Talk

Advanced search

To report this?

(42 Posts)
boffin9207 Sat 01-Jul-17 00:06:42

or just have a whinge?!

Just got home, live in a new build block of flats. All flats either market rent or shared ownership. Area okay but not great. Walked in the entrance and the whole of downstairs absolutely stinks of weed! By the post room, lift and communal main entrance.

Not the first time this has happened but definitely the worst, stench wise. There is a flat on the ground floor by the lift so assume it is coming from there.

WWYD? Suck it up or anonymously complain to landlord? Don't want to create any ruction with the neighbours that I don't know but it's pretty unpleasant.

Autofillcontact Sat 01-Jul-17 00:11:08

I don't imagine much will happen whether you do or not tbh

Why don't you pop down and speak to them tomorrow?

19lottie82 Sat 01-Jul-17 00:12:21

The police won't do anything. I'd speak to the landlord.

boffin9207 Sat 01-Jul-17 00:13:41

Because I'm a wuss! Surely the landlord should be doing something - there's a clause in the contract about not doing anything illegal on the premises.

It's just a bit awkward and I'm not good at this sort of thing. I know from just being out and about there's one or two blokes living in that flat and I suppose if I went down I would feel a bit intimidated.

SheSaidHeSaid Sat 01-Jul-17 06:26:02

Tell landlord to write to them about the breach of lease. But other than that there's little they or the police can or will do about it unless you have evidence they're dealing.

araiwa Sat 01-Jul-17 06:52:35

LL wont care about someone smoking a spliff nor will the police.

Unless you mean it smells like a weed factory which would seem unlikely...

The sooner its legalized so people can enjoy a peaceful smoke at home, the better

RedHelenB Sat 01-Jul-17 06:55:08

As long as they haven't got a cannabis farm in the flat I soubtvthe landlord could do anything. Is there a no smoking clause?

RedStripeIassie Sat 01-Jul-17 07:01:52

I really doubt the police will do anything. Does the smell bother you or the fact it's illegal?

If you're around the smell all the time you really don't notice it like tobacco. It wasn't till I moved that I noticed the smell of both and literally washed everything that smelt cushions, dds soft toys, towel, everything smelt and I'd not noticed!!

Maybe leave an anonymous note under the their door just saying it smells a bit and could they move it onto the balcony sometimes.

AwaywiththePixies27 Sat 01-Jul-17 07:03:08

Check your tenancy agreement OP for a no smoking clause.

Weed absolutely stinks so I dont think you're whinging. brew

Bur there seems to be little you can do about it nowadays, there was a man at DCs old school who always reaked of the stuff at 9am and you'd have to cover your face when he breezed past. 😷 (I'm asthmatic).

Toysaurus Sat 01-Jul-17 07:53:07

Someone in our flats must have complained about the weed smoker here. It's a housing association with a similar set up like yours and they take no shit with things like this. They sent letters to all the residents telling them it was a breach of contract taking drugs and to stop. And it did straight away.

boffin9207 Sat 01-Jul-17 11:52:47

Thanks for your comments.

There is a clause in our lease not to cause nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to others in the building and another that prohibits anything unlawful or illegal and another that prohibits smoking in the communal parts.

It is both the smell and the fact it is illegal. I cannot stand the smell of it and it is unfair. Hopefully won't get flamed for saying this but I think of it in a negative way. It is illegal, there is a reason for it and I completely disagree with it being legalised. I have a sibling with MH issues and is addicted to it. That's a whole other issue but no doubt affects my perception.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Sat 01-Jul-17 12:33:06

It's disgusting and seeps everywhere

Report it

WinchestersInATardis Sat 01-Jul-17 12:39:41

I like RedStripeIassie's suggestion.

Pop a polite anonymous note under the door as a first step if you're feeling intimidated/don't want trouble.
If it doesn't stop, then go to LL, then police.

Pengggwn Sat 01-Jul-17 12:41:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissionItsPossible Sat 01-Jul-17 12:46:41

I am telling you right now unless there is a suggestion that they are dealing or growing the police will not do a thing. Complain to your landlord if you want to.

boffin9207 Sat 01-Jul-17 15:22:14

I know the police won't do anything about it, my issue was more whether or not to say anything to the Landlord. I will tell them next week when I speak to them (we have some ongoing repair works).

I did think of slipping something under the door but nothing will slide through. I checked when I did the bins this morning smile

Squarerouteofsquirrel Sat 01-Jul-17 15:29:26

Are the neighbours bothersome in any other way? If they just smoking the occasional spliff, I think I'd be inclined to just leave them be, if they are otherwise ok. Shouldn't get any agro off them at least.

OhhBetty Sat 01-Jul-17 15:37:05

Tbh I would leave it. I understand people don't like the smell but surely you can't smell it in your home? They're likely just unwinding at the end of the day or whatever just like people who have a glass of wine.
It could also be used for pain relief? My friend uses it when her condition flares up because her GP refuses to prescribe anything strong enough to give her relief because shes "too young to be on pain meds". Without this her flare ups would be unbearable.
I am all for the legalisation of it. It is less harmful than alcohol ffs.

nocake Sat 01-Jul-17 15:40:58

Mention it to the landlord. Our tenants complained about the smell of weed so we contacted the landlord of the other flats and he emailed the other tenants. They haven't had a problem since then.

RinonaWyder Sat 01-Jul-17 15:41:13

I agree OP, I don't think it should be legalised. It may well be less harmful than other drugs but when people don't get the same high from it any more they'll move onto harder drugs. I have friends who use it occasionally and I wish to God they wouldn't.

Greenkit Sat 01-Jul-17 15:55:12

The police will do something, it is an offence and stinks.

WorraLiberty Sat 01-Jul-17 15:59:43

What do you think the police are going to do Greenkit?

Spare an officer when they're so short of them, to go round and knock on the door, just so the residents can deny having a spliff in their own home?

PetalsOnPearls Sat 01-Jul-17 16:05:26

Police may actually do something about.

Do you have shared electricity or water bills? Have they increased recently?

It can often be part of a bigger issue and there maybe either a cannabis farm in the premises, or they could be dealing. It may not just be stoners hot boxing their flat.

I'd report it via 111.

PetalsOnPearls Sat 01-Jul-17 16:05:35

Urghk 101.

LexieLulu Sat 01-Jul-17 16:14:40

I hate the smell of it, i don't care if people smoke it, but if I can smell it I feel ill.

Hope you get it sorted OP, I wouldn't want to live near that smell xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now