Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask students next door to keep it down a bit??

(18 Posts)
GdayKitty Thu 22-Jun-17 21:30:06

Next door sold last year and the parents of a young woman bought it for her whilst she studies at the local uni. They applied for but didn't get an HMO licence but there is about 4 of them living there. This is the 1st summer they have been here. Since Monday they have had some sort of party / gathering every night, windows wide open, loud music, lots of talking in the garden. It has been so hot lately, so we have had our wimdows open too; and the noise is stopping DD from sleeping, and later on it's stopping me from sleeping too. I don't know whether I should go round or not?? They all seem to be rahhhly posh and the young men in particular have voices which carry, it is driving me crazy!! We have been on good terms till now, taking in parcels etc. (one of her friends parked in our front garden without asking as didn't have a parking permit but she apologised for him being so entitled!). But am starting to think Mon/Tue/Wed AND Thurs night in a row is taking the piss a bit? If I do say something, shall I write a note or go round in person? AAAARGH. Hot weather doesn't help, it's making me super grumpy angry

TheSkyisBlueToday Thu 22-Jun-17 22:07:01

If there are 3 or more unrelated people living in the property it is an illegal HMO.. Report to local council.

FanaticalFox Thu 22-Jun-17 22:16:20

Yep you need to report anyway but anonymously but in terms of noise yes go round and have a quiet word just with that particular girl and let her spread the word with her toffy friends.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 22-Jun-17 22:25:02

And put the vacuum cleaner right up against the skirting board on the wall thats the other side of her bedroom ...at 6am wink

goose1964 Thu 22-Jun-17 22:42:18

I we used to live next door to students, and DS1 was a baby, and they used to play Beautiful South really loud late at night.My DH got revenge playing heavy classical music at around 7 am . They got the hint, Perhaps something similar would work

SomeOtherFuckers Thu 22-Jun-17 22:43:18

It's end of uni celebrations sadly x

SomeOtherFuckers Thu 22-Jun-17 22:43:28

As in term ends this week x

SomeOtherFuckers Thu 22-Jun-17 22:45:06

And don't report them .. don't be that asshole. Just either drop a note in saying you get there having fun but can they close windows and keep people quiet outside as your small child is being kept awake - or go round and do the same , I'd have shit myself in first year of that happened x

SomeOtherFuckers Thu 22-Jun-17 22:45:40

Also yeah morning awakening w music lol would've soon sorted me out x

Yukbuck Thu 22-Jun-17 22:52:23

Either report or complain. Don't do both! Unless you want them to know you've reported them. If you do complain and then report then they will know it's you sadly.
I sympathise. My neighbours (not entirely sure but thinking mature students) have really loud garden parties on a week night. It annoys me so much. Have not complained yet but am tempted.

Foniks Thu 22-Jun-17 23:54:51

Just go and speak to her. She'll probably be quite reasonable judging from her apology for her entitled friend who parked on your property.

GdayKitty Fri 23-Jun-17 17:08:31

Thanks all. I really don't want to be That Neighbour, I would have been shit scared if someone came round to mine and had a go at me, and I am not very assertive... They have started up again now sad I think I will say something on Sunday if they have another party then!

GdayKitty Fri 23-Jun-17 17:09:29

Loved the suggestion of hoovering early in the AM but houses are not touching. They are that loud. Lolsob.

MikeUniformMike Fri 23-Jun-17 17:11:25

Report it to the council. They could be there all summer.

AlmostAJillSandwich Fri 23-Jun-17 17:28:12

Seriously, just go now. 5 days in a row is ridiculous.

SummerKelly Fri 23-Jun-17 17:48:49

We had this for about a year. In the end they were abusive and we called the police who reported it to the university, which shut them up. See if the uni has a community liaison person, lots of unis do seem to take it seriously.

SummerKelly Fri 23-Jun-17 17:49:18

Though I'd just speak to them directly first

londonmummy1966 Fri 23-Jun-17 17:52:53

It's that time of year for students but she sounds to me like she's a nice girl who has been taught to behave respectfully to her neighbours given she apologised for the parking. I'd just go round and explain to her that you understand she wants to party but the rest of the world still have work/school to go to so could she please keep the noise down. Sounds to me as if she is being thoughtless rather than selfish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now