Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleepover question

(42 Posts)
worrywart98 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:33:28

I have a tendency to be anxious/worrisome and I'm not sure if I'm being OTT about this or not...

So my ds has been invited to a sleepover at my dsis house with his cousin. And the idea is that they'll be sleeping in a tent in the garden. Dc very sensible and keen to go, but is only 5 years old. Two other mutual friends invited and I trust my dsis implicitly.

However - from what I can gather (we have only chatted about it briefly) my dsis is not planning to sleep in the tent with the kids and will be inside asleep in the house. Not a huge garden but still...

Am I right in thinking this is not great?? What if dc wake up and wonder where they are/get cold etc? Not to mention the fact that it just doesn't feel safe somehow?! Garden is accessible by a gate onto the street...and big fields behind it...

Feel free to tell me to calm down and that this scenario is fine! Or that I'm justified in feeling uncomfortable with this and say no unless an adult is with them??

dementedpixie Tue 04-Jul-17 21:34:46

No I wouldn't be happy for a 5 year old to sleep outside without an adult

Bakergirl90 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:35:37

No I wouldn't be happy about that either. Even in a enclosed garden I don't think I would be happy.

ANiceSliceOfCake Tue 04-Jul-17 21:36:44

No way, not OTT atal!

AtHomeDadGlos Tue 04-Jul-17 21:36:48

They'll be fine

coconutpie Tue 04-Jul-17 21:37:27

No way, I would not be happy about that at all.

DonaldStott Tue 04-Jul-17 21:37:41

Nope I wouldn't allow my 8 yo to do this never mind a 5yo.

Maxandrubyrubyandmax Tue 04-Jul-17 21:38:14

How old are the other kids? I don't think I would let my DS who is also 5 sleep outside without an adult there

beachbodyunready Tue 04-Jul-17 21:40:26

No! 5year olds are just too young. What if they get scared at 3 in the morning and no one hears them because they're asleep? No just too young.

Imaginosity Tue 04-Jul-17 21:40:29

No way. There are regular house burglaries where I live - often accessing the house from the rear. If some robber is prowling around in the dark in my garden i don't want my child sleeping there in a tent.

FloatyCat Tue 04-Jul-17 21:40:41

No way, not if there's no adult there. Anyone could be creeping about gardens at night time.

californication87 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:40:51

How old are the other kids? If they were all 5, I would say no, but if there are older kids there too I don't see a problem with it.

JennyBlueWren Tue 04-Jul-17 21:41:23

I would have been camping out in the garden at that age. I remember having a younger friend to sleep over (when I was about 7) and she got scared (of woodlice?) so I went in and told my dad for her. If they're up for it then let them. What's the worst that happens? They wake cold/scared and go into the house scared and wake Dsis who makes them hot chocolates and they sleep in the living room instead? They are put off camping possibly? I wouldn't force a child to do it but if they're up for it then it's a great memory to have.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 04-Jul-17 21:42:30

Not without an adult at that age. Maybe even if the adult is just in a tent next door. I think mine were about 10 before we let them camp out and then my husband would sleep on the sofa in the garden room with the door open (and usually one kid would end up inside at some point).

teacher54321 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:42:45

No my 5yo would not cope with that at all. Far too young to be outside without a grown up.

Sunshinegirls Tue 04-Jul-17 21:43:09

Chances are they will be fine but there's absolutely no way I'd let my kids do it!

Supersoaryflappypigeon Tue 04-Jul-17 21:43:23

Not a chance. Not at 5.

andbabymakesthree Tue 04-Jul-17 21:47:33

Teens yes. Age 5. Not a chance!

PoppyStellar Tue 04-Jul-17 21:47:40

YANBU at all. There was a case, in north Wales I think, of young children who were camped out in the garden whilst adults slept in the house. One of the girls was murdered. It was a horrific and heartbreaking case.

LellyMcKelly Tue 04-Jul-17 21:48:01

No chance, but then we live near a common and there are foxes and other animals roaming round at night, even in the enclosed garden.

FloatyCat Tue 04-Jul-17 21:53:54

Yes PoppyStellar, that poor girls death is what I was thinking about. It was a horrific murder in the mid 90's. It has stuck with me all these years.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Tue 04-Jul-17 21:55:14

Nooo, not at 5!! What if they got scared? Or went for a wander thinking they was Indiana Jones or something?!

Indiana Jones child wasn't me.. honest

limon Tue 04-Jul-17 21:58:34

No way Jose! 5 is way too young.

Glumglowworm Tue 04-Jul-17 22:10:59

No way! I'm all for independence but five is so very little! Sleeping in a tent is a novelty but if they wake up scared in the night it's terrifying! So very dark, cold, weird noises, and no adult within easy reach.

Five is fairly young for a normal indoors sleepover. I would never agree to a five year old camping in the garden unless an adult was with them. Even if the adult was in a next door tent I'd worry that the child wouldn't know how to get out of the tent in the dark.

Keepingupwiththejonesys Tue 04-Jul-17 22:16:11

That was my first thought too poppystellar. I have a 4 year old and she's very, very sensible, no way would this be happening. We live in a house where access to the back garden is impossible from the back. You'd have to either come through the house or manage to get over two high fences, still wouldn't allow it until much older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now