Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not pay this parking ticket

(19 Posts)
TT38 Thu 29-Jun-17 16:27:09

So back in Feb my car broke down, due to Vauxhall being totally useless the lovely RAC man said he'd sort me a hire car.
Hire car got dropped off and the next day I parked in a local car park, paid on the parking app I use and off i went.
However the app still had 'my' car reg on..the hire car was obviously checked by the parking inspector and appeared no ticket so I got a parking fine.
I emailed and appealed the ticket to the council re the ticket that I'd paid for and got no reply.
I queried it a few weeks later and had a response that I needed to wait for the next stage. I never heard anything till last week when I had another fine off the hire company for getting a ticket on one of their vehicles.
Today I've received a representations form as to why I think I shouldn't pay it.

One friend says just pay it £75
One says not to as I have paid to park.

Your thoughts??!

SomeOtherFuckers Thu 29-Jun-17 16:45:17

You have to pay it because By your mistake the car which was parked was not paid for .. your other absent car was paid for but was not there.
Where the fault lies is with you and so the price must be paid.
It's piss annoying I know.

ilovesooty Thu 29-Jun-17 17:10:08

Pay the fine. It really was your responsibility to ensure that the correct vehicle was registered.

NicolasFlamel Thu 29-Jun-17 17:14:04

Understandable mistake but you should pay it.

TT38 Thu 29-Jun-17 17:22:25

Thanks for the replies. Does it matter which vehicle was in the parking space..at the end of the day I paid for a parking ticket?!

Obviouspretzel Thu 29-Jun-17 17:22:31

Why on earth should they pay it? They paid to park! The situation may arise where you ending up having to pay it, but why the fuck would you agree to off the bat?

SoupDragon Thu 29-Jun-17 17:31:30

Can you prove that the registered car was not parked there? Anyone could claim that they paid for the wrong car registration.

flossyfloss Thu 29-Jun-17 17:49:24

I've done the same but I paid for the right car when I realised and then rung the parking company straight away and explained what had happened and they refunded the first ticket cost

araiwa Thu 29-Jun-17 17:56:29

Does it matter which vehicle was in the parking space

it would seem so

AlmostAJillSandwich Thu 29-Jun-17 17:57:10

Sadly you are liable to pay it. You didn't have a valid ticket for the car you had parked there.

araiwa Thu 29-Jun-17 17:59:06

the use registrations to stop people swapping tickets with other users, you pay for a specific car, your car didnt have a valid ticket.

KidLorneRoll Thu 29-Jun-17 17:59:31

You paid for a ticket for a different car than the one you parked. You need to pay it.

Whosthemummynow Thu 29-Jun-17 18:01:31

Yes you need to pay it. You didn't have a parking ticket for that car. And there is no proof to show that your actual car wasn't there. Suck it up

n0rtherrn Thu 29-Jun-17 18:04:38

You paid to park.

Ok you forgot to amend the ref number, and the car you registered was not there, but you still only used one space for one car!

I don't know the legalities or how it all works, but I don't think you should have to pay if you can provide evidence that the car you parked there was driven by you and your the car you actually registered was elsewhere.

OSETmum Thu 29-Jun-17 18:07:20

You may end up having to pay, but bloody hell, why would you not at least try to appeal?

TheMogget Thu 29-Jun-17 18:07:38

Argue it. Currently you are being asked to appeal or pay £75. You might as well appeal, you may get still have to pay or they might accept your explanation.
Presumably they have a record of all vehicle registrations and so can see your usual car had a ticket but wasn't parked which backs up your story.

Coffeelover56 Thu 29-Jun-17 18:12:06

Is it a notice to owner you have received? Make a representation to the council explaining what happened and it may be cancelled. As long as you get your representation in within 28 days it will be considered and you've got nothing to lose.

Mistakes happen and councils have to consider mitigating circumstances.

TT38 Thu 29-Jun-17 20:04:03

Thanks for the replies

Basically I was driving 'a' car linked to me.
I parked it and paid.
The fact that they can see that I paid for 'my actual' car should show it's just a genuine mistake. It's not like I haven't paid..then I could totally understand.

Obviouspretzel Fri 30-Jun-17 21:32:42

It blows my mind how many people just do whatever they're told in life without question. Would people really just "suck it up"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now