Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ARGHHH!!!! To think I shouldn't be allowed out in public

(39 Posts)
YesMadamDeputySpeaker Fri 23-Jun-17 17:17:04

I have had an extremely stressful day at work and have just got home after picking the DC up from my mum's. After much pestering, I took them to the shop to get a treat (TGIF).

There was a long queue and DC were messing about, fighting and squabbling amongst themselves. My 10 year old DS has just learnt to whistle and he was incessantly doing so whilst we waited - not so much an actual tune but just random noises.

It was grating on every one of my last nerves until I could bear it no more, so turned round and shouted "Will you just stop that bloody whistling now!" Only to find that the whistler in question was not DS, but a sweet little old man (he looked as though he was pushing 80) holding two close-to-overflowing shopping baskets.

I apologised profusely but an hour on and I'm still having a full-body cringe. Everyone in the shop turned to glare at me, and the cashier gave me an incredibly dirty look.

Why do these faux pas seem to happen to me on a daily basis? Particularly at work blush

SomeKnobend Fri 23-Jun-17 17:21:18

Ahahahahahahaha Yanbu! But have some wine, it's Friday!

GeillisTheWitch Fri 23-Jun-17 17:23:07

grin

Whistling gets on my nerves too, OP. Worst sound ever.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Fri 23-Jun-17 17:23:12

Hahaha! Sorry, but that's just all too relatable. I'd have done the same.
wine

2late2 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:25:45

I was in an estate agents last weekend and the agent sat me down to discuss the listings they had. He walked off and called back 'have you had lunch?' I thought it was overly friendly but called back 'well know of haven't and I'm starving'.

Turned out he was asking his colleague. blush

n0rtherrn Fri 23-Jun-17 17:25:45

That made me LOL grin

2late2 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:26:05

*no I haven't!

ButtonMooooon Fri 23-Jun-17 17:29:00

I once grabbed hold of my DS's hand and hissed at him to stop messing about and wandering off only to find my DS quietly holding DH's hand and a very shocked little boy holding mine confused

NavyandWhite Fri 23-Jun-17 17:33:38

Shopping basket in TGIF?! grin

wine

YesMadamDeputySpeaker Fri 23-Jun-17 17:36:45

Got a houseful of 7 kids atm (not all mine!) so will have to wait till DH gets home later tonight to crack the wine open..

2late2 and Button these are making me feel much better! Love it!

Geillis it's just awful, that and noisy eating - I can't handle family dinnertimes right now!

littlebird7 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:44:46

Oh my that made me nearly wet my pants!! smile
The sweet old chap will think twice before whistling his cheery tune next time smile

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 23-Jun-17 17:45:20

Funny, funny thread... I can relate to ALL of it. grinblushshock

YesMadamDeputySpeaker Fri 23-Jun-17 17:45:41

I'm aware incidents like that at work aren't so funny, but at my previous job I walked into my boss' office and exclaimed about "fucking so-and-so (obviously I mentioned the real name) being absent again and leaving me in charge of" whatever it was I was in charge of.

Then another member of staff stepped out from behind the door and raised their eyebrows disapprovingly. The boss just lowered his head (secretly, I think he was laughing!).

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 23-Jun-17 17:46:04

emojiis all in the wrong order there... should be shockblushgrin

YesMadamDeputySpeaker Fri 23-Jun-17 17:47:29

littlebird oh don't, the apologetic look on his sweet little face will stay with me for all eternity now! grin

BettySmut Fri 23-Jun-17 17:49:11

My mum once went up to some poor bloke she thought was my dad from the back and grumpily said "what are you looking at those for? You've got more than enough underpants". It obviously wasn't my dad and the poor stranger just sloped off looking worried.

6079SmithW Fri 23-Jun-17 17:50:44

YANBU! grin

I saw someone acting odd in the supermarket so took my (ex now but at the time) DH's arm, got in really close and starting whispering about it in his ear ... only to suddenly realise it wasn't my DH. Let out a rather loud but completely involuntary squeal. Everyone stopped to stare. You could just see them wondering what the poor man I had accosted had done to make me squeal so loud blush

Hobbitch Fri 23-Jun-17 17:54:25

Betty that's hilarious!!

NavyandWhite Fri 23-Jun-17 18:02:05

Not me but someone I know.
When she was little she was on the bus with her mum, they'd been food shopping and her mum was holding a string bag full of tins. Whilst waiting to get off to the bus the string bag got caught on the man behinds button. So when they jumped the poor man went with them! The string bag was hanging off his button and the tins went on everywhere!

My friend who was a teenager at the time peed right there from laughing so much!

YesMadamDeputySpeaker Fri 23-Jun-17 18:04:18

These have got me howling! Definitely got me feeling a bit cheerier about my own faux pas now grin

Pigface1 Fri 23-Jun-17 18:17:22

Oh OP that's hilarious grin but I have sooo much sympathy - whistling is the most annoying sound. My FIL likes to whistle. Constantly. Tunelessly. Piercingly. And extremely fucking loudly. It honestly drives me to distraction!

Sittinginthesun Fri 23-Jun-17 18:22:36

My mum once came out of a shop and got into my dad's car. She looked at the driver, squealed "you're not my husband!!!" and ran out.

Dad was sitting in the car parked behind, in hysterics.

Mum's excuse - it was a red car. How was she to know!

ChildishGambino Fri 23-Jun-17 18:24:55

Haha! Classic! I'm on the edge too and I've only got 3 to look after....wiiiiine is coming...

Whitelisbon Fri 23-Jun-17 18:25:34

I did the exact same thing in the bank once, op. The old man's wife was next to him, and she almost wet herself laughing, then told me that she was always having a go at him for it, and he ignored her.

YesMadamDeputySpeaker Fri 23-Jun-17 18:45:18

Whitelisbon perhaps your intervention was the kick up the backside that he needed to stop!

ChildishGambino I'm now down to 5 kids so wine time is growing ever nearer..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now