Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Don't think I handled this very well

(6 Posts)
NicolasFlamel Fri 23-Jun-17 17:35:13

My son is 4 and a half, suspected ASD and currently undergoing assessment if that's at all relevant.
Anyway today he just bluntly said to my mum "You're fat, aren't you."
My mum just sort of laughed it off but I know that can feel so hurtful and I told my son we don't need to talk about other people's bodies. He started crying so I took him to the other room to help him calm down and have a chat. He said he just said it because he wanted to and he didn't mean to be unkind. I said I understood that but people are all different shapes and sizes and we don't need to tell them, they already know.
On reflection I feel like I've told him there's something "wrong" with being fat and it's something to be ashamed of when really he was just being matter of fact and saying what he saw. I'm really conflicted.
Should I just leave it now?

Covfefe Fri 23-Jun-17 18:52:53

Leave it. I know what you mean about not 'fat shaming' so to speak but the same thing applies to saying anything personal like a spot or a big nose. You handled it fine.

NicolasFlamel Fri 23-Jun-17 19:49:27

Thank you, it felt a bit like a no win situation. I'll just leave it now.

Chloe84 Fri 23-Jun-17 19:56:36

I think you handled it well too.

He needs to learn (gently) not to say things that people could find hurtful.

KoolKoala07 Fri 23-Jun-17 19:59:09

I think you handled it well. We see people from all walks of life/ situations etc and as much as we'd like to speak our minds, it's something we all have to learn to keep to ourselves to protect other people's feelings.

SenoritaViva Fri 23-Jun-17 20:02:43

Definitely well handled!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now