Talk

Advanced search

Scam? Dvla texting to give money back?

(23 Posts)
toothfairy123 Sun 25-Jun-17 13:23:51

I got a text this morning saying it was dvla and they are trying to give me a 48£ refund. Saying last chance. You click through and it looks official like a govt site but literally asks you for every single personal detail going including bank details?!? I'm assuming this is a fraud anyone else received this?
I started filling in then it didnt feel right. I only clicked through in first place assuming I owed them money and worried I'd forgotten to tax the car.

GuybrushThreepwoodMightyPirate Sun 25-Jun-17 13:25:02

Definitely a scam. Avoid!

Notknownatthisaddress Sun 25-Jun-17 13:25:34

Oh God no don't do it! It's probably a scam!

Ring them tomorrow and see if the refund is genuine!

LiveLongAndProspero Sun 25-Jun-17 13:39:49

Of course its a scam, a very obvious one at that.

MatildaTheCat Sun 25-Jun-17 13:50:12

I had the email version of this. Definitely a scam. Delete and ignore.

ohforfoxsake Sun 25-Jun-17 13:55:00

I got caught by this. Just sold my car, didn't think anything of it but I did think the level
Of detail was odd. Thankfully the bank picked it up. Thanks for starting this thread, I'll ring the bank.

Whatthefuckis1tnow Sun 25-Jun-17 14:05:08

I had the same text. It is a scam. I checked the Dvla website and they are aware of this. They do send texts or emails.

araiwa Sun 25-Jun-17 14:08:16

Such an obvious scam

PacificDogwod Sun 25-Jun-17 14:09:09

V v obvious scam.
Report and delete.

Caulkheadupnorf Sun 25-Jun-17 14:10:19

I don't think the DVLA know my phone number. Does it get filled out somewhere?

Just google this sort of thing to check before doing it, it's a pretty common one.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 25-Jun-17 14:10:47

It's a scam. Never click on an unsolicited link.

I got one of these. I don't even have a valid driver's licence, never mind a car... hmm

I couldn't find a way to report it as phishing or spam on my iPhone though so if anyone knows how to do it, I will report it.

ohforfoxsake Sun 25-Jun-17 14:21:08

I got the text forwarded by someone else who had sold my car for me - I wouldnt have been caught out otherwise - but I did think it was asking for too much info, but was really busy and just did it, and the timing of it meant i didn't question it. Am cross with myself as I'm usually up on these things. £35 down, but bank should refund it. New card on the way. Grrrr angry <kicks self>

JaceLancs Sun 25-Jun-17 15:26:40

Yes definitely a scam I had it a while ago and forwarded it to actionfraud
There's a similar one from HMRC about a tax rebate

Andrewofgg Sun 25-Jun-17 15:34:29

Obviously a scam. I wonder what percentage of the targets are stupid enough to fall for it. Well done your bank ohforfoxsake

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag Sun 25-Jun-17 15:36:39

OP I think you need educate yourself on internet fraud.

QuestionableMouse Sun 25-Jun-17 15:39:25

How would the dvla get your phone number?

toothfairy123 Sun 25-Jun-17 16:01:24

Thanks all have reported to dvla. Don't worry I realised pretty quickly. Clicked link because I suddenly thought I owed money think I normally do my tax disc this time of yr. was surprised when they said they owed me money but link looked like my tax form but realised level of detail was insane and stopped. Glad you all recognised and confirmed my fears. I am pretty switched on I work in finance but there is a lot to trip you up out there. Never experienced any fraud yet touch wood so glad I stopped myself. Interesting that others have had this

PotteringAlong Sun 25-Jun-17 16:02:38

Definitely. I had a cheque from the dvla this week. That's how they refund money.

WatchingFromTheWings Sun 25-Jun-17 16:04:11

I worked for the dvla years ago. Refunds are always a cheque in the post.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 25-Jun-17 16:06:42

Look at Action Fraud, you can report fraud, and they have a database of different types of fraud.
www.actionfraud.police.uk/types_of_fraud

Iamastonished Sun 25-Jun-17 16:39:18

By clicking on the link the scammer might already have access to your phone. What anti-virus software do you have on your phone?

Dawndonnaagain Sun 25-Jun-17 16:43:52

I recently had money back from dvla. I didn't know about it, but it arrived via the post in the form of a cheque. No text or email, so yes, scam.

ohforfoxsake Sun 25-Jun-17 17:42:28

Oh bloody hell, I don't have any anti-virus - anyone recommend one?

Grrrr angry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: