Talk

Advanced search

Help me save the shrew!

(9 Posts)
AlletrixLeStrange Tue 04-Jul-17 12:34:43

My cats brought in a shrew and it's not dead but not moving either. It's heart is beating and it's twitching. I've put it on grass but it's not moving! Can I save it?!

AlletrixLeStrange Tue 04-Jul-17 12:36:50

He's gone sad

Soubriquet Tue 04-Jul-17 12:39:31

Oh dear sad

Problem with wild animals, especially small ones, is they can suffer shock so easily.

It didn't really stand a chance if it was suffering shock

Rip little shrew

glitterglitters Tue 04-Jul-17 12:39:59

Poor shrew 

Kudos for trying though @AlletrixLeStrange xxx

AlletrixLeStrange Tue 04-Jul-17 12:43:35

I'm so sad.

My cat is relentless, she kept killing animals and bringing them in and I gave her a good telling off so now she brings them in alive still and I can't bare to see any animal suffer.
The local wildlife centre is probably getting sick of the site of me.

I'm probably being a bit too emotional about this!

Magicpaintbrush Tue 04-Jul-17 12:54:14

Poor shrew sad

Unfortunately little animals like this die so easily from shock and fright, even if there is no blood or obvious injury. We had similar with birds and mice with our cat years ago - never anything obviously injured but they just seemed to shut down with the shock.

I had a pet rat who had heart failure whilst being handled by the vet because he didn't know him and was frightened (albeit he was ill) - fully expected to be taking him home with some medicine but he got so distressed he died very suddenly. They are so little I think it doesn't take much.

MollyHuaCha Tue 04-Jul-17 13:08:31

RIP little shrew halo

LastMinuteH0l Tue 04-Jul-17 22:18:39

I heard that cats dont eat shrews because they give off some sort of toxic smell (anyone else heard of this ?)

However I have seen cats catching and playing with shrews, but not eating them

AlletrixLeStrange Tue 04-Jul-17 22:48:39

Last that's interesting.
Killer cat brought one in dead the other day and my other cat literally ate it whole. It was vile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: