Talk

Advanced search

To apply for jobs I'm not fully qualified for

(23 Posts)
SuperLoveFuzz Sat 01-Jul-17 01:27:53

Since leaving school I have worked in call centres related to pensions and life insurance. I have always excelled and been seen as one of the top performers and role models. I'm 25 now and during my 7 years of experience I've had a child (3 year old DD) and managed to get out of an abusive relationship. I have suffered from depression which in the last year I have really got a grip on through medication and general improvements in my life.
I am intelligent and good at streamlining processes and keeping customer focus. My current role is more of a client (customers with around 70k pension) relationship manager than a call handler.
I have the opportunity to undertake 2 out of 6 financial exams, degree equivalent, paid for by my current company. Possibly the other 4 if I make a good business case. These wouldn't be totally unaffordable (with the help of my lovely dad) if I was to pay for them myself.
I have been browsing jobs where I meet 4/5 of the essential criteria and some of the desired. Huge salary differences, between high twenties and 40k.
My current job is really close to home so I'd have to take into account travel costs too.
Is it worth calling the contacts for these jobs, being totally upfront and selling myself?
I really feel that so far in life something that has held me back is being too honest about my mistakes and flaws and not shouting about my attributes.
Does anyone in the industry or who can relate have input?

WildKiwi Sat 01-Jul-17 02:01:33

I've been to a few talks recently aimed at encouraging women in the workplace. On leaving school/university men and women often start in a similar position salary/position wise, but then men often get ahead of women.

There are factors such as women taking time out to stay home with children, but one of the other factors which may lead to men getting ahead faster in the workplace could be that men will put themselves forward more. Women tend to hold back from applying for promotions or jobs because they don't tick all of the criteria, whereas men are much more likely to go for it and not worry about the one attribute on the criteria list they don't have.

Obviously these are all generalities, but if you meet a lot of the criteria for a job and believe you can do it I think have a go and talk up how great you are. What's the worst that will happen?

SuperLoveFuzz Sat 01-Jul-17 02:06:07

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I want to make it an initial phonecall where I sell myself like mad and see what happens. Worst is I don't get any further. A lot of what is leading me towards this is that I see people getting ahead in my work just by talking a good game. Coincidentally all males.

VimFuego101 Sat 01-Jul-17 02:06:16

What WildKiwi said. A man meeting most of the criteria would apply! I am interviewing at the moment and out of 5 things stated in the job ad, only two are really hard and fast. I would compromise on the rest if the person showed potential.

WildKiwi Sat 01-Jul-17 02:19:25

And remember it's not all down to qualifications. Personality is also a factor. You might have a candidate who fits all the criteria, but won't be a good fit in terms of personality for the team and someone who's not quite as qualified but gets the job because they will fit into the team better.

Good luck!

SuperLoveFuzz Sat 01-Jul-17 02:30:38

I haven't excelled at interviews (and by that I mean I have bombed them) in the past but I haven't done many. I had to interview for my current role twice, then won best newcomer at our annual awards.
My perception of myself and from general feedback (I'm someone who gives it so people feel they can give it back) about 80% of people do like me and 20% find me a bit irritating and hard to work with. Personally I feel 5-10% of these are longtimers in the same role who feel threatened by a newbie pushing themselves.
In my role I see people delivering training and I'm like WHY IS THIS TRAINING I know all of this. I guess it's having the confidence to know that you know more. Based on these experiences I now feel I do, but how do I sell myself for a role 10k+ what I'm on now?

SuperLoveFuzz Sat 01-Jul-17 02:36:53

Thought I mentioned, current salary is around 22k including benefits

SuperLoveFuzz Sat 01-Jul-17 02:52:55

Vim... never heard of him fuego. Love googling mn names. Must admit I'm a 'Spotify hot hits' loyal with a soft spot for R.E.M. And guns n . This is a new fave. Thank you!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 01-Jul-17 08:11:53

What is the actual job? Unless it needs particular qualifications you don't have I can't see the harm in applying.

wrinkleseverywhere Sat 01-Jul-17 08:30:36

Of course you should apply. There's no point in applying for a job where you can do everything as you'll just get bored.

