Talk

Advanced search

To find it a bit odd that my cleaner thinks this?

(109 Posts)
Iwasjustabouttosaythat Mon 26-Jun-17 14:28:47

She was saying today how over-the-top some of her clients are and they expect too much. She said they expect her to do things every week that a normal person would just do once a year.

"Like pull out the fridge and clean under there?" I say, searching.

"This one lady, she wants me to pull out her couch and vacuum and mop under there. Every time!"

Is it just me or is it expected that the floor would be cleaned under the couch every time the floor is cleaned? That's what I did when I had time to clean my own floors.

Ecureuil Mon 26-Jun-17 14:30:32

Err... can't remember the last time I cleaned under my sofa.

StumpyScot92 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:30:54

Meh, I wouldn't say everytime but I also wouldn't say once a year.

I probably mop under the couch every other month? I stick the Hoover hose under there between mops though. Maybe I'm manky who knows.

SaucyJack Mon 26-Jun-17 14:31:45

I think she would sound more professional if she kept those thoughts to herself, ya.

Stopnamechanging Mon 26-Jun-17 14:32:00

I do it about once a week but it's easy as my sofa is quite high off the ground and I can go under without dragging it out.

MaximumVolume Mon 26-Jun-17 14:32:23

I hope my cleaner pulls out the sofa & hoovers & mops! I think she does...

PinkHeart5911 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:32:23

Well under my sofa is done each day my cleaner comes but only becuase the Hoover goes under the sofa without moving anything. If the sofa had to be moved to do so, that would probably be once a month.

Pulling the fridge out would only be part of my cleaners deep clean, once a month certainly not everytime she comes but not once a year either

KoalaDownUnder Mon 26-Jun-17 14:32:49

YANBU!

I pull my sofa out and clean behind and under it every time I mop. Which is once a week.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 26-Jun-17 14:33:14

I can't move our sofas on my own (heavy recliners) so no I wouldn't expect my imaginary cleaner to hoover under them.

Redsippycup Mon 26-Jun-17 14:35:09

Maybe she should get a different line of work if she doesn't like cleaning...

DancingLedge Mon 26-Jun-17 14:37:07

Was a cleaner.
Different people have different expectations, and requirements. And willingness to pay for differing levels of cleaning.
Part of the job is sussing out what the word "cleaning" means, precisely, to each client.
And some furniture's easy to move, others , its a two person job to shift it.

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:39:28

Whaat. When I cleaned that was at least a fortnightly thing, weekly if I had not enough else to do. In my own house it's much less often

Herschellmum Mon 26-Jun-17 14:41:08

With wood flooring I cleaned under my sofa once a week .. but then I have 4 kids who are worse than animals 😂 and there is always a rotten apple under there 😩, I've moved and have carpet since February and not done it once 🙈😂

I think we all have different levels of expectations, she should just say what's possible in the time she's paid for.

Coddiwomple Mon 26-Jun-17 14:43:17

the whole point of a cleaner is to do just that, cleaning under sofa etc. Why does she think people are paying her for?

If cleaning was just about pushing the hoover in the middle of the room and dust around, it would take me 5 minutes and I wouldn't need to pay someone.

I am guessing she would have a panic attack if I was asking her to hoover underneath the sofa cushions hmm

FlyWaxSleepRepeat Mon 26-Jun-17 14:44:44

My cleaner cleans under the furniture every other time - so every 2 weeks.

I think you need a new cleaner.

StumpyScot92 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:45:56

Crap, looks like I'm manky hahah. No kids but currently pregnant I may change my stance when there's a small child roaming around.

I'm scrupulous about disinfecting the visible floor mind you..

BarbaraofSeville Mon 26-Jun-17 14:47:00

People aren't dragging furniture about weekly are they? Surely that's a once or twice a year job?

Pennywhistle Mon 26-Jun-17 14:47:29

I move my sofas to hoover and mop underneath every time.

I'd be a little concerned about what else she thinks is just once a year...

PhilTheSahd Mon 26-Jun-17 14:48:58

Reading this thread is making me feel like I'm a squatter or something lol - how do people find the time to clean under a sofa every week?

The comment from DancingLedge sounds perfect - different people care about different things, and have different budgets.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Mon 26-Jun-17 14:49:02

I'm a cleaner.

It depends what the client wants - we all have different preferences when it comes to cleanliness.

Most people are on a budget and want me to do a maintence clean, so whizz over everything and alternate more time consuming things like Cleaning under furniture, hoovering sofas, Cleaning in the fridge, windows etc.
Some shell out for a thourough clean every week.

I wouldn't personally moan about another customer to another customer.

MissHavishamsleftdaffodil Mon 26-Jun-17 14:50:00

I had to change cleaning firms because of one that thought hoovering under rugs instead of around them, hoovering behind doors and wiping/dusting around items (including the base of taps) was unreasonable....

Thankfully my current firm is brilliant grin

superfluffyanimal Mon 26-Jun-17 14:53:16

I don't hoover under my large rug, should I?

Laiste Mon 26-Jun-17 14:53:59

Depends on the sofa. Weight. Depth ect.

A big long heavy sofa which sits a bare centimeter off a carpet doesn't need dragging out every week.

A sofa which you can see clearly under on a hard floor will need a hoover and a mop swept under it once a week.

In the later case it's no real big deal to clean under it.

NotMyPenguin Mon 26-Jun-17 14:54:14

I guess it depends on your expectations, and how much time you are paying for.

Also, furniture and house style. This would definitely be essential in a house with a raised sofa on legs and a hardwood floor, for example -- but my super-heavy low sofa on a carpeted floor wouldn't need a clean underneath once a week because nothing can get under there

user1490142285 Mon 26-Jun-17 14:54:20

It sounds like she may be trying to manage your expectations. smile

I don't think it's unreasonable to want these things done more often than once a year, but if she is managing to do your whole house in the time allotted it may mean she needs extra time to do things like move furniture, hoover/mop under it and move it back (esp if you want it done in every room). If you're otherwise happy with her you might want to consider if there is anything you can alternate with furniture moving/cleaning under, eg one week she cleans under the furniture, one week she does the ironing or whatever. Otherwise she may need an extra 30-45mins to do these things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now