Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask when you brush your teeth?

(12 Posts)
drspouse Fri 23-Jun-17 12:20:33

Dentist appointment for the DCs yesterday - DC1 is on a long term medication that's a suspension and even sugar free is not great for his teeth and gums.
The dentist said don't brush immediately after - that he should brush first thing, then breakfast and medication and rinse out the mouth.
Is this the new thing? Have I been brushing my teeth after breakfast wrongly for umpteen years?

EverythingEverywhere1234 Fri 23-Jun-17 12:23:08

Very first thing then again very last thing. I have been told in the past that you aren't meant to brush your teeth immediately after eating as your teeth as particularly susceptible to damage at that point.

SumThucker Fri 23-Jun-17 12:24:01

I've always brushed first thing and last thing, before breakfast and after any snacks at night.

WonderLime Fri 23-Jun-17 12:25:42

You should brush your teeth before food to protect your teeth throughout the day. My dentist told me that brushing straight after causes damage to the weekened enamel.

I brush first thing - eat 45 mins later. I brush last thing before bed (I don't eat anything 45 mins before going to bed/ only drink water or herbal tea)

drspouse Fri 23-Jun-17 12:26:48

If you don't brush after a meal - how do you get th food off?

WonderLime Fri 23-Jun-17 12:27:16

Rinse your month with water?

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 23-Jun-17 12:28:56

Rinse with water. Sugar free gum after meals if you have food bits sticking.

MrsJoyOdell Fri 23-Jun-17 12:29:32

I always brush before breakfast as was taught that brushing straight after eating can 'rub in' food deposits rather than remove them.
Also brush last thing at night.

I was at the dentist this morning and have no decay or cavities at all. smile

SumThucker Fri 23-Jun-17 12:33:01

I was at the dentist this morning and have no decay or cavities at all

I read that in a smuggy smuggerson voice because of your username grin

BangkokBlues Fri 23-Jun-17 12:33:48

I always brush first thing.

Just give everything a swish with water after breakfast.

drspouse Fri 23-Jun-17 12:39:04

Interesting. The only fillings I have are from a spell overseas spending most of my time in small villages where the only safe drink was full fat Coke or ginger beer. I assumed lack of brushing after sweet stuff was the culprit.
I do use sugar free gum at lunchtime especially if I've had garlic... As a child I remember being told that really we should all brush after lunch too.

acornsandnuts Fri 23-Jun-17 12:41:32

Before eating. After you eat your mouth secretes it's own good bacteria to kill beasties. Brushing straight after a meal kills all the good stuff your mouth produces

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now