Holidaygirlsummer Sat 01-Jul-17 09:08:47

Apply,I applied for my current job having no experience.Unlike you i had no experience and came from a totally different back round.

I phoned them up spoke to the recruitment guy, He agreed to give me an interview and i got the job there and then .

iv been there coming up to a year and im heading for a promotion.Already had a pay rise of just over 1000 per year extra.

What im trying to say is ,go for it you never know

ChildishGambino Sat 01-Jul-17 10:23:19

Do it! I randomly applied for a job once which was 10k more and got it. After that I applied for one which was 15k more and got that. If you don't apply you won't be considered. Believe in yourself.

GreenTulips Sat 01-Jul-17 10:45:16

Most men apply for jobs they aren't qualified for - have a look at your managers and see who's doing a good job?

Apply - only when you are offered a position should you then consider travel etc - until then it's not yours!

A lot of companies will pay for qualifications - it's worth asking

Interview - make your negatives into positives - google interview techniques

For example - I am very persistent where others would give in - but I want to do a good job and see things are done correctly

Rossigigi Sat 01-Jul-17 11:02:50

Just put your cv in, I've been head hunted for positions I don't tick all the boxes for. Just go for it and remer for every no you are on step closer to a yes. Good luck X

Rossigigi Sat 01-Jul-17 11:04:50

* remember not remer lol

walkinganhouraday Sat 01-Jul-17 11:09:27

I don't have any knowledge of your particular area but you should definitely give it a go.

I read recently that most men will apply for jobs even though they may have only 3/10 skills required but women will not apply unless they have 7/10 of those skills.

You can do it!

theymademejoin Sat 01-Jul-17 11:14:31

It depends on what the missing criterion is. If it's a compulsory qualification for the job (surgeon job but you're not a doctor 😁) then no, otherwise go for it. It would be very rare for a candidate to fully meet all the criteria.

Witchend Sat 01-Jul-17 11:45:28

I'd say go for them, you have nothing to lose:

But My perception of myself and from general feedback (I'm someone who gives it so people feel they can give it back) about 80% of people do like me and 20% find me a bit irritating and hard to work with. Personally I feel 5-10% of these are longtimers in the same role who feel threatened by a newbie pushing themselves.
does raise some alarm bells for me. I'd have thought finding 1 in 5 people who find you a bit irritating in the workplace was a little high. But you've then dismissed half those people as it being them that's the issue.

Groupie123 Sat 01-Jul-17 12:36:08

You should apply for any job you want where you meet at least 50 per cent of the requirements. Where it's your industry as little as 10 per cent will do. Most recruiters won't ever find the perfect client and are willing to look for people with less relevant role experience if they have interesting experience else where - hence the reason why a lot of silicon valley types are now moving into senior banking roles, and vice versa.

maggiethemagpie Sat 01-Jul-17 12:49:13

I've been applying for jobs at the next rung on the ladder in my current profession as I want to progress and there aren't any opportunities in my current place of work. I must have applied for about 80-100 and have had no interest whatsoever! I thought someone may see that I had potential as I am already working in that industry, albeit at a more junior level, but it is the next logical step up, it's not like I'm applying for really senior posts to what I'm currently doing. It is quite disheartening.

So my advice is, if you have a thick skin and are willing to face lots of rejection then do it, but it may be (as I have found) not the best use of your time. Try and it and see for yourself though.

SleightOfHand Sat 01-Jul-17 13:35:39

Go for it. Confidence not arrogance goes a long way. Like PP have said, what have you got to loose. Good luck to you.

GreenPetal94 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:54:35

Agree that there is nothing to lose from trying. Interviews are key when you are changing jobs, but with careful preparation and a lot of confidence you can come across great. Think through what they are likely to ask, or pick up on and prepare prepare prepare.

I have succeeded in staying part-time through a number of job moves and promotions, just by asking after interviews for full-time jobs. As I work in a team it works out fine, but would never be advertised.

FloatyCat Sat 01-Jul-17 13:57:24

Definitely go for it, you sound like you have a great attitude

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now