Talk

Advanced search

Let's bully fat people and stop the obesity crisis?

(119 Posts)
user1472582572 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:47:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

00100001 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:48:38

What nonsense are you talking about?

This is one of those "discuss" threads in disguise

Timeforabiscuit Tue 27-Jun-17 17:50:34

No, are you feeling ok?

gleam Tue 27-Jun-17 17:53:16

I read a story like this. It didn't turn out well.

NC4now Tue 27-Jun-17 17:56:12

What the actual fuck?

redphonebox Tue 27-Jun-17 17:56:15

Good ideas OP! Let's do all of those.

KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth Tue 27-Jun-17 17:57:09

Hey why not give fat people a little Pilsbury dough boy badge to wear and then make them stand in specific lines in supermarkets where they are handed spinach and trite advice?

brasty Tue 27-Jun-17 17:59:03

Agree OP. Most people do not understand what actually causes obesity, although there is tons of research around it. Shaming does not work, it simply makes people unhappy.

JeReviens Tue 27-Jun-17 17:59:05

Goad bait. hmm

fruitbat2008 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:59:18

Exactly what nc4 said.

RebornSlippy Tue 27-Jun-17 17:59:29

Yes. The first thing I'd do is make them eat in separate areas in restaurants; low carb, low fat, low calorie areas. All patrons weighed upon entry to eating establishments and those who are obese should be asked to take a seat in the fat area.

Well, nobody cared when we did it to the smokers so why not the obese? In fact, it was applauded. Obesity is, as you say, becoming a huge drain on the NHS. Not exactly bullying, more proactive.

Is that the kind of answer you wanted, OP?

user1472582572 Tue 27-Jun-17 17:59:44

NC4now Tue 27-Jun-17 18:01:38

To give a more measured response, I think when people make poor lifestyle choices, or have addictions which impact on their health and wellbeing, their family and their cost to the state, they should be offered as much advice and support necessary to make positive and healthy changes.
That's not bullying. There are ways to encourage positively.

What do you think OP?

Has something happened to upset you?

Yes fat shaming is wrong but so is obesity denial. Being obese is unhealthy and a potential health timebomb. I am obese and I am conscious that I have to do something about it now before it causes major health problems.

Tormundsbrow Tue 27-Jun-17 18:06:31

Egg the fatties!!
Just jokes, I'm fat myself.

I feel id benefit from a ' fat only gym' far too self conscious to go to a real gym.

CloudPerson Tue 27-Jun-17 18:06:31

I read the first couple of lines and assumed you were being a GF, then read on!
You're right, people are vilified for being fat without any understanding of the root causes behind obesity.
We also have NHS guidelines that still push low fat this and that when the science is freely available to prove that low fat has almost certainly contributed to the obesity epidemic, and means that most people don't know how to eat proper food.

Nancy91 Tue 27-Jun-17 18:06:51

Let's not pretend you've never judged someone based on their physical appearance.

Alfieisnoisy Tue 27-Jun-17 18:08:25

We could start by heeding the message that diets don't work. The fact that the NHS is still referring patients to Slimming World when all evidence shows that people regain the weight and then some.

Exercise and activity is the answer.

Gentle exercise for true couch potatoes which builds up. I started with yoga (still doing that) and am now running.

A thin person eating a high fat junk food diet is more likely to have a heart attack (even more likely if a smoker) than a fat person who exercises and is otherwise fit.

Forget diets , they are not sustainable long term. Eat an 80/20 diet where if you choose healthily 80% of the time or more then the other 20% doesn't matter.

I've lost three stones following that idea.

We need to stop demonizing over weight people and encouraging them instead. They have lives worth living ...lets help them live it. That's what helped me

PatMullins Tue 27-Jun-17 18:08:26

Eh, nope.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Tue 27-Jun-17 18:09:05

I see your point OP but you've gone a bit ott here.
Yes fat people get abuse sadly, but not everyone is as cruel as you seem to think and would advocate these measures?
Has something happened to you to provoke this post? You sound upset.

CloudPerson Tue 27-Jun-17 18:10:02

Have I misunderstood this part of the OP's post?

"I'm curious because people seem to think that belittling and vilifying people with weight problems is justified because of the obesity epidemic- or that's the excuse they use anyway. These same people completely disregard the emotional and psychological effects their abuse causes that perhaps might exacerbate the reasons behind an individual's poor relationship with food. It's convenient to ignore the abuse and trauma that can lead to disordered eating"

Looks like a pissed off with crappy people post with outer layers of faux goadiness.

user1472582572 Tue 27-Jun-17 18:11:08

SerfTerf Tue 27-Jun-17 18:12:32

Disapproval and shaming doesn't help anyone with any kind of issue, it is true. The opposite.

mylittlephoney Tue 27-Jun-17 18:14:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now