Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Unexpected visitors during house renovations?

(11 Posts)
HoleySock Thu 22-Jun-17 20:32:40

In laws have been marvellous always but particularly so recently. We're having some work done - kitchen refit - and they cleared their diaries for the duration of the works to help us with the kids, meals etc. They're bloody fantastic and I'm so fortunate to have them!
But today they threw on me, you've got visitors on Tuesday.
"Have we?"
Them, yes. Family members who we haven't seen for five years, who've never seen our home and never met our kids..

On one hand I'm thinking wonderful, it would be nice to see them etc but our house is absolute chaos right now. There's kitchen stuff everywhere. The work is two days behind so far and the kitchen fitter wants the weekend off. I have no oven. I don't know where the kettle is. We have three kids three and under.

Would I be unreasonable to suggest we go and meet at their house? I'm somewhat house proud and it's our first home that we've owned (or will in 30 years..) i would love to show it off but right now when everything is chaotic and dusty all I can envisage is a weekend of desperately trying to deep clean around a preschooler, toddler and newborn...
AIBU?

HoleySock Thu 22-Jun-17 20:35:03

I understand part of the whole excitement was the family members seeing our new home and seeing us settled etc. But i would be stressed.

AlternativeTentacle Thu 22-Jun-17 20:35:12

'Where are we meeting then on Tuesday'
'Yours'
'Ha ha - you are kidding right? We don't even have a kettle! How about the pub?'

HoleySock Thu 22-Jun-17 20:37:08

@AlternativeTentacle haha I like your thinking!!

expatinscotland Thu 22-Jun-17 20:39:31

What Alternative said.

rollonthesummer Thu 22-Jun-17 20:43:00

What-they arranged for you to have visitors at your house whilst you're in the middle of a renovation?!

Sorry, but that isn't what nice in laws do!

BangkokBlues Thu 22-Jun-17 20:43:38

Yup +1 for Alternative's chat

Madwoman5 Thu 22-Jun-17 20:43:48

Pub or inlaws, definitely NOT yours

Bluerose27 Thu 22-Jun-17 20:52:28

Not your house!! As a visitor I'd feel super awkward if I arrived in to your house only to realise you are mid renovations and don't even have a kettle. Maybe they're not fully informed of the situation?

kalinkafoxtrot45 Thu 22-Jun-17 21:04:12

Even if they're lovely PIL, they don't get to decide if YOU have visitors!

ChasedByBees Thu 22-Jun-17 21:15:31

Why would they arrange visitors for you in the first place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now