Talk

Advanced search

To Think There's Nothing Wrong With This Set Up

(37 Posts)
CuppaSarah Tue 27-Jun-17 15:47:13

Dd who is 4 was sick last night I

CuppaSarah Tue 27-Jun-17 15:47:49

Oops ds needed a hug and hit post, hang on the post is coming I'll type it up now.

Notknownatthisaddress Tue 27-Jun-17 15:48:16

Did you click 'post message' before finishing the message OP?

XJerseyGirlX Tue 27-Jun-17 15:49:09

Waiting patiently ... :-)

aginghippy Tue 27-Jun-17 15:49:40

The suspense is killing me grin

CuppaSarah Tue 27-Jun-17 15:57:32

dd who is 4 was sick in her bed last night. So me and dh clean her up and strip her bed. Dd and ds who is 18 months and has croup at the moment share a room, ds was woken up so dh settled him and I set up the sofa bed in the lounge, where dd and I slept for the night.

A friend has expressed her opinion about how strange that is, but it seems a perfect solution with no losers. Ds had the peace and quiet he needed for a good nights sleep, dh could deal with him and get a decent nights sleep before work. Every time dds stomach churned I woke up and was poised with the bowl meaning no more dirty bed sheets or mess. I could monitor her temperature throughout the night and ensure she wasn't too hot cold. And dd had the cuddles and comfort she needed. She woke up a lot, but instead of getting upset she could twiddle my hair or poke my face or stroke my eyelashes and be comforted which minimal disturbance to our nights sleep.

I can't understand how anyone would think this isn't an ideal solution. We all got decent sleep, no one was upset. Am I missing something here? Or is my friend bu getting funny about it.

CuppaSarah Tue 27-Jun-17 15:58:20

Sorry guys, the reality of this thread is much too dull for the cliffhanger I left you with. confused

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 27-Jun-17 16:00:15

What did your friend think was strange? Sounds absolutely normal!

FlyingElbows Tue 27-Jun-17 16:00:54

It doesn't matter what your friend thinks (although my money's on 10 posts before someone asks if your Dh is controlling!wink)

KnockMeDown Tue 27-Jun-17 16:01:56

I'm assuming that your friend does not have small kids? I've done similar to you, when you know they're likely to be sick again you don't go properly to sleep anyway.

Yes it's not ideal, but when they're poorly you just do what you need to, whatever works.

Flobster Tue 27-Jun-17 16:02:08

We do this, especially if they both have a sick bug, one goes in with DP, one with me. I don't think it's weird! Although I'd probably have made DH sleep on the sofa bed just because the bathroom is closer to empty the sick bowl/wash hands etc

Fibbertigibbet Tue 27-Jun-17 16:03:24

Sounds like a sensible set up and a fair and practical distribution of caring duties to me. What did your friend think was wrong?

aginghippy Tue 27-Jun-17 16:03:51

What did she say you should have done?

Scottishchick39 Tue 27-Jun-17 16:04:18

If my little boy is poorly, DH gets relegated to the spare room and DS comes in with me.

TieGrr Tue 27-Jun-17 16:05:21

I do the same. DD comes into the bed with me and DP sleeps on the sofa.

GiveMeTheTeaAndNobodyGetsHurt Tue 27-Jun-17 16:07:25

Completely sensible set-up. What exactly is it about it that your friend thinks is strange?

Ohyesiam Tue 27-Jun-17 16:07:49

What does free friend think you should have done?
Is it co sleeping she is worried about. Remind her it's only Europe and America that sleep separate from their little ones.

CuppaSarah Tue 27-Jun-17 16:08:15

She wasn't exactly clear tbh. She said she was surprised we didn't just put her back in her bed and that sharing the sofa bed seemed a bit much, there was a bit if a tone. But our sofa bed is super comfy and snuggly and I figured if dd couldn't sleep I could stick netflix on the tv.

I think it was the sofa bed bit she was most weirded out by. I should have questioned her a bit, but I was worried I'd broken some unspoken code of conduct and changed the subject.

MrsStinkey Tue 27-Jun-17 16:13:54

We have DD1 who is 6 and a DD2 who is 20 months, they share a room as well. This is basically our setup as well. If DD1 is sick Shen comes into bed with me and I care for her the rest of the night whilst DH sleeps on the sofa. If it's DD2 that's unwell DD1 and DH sleep in our bed and I go to the sofa with the baby monitor and care for her bitcleaving her in her own room as moving her or me sleeping in her room would be too much of a distraction for her to sleep. Completely normal I'd say OP.

Starsandwishes Tue 27-Jun-17 16:17:28

It's what ever works best for you.

biffyboom Tue 27-Jun-17 16:18:06

My son is 3 and whenever he has been ill, one of us sleeps with him in our bed whilst the other (whomever needs the better sleep that night) will sleep in his bed.
Who wouldn't want to keep an eye on their sick child!

We have 3dc and when we bought a new couch 2 years ago it was bought with sick children in mind. We didn't buy a sofa bed but bought one that a parent could sleep on it with a child who was ill. It is enormous and very comfy and has been worth its weight when they have been ill.

CuppaSarah Tue 27-Jun-17 16:23:15

Well I'm relieved I'm not the odd one out.

Weirdly my friend has kids the same sort of age, but to be fair she is super anti co-sleeping, not for safety reasons just personal preference. She also has an amazing no nonsense attitude that I greatly admire. Which is probably why her being funny about it bothered me so much, I just want her approval too much grin I think tiredness has made me a bit oversensitive.

Clalpolly Tue 27-Jun-17 16:24:07

Sounds sensible to me. You need to be on hand for the one who is throwing up and the other one needs whatever peace and rest is going.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 27-Jun-17 16:24:52

Pretty much what we would have done. If we had a sofa bed grin We often play musical beds when people are sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now