Talk

Advanced search

AIBU -walking poles for a long hike or not?

(12 Posts)
milkyman Thu 22-Jun-17 14:45:10

I am doing a 22 mile hike with hills in a couple of weeks. Is it worth getting poles if you've never used them. Also what should I wear? It's July, South of England and not sure.

kittykarate Thu 22-Jun-17 14:48:47

I would, but then I love an excuse to walk with my walking poles as I can walk faster on the flat and feel safer going down hills.

Hereward1332 Thu 22-Jun-17 14:53:52

You'll look like a tool, but they do help. Especially uphill.

NannyR Thu 22-Jun-17 15:06:23

I've never used poles before, but I got some recently for a multi day hike with a heavy backpack. They were a godsend; they meant that my arms could do some of the work going uphill, I felt more stable going downhill and I could really power along on the flat.
I bought leki branded poles with suspension in them, although never having used poles without suspension, I couldn't really compare whether bounce or no bounce is better.

Someone on the hike showed me how to use them properly but I would guess there is a you tube video somewhere that would show you. The knack is to position them slightly behind you and push against them (much easier to understand if you see it in action).

Piffpaffpoff Thu 22-Jun-17 15:08:31

They are good on hills, especially if you get sore knees.

Witchitywoo Thu 22-Jun-17 15:20:45

They can take up to 25% of your body weight when used correctly so they can tone up your bingo wings beautifully. I did 100km trek using them and came back with lovely toned arms!

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Thu 22-Jun-17 15:26:47

Yes! And I don't feel like a tool using one. Especially good when going down steep slopes with gravel/loose stones.

kittykarate Thu 22-Jun-17 15:27:15

Leki are a great brand to buy, I still have my original pair of poles that I bought 18 years ago. My poles don't have suspension and my husband's does - I don't think there is that much difference between them to be honest.

burninglikefire Thu 22-Jun-17 15:27:49

Agree that they really help on hills - you can use your arms to help with the up and save some of the impact on your knees on the down! Happy hiking!

BangkokBlues Thu 22-Jun-17 15:28:09

Yes but you need to practice with them.

GeminiRising Thu 22-Jun-17 16:13:35

They are good for knee support but you need to practice with them and be prepared for sore arms!

specialsubject Thu 22-Jun-17 16:41:07

You need to change the length between going up and going down.

Check forecast nearer the time, but as for any walk in the UK, you need layers. You are presumably an experienced walker so won't turn up on jeans, frilly cardi and fashion trainers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now