race for life event or colour run together for motivation?

tequilasontuesdays Tue 04-Jul-17 21:56:22

Thanks for everyone's insight.. The rest of us are fairly health-conscious and I am very opposed to sugary snacks but am afraid of tantrums if she is denied access to her treats. Sugar is her Achilles' heel unfortunately and food seems so central to her life that it is worrying.

JigglyTuff Tue 04-Jul-17 21:57:35

If she's only 13, why are you letting her eat 3 waffles and 4 muffins for breakfast?

She obviously isn't hungry

FeckinCrutches Tue 04-Jul-17 21:59:47

Afraid of tantrums? This is completely of your own making I'm afraid. Do some bloody parenting. How did she get all these snacks if the rest of you eat healthy?

JigglyTuff Tue 04-Jul-17 22:00:11

Sorry - posted too soon. I mean she can't possibly be hungry after eating an enormous meal.

Don't give her shit to eat because you're worried about tantrums. She's a child and you're the parent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now