Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To find mumsnet quite addictive?

(20 Posts)
Bishybarnybee Sun 25-Jun-17 09:00:35

I work long hard hours during the week, often very stressful.

I discovered mumsnet a while ago in a period of sickness leave when I was not up to even watching TV or reading.

I think there is something very compulsive about the way mumsnet engages the brain at the optimal level - just enough mental stimulation but not too much challenge.

I think I'm developing an addiction. It seems to have become my no-effort downtime activity of choice. I find myself thinking "just one more thread....." and wasting my precious free time checking for the next response on the threads I've posted on.

Is it just me? Should I try a digital detox and get on with my life?

wouldthatitwere Sun 25-Jun-17 09:10:55

yes me too, just one more then I'll go to sleep... half hour later.. maybe just that one.. then I'll definitely go to sleep/do the washing up/get kids dressed etc.. I'm also thinking I need to just pack it in and get on with my life grin

Supersoaryflappypigeon Sun 25-Jun-17 09:11:54

I waste hours of my life on here grin

justkeepswimmingg Sun 25-Jun-17 09:16:16

I'm so addicted to MN, glad I'm not the only one grin.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Sun 25-Jun-17 09:18:20

Is prefer to think of it as not 'wasting' my time, but a pleasurable recreational activity. I mean, we all need those.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Sun 25-Jun-17 09:22:25

It is extremely addictive - but also very informative. I've learned so much from here so I think of it as an educational resource wink

Cocklodger Sun 25-Jun-17 09:22:28

YANBU.
You're trapped now.
<evil laugh>
grin

Bishybarnybee Sun 25-Jun-17 09:24:33

I am not an addict, I am seeking enlightenment and enjoying a pleasurable recreational activity.

Puts off going for shower a little longer.

metalmum15 Sun 25-Jun-17 09:27:35

I love MN, the threads are so diverse, I've found many interesting tips on S&B or travel, and I love AIBU /Chat, especially when you find one of those threads that just keeps on giving and giving! Sure beats the repetitiveness and predictability of Facebook and Instagram.

bluetongue Sun 25-Jun-17 09:34:12

Not sure how I found MN but now I'm here I'm addicted. Worse still I'm not even a mum and don't live in the UK grin

Nquartz Sun 25-Jun-17 09:36:49

People are always surprised I come on everyday but they spend hours on Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc which I never go on.

I've learnt loads, felt a lot more informed around the election, Trump and other stuff so I definitely think it is time well spent!

CaoNiMartacus Sun 25-Jun-17 09:54:12

Yes. I have to force myself to read my Kindle instead of MN before bed. I don't always resist temptation!

TonicAndTonic Sun 25-Jun-17 09:57:20

Me too, I generally just like to browse the active conversation s rather than going for any specific boards. I don't even have kids!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 25-Jun-17 09:58:27

Definitely addictive. I have to go cold turkey from time to time.

Sunnysidegold Sun 25-Jun-17 11:03:52

I am the same as you OP! I started when o was on sick leave as I couldn't concentrate enough to read a book. I do think I am addicted to a bit of pre bedtime reading of threads but I think I can justify it by how much awareness I have gained. I would have said I'd have feminist principles before but I have become so much more aware of everyday sexism and I now quite regularly call people out on it. Also learned about zoflora! And I've compiled a good list of books and films to work my way through. I have cut down and only check it a couple of times a day now.

Phoebefromfriends Sun 25-Jun-17 11:19:54

I'm totally hooked and could spend hours on here. To counter thisI've downloaded an App where you grow trees if you don't use your phone for periods of time, it's quite addictive and when I really can't get enough of MN I try and put it down and grow a few trees.

MillieMoodle Sun 25-Jun-17 11:23:36

Ooh phoebe what app is that? I am also addicted to MN. But I do learn stuff from it too. Like that there are apps for growing trees if you don't use your phone!

QuiteLikely5 Sun 25-Jun-17 11:25:55

Yadnbu

Belle1939 Sun 25-Jun-17 21:17:34

I'm glad I'm not the only one
I'm just off to zoflora my house in between catching up on threads

DonaldStott Sun 25-Jun-17 21:38:16

I have been on here a while under various guises and I can honestly say it has changed my point of view on many different subjects. It's definitely opened my eyes in a good way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now