Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

School makes children clean if they talk in class?

(128 Posts)
Whynotme99 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:35:31

What are your thoughts on this? It seems to be a regular occasion in our school, children who say something in one particular class without raising their hand are made to wash windows in break time. Mine have not done it yet (!) but they talk about it. Aibu to think this is not acceptable. This is secondary school.

YouTheCat Tue 04-Jul-17 17:36:38

In Japanese schools the students do all the cleaning. I think it's a good thing.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 04-Jul-17 17:39:02

I don't have a problem with it.

DS (@ grammar school) was made to clean chewing gum off the underside of desks for some misdemeanour or another . Irrelevant, he broke a rule, he knew what the consequences were. Apparently I was the only parent in living memory who didn't have a complete hissy fit about it.

Frankly a little more community participation and they might stop littering the play grounds, graffing the desks and filling the bogs with paper towels.

19lottie82 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:39:58

Why not? Teaches them discipline and respect. The little snowflakes won't melt.

HighwayDragon1 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:40:03

Good! A little bit of community service won't do them any harm, but can do a whole lot of good.

Pengggwn Tue 04-Jul-17 17:40:06

Bit torn on this. On the one hand, it isn't their job and you could argue it is forced labour. On the other, that seems a bit hysterical; cleaning up the school community and facilities may be a legitimate way to firm up the message that we are responsible for the overall quality of the learning environment.

EyeHalveASpellingChequer Tue 04-Jul-17 17:42:03

YABU

They know the consequences for talking in class but they choose to talk anyway.

Cranberryurgh Tue 04-Jul-17 17:42:28

I think its not bad, break a rule, do something that benefits everyone to make up for it, it's a more productive punishment then lines or whatever. It used to be picking up litter at my school for detention.

GreatFuckability Tue 04-Jul-17 17:44:53

Wouldn't bother me. in my school if you misbehaved you were sent out litter picking in the yards. put people off being twats.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 04-Jul-17 17:59:23

For FUCK'S SAKE, children NEED to learn that they are accountable for their behaviour, and acting out has consequences. This trend of treating kids like little snowflakes is totally out of hand. Doing a bit of harmless cleaning is something ALL kids should be doing. When did the belief of teaching children self-reliance and accountability get thrown out the window? Coddling them will do them no favors.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 04-Jul-17 18:00:33

Saves on the school cleaning budget.

What's not to like?

strawberrygate Tue 04-Jul-17 18:01:37

What exactly do you think may be unreasonable about it?

Justhadmyhaircut Tue 04-Jul-17 18:03:26

When my dc are acting up they get chores. Same thing. .
Instilling looking after their environment can only be a good thing for deterring vandalism/ littering in the future imo.

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 04-Jul-17 18:03:27

Genuinely don't understand what your issue is with this? It's not dangerous or excessive punishment.

blueskyinmarch Tue 04-Jul-17 18:05:09

Far more productive than writing lines!

BarbarianMum Tue 04-Jul-17 18:05:42

Wouldn't bother me but then I've never viewed cleaning as an inherently humiliating or degrading activity.

chemenger Tue 04-Jul-17 18:08:57

What punishment would be acceptable? This seems like a good idea to me. Cleaning windows is hardly breaking rocks, it's not demeaningor humiliating, it's not cruel, it's not pointless like lines or copying things out, it is useful and improves the work environment.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 04-Jul-17 18:09:38

I like the fact schools are issuing differing consequences than just detention nowadays!

My ds (who is autistic so hyper focuses on things as he gets anxious!) spent 20 minutes this morning obsessing (again!) over his strict maths teachers rules. She is particularly strict about having the right equipment and talking out of turn.
She sets detentions before school at 8 am and allows the students to buy equipment off her if they forget it! <genius!>
I simply told him again that as his escourt/transport (school over 3 miles away) he won't be attending at 8 so stop stressing and why shouldn't the teacher make a profit from it when she also had her petrol and time costs to make up from having to buy the equipment.

I then pointed it it would make more sense for him and others to spend 20 seconds checking they have everything rather than hours complaining about her methods.

I'm not sure he agrees but that did shut him up at least grin

Wumpychoo Tue 04-Jul-17 18:12:30

I don't mind this. It's productive as it teaches them a skill.

Wumpychoo Tue 04-Jul-17 18:19:49

And i did have to do cleaning detentions myself for three nights in the 80s, so am speaking from experience of it myself. grin

picklemepopcorn Tue 04-Jul-17 18:25:10

We had to sand and revarnish desks. Showing my age...

sadeyedladyofthelowlands63 Tue 04-Jul-17 18:29:42

We had to sand and revarnish desks.

So did I (after a friend and I had written our names on one)!

cattychatty Tue 04-Jul-17 18:32:21

Always said to mine if you don't want a punishment don't do the crime. Knowing the rules and breaking them anyway well you pretty much deserves what you get

Allthewaves Tue 04-Jul-17 18:32:46

I think it's a good idea. Much more useful form of punishment

upperlimit Tue 04-Jul-17 18:34:47

I think it's great, I might introduce it at home grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now