Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Attempted burglary through letter box?

(27 Posts)
Devonishome1 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:13:04

We was woken up at 3am yesterday morning by a bang. I jumped out of bed at the same time as the dog started barking (dog was upstairs with me) I looked out of the window and saw a car zoom off at high speed. I went to the top of the stairs and looked down and saw something long and thin on the floor I thought it was a firework,panic set in! Husband went to investigate once I woke him up! It was the beading that had come off the door (plastic style door). We noticed that the letter box was partly hanging off. We called the police and later the forensics came out. There was no damage whatsoever to the front of the door. No fingerprints or shoe marks were found. The force of whatever had caused a screw to come off the inside of the letterbox hence why it was partly loose. This I can't understand,there was no physical damage to the letter box. Nothing broken away,no scratches or marks to any part including inside the letterbox. The forensic man seems to think that the door was kicked,which would account for the noise. I can't understand how the hardest of kicks would cause no damage or marks to the outside but the force caused the inside of the box to come off and for the beading around the door to fall off and become loose in other places. Foolishly my keys were on the stairs. Don't worry I will never leave them there again. I'm assuming that they were after the keys but if so why make all that noise. There would of been an easier way of doing that so that we weren't woken up. I'm just completely at a loss of how it's been done. Has any one experienced a similar thing?

stella23 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:17:27

if you leave your keys in the stairs they are less likely to come upstairs.

stella23 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:17:53

So I don't thinknkts foolish to leave your keys on the stairs

Devonishome1 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:19:01

I kept them on the stairs for a quick exit incase of a fire. They will now be taken to bed with me.

stella23 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:26:19

But if you take them to bed there's more chance that a burglar looking for keys will come upstairs

Nicknacky Sat 24-Jun-17 22:29:28

There was a spate of house breaking in my area for high value cars. H took his keys to bed, mine got left at the front door as I would far rather they took my piece of metal easily than go looking for it. And I am a police office.

No idea what happened op, usually they try and be quiet!

MrJohnsonAteMyCustard Sat 24-Jun-17 22:31:22

So, do you think they were just trying to break in generally, or were actually trying to get at the keys?

Instead of taking the keys upstairs, is there nowhere close to the front door you can leave them, but out of site of the letterbox/windows, etc?

TheMogget Sat 24-Jun-17 22:33:27

Don't take your keys to bed with you. They should be out of sight of letter box, doors, windows etc. But if someone actually manages to break in better for them to take your keys and your car than come upstairs to your family.

contrastcolour Sat 24-Jun-17 22:35:15

I seems unusual to me that they targeted your front door - and kicked it. I have heard about scumbags putting fishing line type things through the letter box to try to get to keys on a hall table or stairs so wonder if they were trying that and kicked the door in frustration.

I keep my keys on a hook above the door so I can get out in the event of fire but they cant be reached with a hook.

ImperialBlether Sat 24-Jun-17 22:36:26

My friend had left her keys at the bottom of the stairs and her car (lovely BMW) outside - burglars got her keys through the letterbox, using some sort of fishing rod thing. (No idea what as they didn't stop to explain themselves.) The car was stopped at the port.

PenguinOfDoom Sat 24-Jun-17 22:36:33

Or fit a cage around your letterbox so post can go in it but it's impossible to reach anything beyond it. You can also get letterboxes which restrict access to anyone trying to reach through with anything.

Devonishome1 Sat 24-Jun-17 22:57:30

I can't be sure if they were after the keys or if someone just decided to give the door a good kick and run off. It's the not knowing which is frustrating. I've just ordered an enclosed metal box that will attach to the back of the door to catch the letters. They won't be able to see or reach for anything when it's fitted.

Gingerandgivingzerofucks Sat 24-Jun-17 23:07:38

Lots of burglaries targeting high end cars in my area a while back: thieves were using a flexible rod to hook car keys off hooks by the front door.

PookieSnackenberger Sat 24-Jun-17 23:12:12

It's entirely possible that the door was kicked in an attempt to kick it open.

We were burgled in that way. We were all in bed and the front door was kicked in. Thieves stole a nappy bag and a PE bag!

I can't describe the shock. DH leapt of of bed and chased them but there was a car waiting with the engine running and they got away.

PookieSnackenberger Sat 24-Jun-17 23:13:53

Also - we had a London Bar fitted after that. A thin vertical strip of metal the runs the length of the lock side of the door and prevents the door/lock being kicked open.

FanaticalFox Sun 25-Jun-17 00:07:46

What cars do you own? Anything desirable/fast?

Devonishome1 Sun 25-Jun-17 08:36:20

We own just one car. It's a year old and was £22000 from new. A nice car but not a high end car.

emmyrose2000 Sun 25-Jun-17 09:04:13

How scary! I hope it was a one-off.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 25-Jun-17 09:25:19

My neighbour got burgled a few years ago and it was highly likely they were looking for the keys to my car that was parked outside her house as she found her house keys in her garden. It was a 2 year old Peugeot 307, so it doesn't have to be anything particularly desirable. If they can get a few grand for them by changing the identity and selling on, it's worth it to them. Flashier cars are more likely to have trackers etc too, so your nondescript mid range car is probably easier to sell on.

OddBoots Sun 25-Jun-17 09:30:44

Do you mean car keys, house keys or both on the stairs?

Devonishome1 Sun 25-Jun-17 09:35:00

My car keys and house keys are on the same keyring.

Devonishome1 Sun 25-Jun-17 23:31:54

I can't sleep. I'm so scared of it happening again. If they come back and try again.

Groupie123 Sun 25-Jun-17 23:35:40

Police advice in our area is to leave car keys out of sight but near the door, so if someone does break in they can just steal the car. Been a lot of violent burglaries targetting Asian people for their gold - but most don't bother going upstairs if there's a nice car to steal.

Devonishome1 Sun 25-Jun-17 23:38:32

Thats true!

Ebayaholic Sun 25-Jun-17 23:53:12

The fear will subside, honestly. In the meanwhile I would leave lights on all over the house and even the tv on while you're out - it's cheap but effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now