Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for online poker info - DH in debt?

(10 Posts)
whatthefuckisthisabout Sun 25-Jun-17 22:45:20

Have just seen the screen on DH's side of our computer. At the top of the screen, on the right hand side, running along the activity bar is an icon of a poker chip and the numbers:

$-368.53/9,817/50

What does this mean? I do know he plays poker online. Does this mean he has put over $9k in the account? Because that is fucking awful and we have a huge problem.

Please only answer if you know. I don't need conjecture or opinions regarding online gambling.

Thanks

user1498430233 Sun 25-Jun-17 23:46:04

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Fixed buy in tournaments are common - a $10 buy in could get you $5000 in chips, then when players are eliminated the prize money goes to the top 10% or so of the field. So first place will win $500, the next few players will win smaller amounts and the rest of the field just lose them $5 buy in, but no more actual money. Best thing would be to look for a title - is it a tournament or a cash game?

Crispbutty Mon 26-Jun-17 00:07:41

It could be "play" money,
It could be as previous poster said.

All sites are different.

I play online poker regularly and there are so many variations that it could be anything.

AlmostAJillSandwich Mon 26-Jun-17 00:10:12

Why don't you just ask your husband.....

whatthefuckisthisabout Mon 26-Jun-17 05:47:44

User14 - thank you so much for your very helpful post. I hadn't thought of the conversion to "play money". You have calmed me down and put a more sensible spin on things. I will ask him but wanted to get an idea of what I was looking at.

Crisp - Thank you for replying. I really appreciate it.

Almost - I never understand why people post the comment "why don't you just ask your husband/partner/gf/dog....
It is such a unnecessary comment and it has an unpleasant tone. Obviously there is a reason someone is asking questions on MN before approaching the person in question. There is no reason to post this other than to be snide and eye-rolly and convey your boredom at such a tedious question. There are obviously many, many reasons I wanted to find out a little information before approaching my husband - none of which I feel like sharing.

Flatt7 Mon 26-Jun-17 06:20:43

Your Husband is the only one who knows for sure what he is doing, so your husband must be the best person to ask. Not sure why someone was jumped on for daring to suggest this? 0.o

Although if he is sitting RIGHT NEXT to you and doing it, he clearly feels it isn't anything wrong.

PumpkinPiloter Mon 26-Jun-17 09:41:35

I have some knowledge of online poker. It is extremely unusual for a poker site to show you how much you have lost on a normal page without going into transaction history. As it would be bad for their business to do so.

It looks to me like the numbers you are looking at are something called a hud. This is a piece of software that helps you track your own and others play. The numbers could be related to him or another player.

The second number (9,817) looks like the amount of hands/games he/someone else has played.

Whilst it is very difficult to say what the numbers are I would take an educated guess that he/someone else has played 9,817 games or hands has lost around $300 and the 50 is indicative of how many hands he plays. If this is true he needs to tighten up a bit and be more patient.

If I am right then he is playing very small stakes and I really would not worry about it as it would constitute fairly cheap entertainment.

Obviouspretzel Mon 26-Jun-17 12:09:37

Here's a hint, if you don't want to share, and don't want opinions or questions you didn't ask for, don't spread your life on the Internet for anyone to read.

BaldricksTrousers Mon 26-Jun-17 13:20:32

* I never understand why people post the comment "why don't you just ask your husband/partner/gf/dog....*

Because in many situations, asking/talking to the person directly is the easiest, quickest way to solve a problem--yet people still manage not to do it. Don't give someone grief for suggesting what seems like a sensible idea. As another poster said, if you don't want advice, don't post on AIBU. That includes advice you may not think is helpful.

PumpkinPiloter Mon 26-Jun-17 16:40:17

Forgive me if I am wrong but I do not believe the OP said she does not want opinions or advice.

It is fairly obvious she does not want to ask her husband hence the thread.

I completely understand why she does not want a bunch of input about online gambling as these threads always go down a specific route. You will get many people chime in about how gambling ruined their/DH/auntie/ neighbours second cousins dog life essentially saying she should LTB.

I would be a lot less worried about someone playing poker online than gambling online as at least if you are good you have the statistical probability of winning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now