Talk

Advanced search

To want out of this lift share?

(11 Posts)
moutonfou Mon 26-Jun-17 09:10:39

Or rather how do I get out of this lift share?

I'm sharing lifts to work with a friend (each take turns using our own cars). It's just not working for me: she keeps a slightly later work schedule than me for starters, and then often runs over. I'm lucky to have a job where I can leave on time most days so I can get home half an earlier if I'm alone. Especially in summer that's a big deal for me, as. I get depression in the winter and want to make the most of light evenings while I have them.

The only problem is, it would obviously increase each of our travel costs, and I think she'd be annoyed with me.

How would you go about 'breaking it off'?

moutonfou Mon 26-Jun-17 09:11:12

Sorry half an *hour earlier I should have said

Mocoloan Mon 26-Jun-17 09:11:44

Just say you can get home earlier if you leave on your own? smile

AvoidingCallenetics Mon 26-Jun-17 09:15:22

You have to be honest. This isn't working for you as well as it works for her, so you just have to say that you want to get in earlier/leave earlier.
If she takes offence then she is being selfish.

peukpokicuzo Mon 26-Jun-17 09:15:45

It's OK to just say it's not working for you as you are missing the extra time you get at home on days that you can leave when it suits you.

Perhaps suggest dropping down to sharing just once or twice a week so that you still get the benefit of both the environmental, and money-saving pluses of lift-sharing and the pluses of independence occasionally?

BangkokBlues Mon 26-Jun-17 09:15:54

No drama.

Just say "I think I'm going to start driving myself every day from next week, its been great sharing costs but I can get ho,me a bit earlier if I drive myself and I think I prefer the extra time at home"

Iamliftzilla Mon 26-Jun-17 09:17:34

What kinda md of person do you share with? Are they likely to be reasonable about your change?

AlternativeTentacle Mon 26-Jun-17 09:19:01

'Hi. It's just not working for me. OP'

PurpleDragon76 Mon 26-Jun-17 09:43:17

I think honesty is best, if you were my friend I wouldn't be offended as who wouldn't want half an hour to themselves? Just say thanks very much but you are going to go back to driving yourself as you don't want to be late and you want time to yourself

SaucyJack Mon 26-Jun-17 09:47:14

Just be honest!

You're not doing anything wrong. For all you know she may be regretting it too.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 26-Jun-17 09:54:52

Hi OP, it's only once to say, easier said than done, I know.
I would stop sharing completely, as it isn't working out for you.
Don't make excuses, just tell her the truth. If she is a strong character, just keep saying, it doesn't work for you.
Let us know how you get on. Do it sooner, rather than later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now