Talk

Advanced search

What are some parents thinking

(130 Posts)
sonlypuppyfat Wed 21-Jun-17 18:22:15

Well I don't know if I'm brave enough for this but, today a really hot day DD yr 7 went on a school trip. It was a walking trip, up hills etc for geography. They didn't have to wear school uniform but old clothes they didn't mind spoiling, DD wore a white t shirt grey leggings and a white cap. Lots of her friends were in black jeans and black tops one girl even had a black cardi on. Also DD had to give her sun block out to loads of her friends who were getting sunburn, why we're so many of the children so unprepared for the weather?

endelessworries Wed 21-Jun-17 18:27:15

Because according to mumsnet life style, 7 years old humans beings are capable of their own decisions, reaponsible individuals and how dare you criticise the way they dress. Did you instruct your daughter how to dress in a hot weather? She'll be spoiled hmm

cheesydoesit Wed 21-Jun-17 18:30:48

Not 7 years of age but year 7 so 11 years old? They probably decided what to wear themselves, I agree about the suncream though but I am just basing this on my own 11 year old self as mine aren't at that age yet.

MrsWire Wed 21-Jun-17 18:31:27

My year 7 daughter wouldn't take any notice of me if I told her what to wear.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 21-Jun-17 18:32:02

Oh I forgot that endelessworries

NavyandWhite Wed 21-Jun-17 18:32:16

Yr 7?!? They picked their own clothes!

Wolfiefan Wed 21-Jun-17 18:33:22

Some parents won't want the battle.
Some parents leave the house before Y7 kids go to school!

AfunaMbatata Wed 21-Jun-17 18:34:23

Y7 are old enough to dress themselves appropriately, if they want to suffer then so be it.

PantPlot Wed 21-Jun-17 18:38:00

They will be the same Y7's who were freezing their arses off in winter, refusing to wear a coat. At that age they can choose what they wear themselves and hard luck if it makes them suffer.

I'd have told mine that they'd boil to death in that get up then rolled my eyes when they ignored my sound parental advice

phoenixtherabbit Wed 21-Jun-17 18:39:29

My year 7 step son would chose his own clothes probably black jeans black top

He'd then instantly regret it and whinge about being too hot all day!

ArtemisiaGentilleschi Wed 21-Jun-17 18:39:57

Surely year 7 mums aren't still putting their clothes out are they?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 21-Jun-17 18:45:38

Surely it's not out of the question to say to an 11yr old, " you're not wearing that!"

BarbarianMum Wed 21-Jun-17 18:50:49

If it wouldn't actually kill them, I'd suggest rather than insist age 11. Only thing I'd indist on is a hat and a drink. Black jeans - meh, probably won't do it twice. And I wouldn"t send suncream because they'd have applied it before they went.

AfunaMbatata Wed 21-Jun-17 18:55:30

Why would you insist though? Theyre not toddlers! In a few years time they'll be going into the adult world.

toffeeboffin Wed 21-Jun-17 18:57:10

Well DS wore a t-shirt that was far too small for him this morning.

He's only three though and I simply didn't have the energy to argue.

toffeeboffin Wed 21-Jun-17 18:58:18

Disclaimer : it was just an inch too short when he raised his arms, it wasn't miniature or anything.

Ketzele Wed 21-Jun-17 19:04:57

My Y6 dd insists on wearing a big jumper every day of the year - including this week. She doesn't want her body to show sad. She may be an extreme case, but I think lots of girls that age have strong ideas about what they feel comfortable in.

crankyhousewife Wed 21-Jun-17 19:06:59

My year 10 DD wore black tights and black cardi to school today. I tried telling her she'd boil but she wouldn't listen. She was probably boiling but it's her own lookout.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 21-Jun-17 19:09:13

Surely an 11yr old is still a young child?

RedSkyAtNight Wed 21-Jun-17 19:09:23

Surely it's not out of the question to say to an 11yr old, " you're not wearing that!"

I'm now doubting that OP actually has an 11 year old, or she would realise that is the absolutely worse thing to say. Telling them what they are wearing is just perfect fora warm day would perhaps work better?

[It took me 20 minutes to persuade DS that as sports day was on a field with no shade on one of the hottest days of the year, it really wasn't optional to wear suncream.]

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 21-Jun-17 19:10:12

My dd used to have some pretty hard to handle issues with clothes when she was 5/6/7. Not so much these days. She's almost 9. You have to pick your battles as parents as some children will have such issues at 11. I suggest to my dd what to wear these days as clothes are no longer a major issue but by 11, I can imagine she won't listen.

kmc1111 Wed 21-Jun-17 19:16:54

Black clothing isn't the problem people think it is. White is far worse. Black clothing is actually quite good in heat. It absorbs more heat from the sun yes, but also much more from the body, which is what you want. If there's even the slightest breeze black clothing helps radiate the heat away from the body. White and lighter colours just let you cook yourself.

If you're going to wear jeans on a hot summer day, black ones are the best choice.

Sunscreen I'd make sure they had available and remind them to take it/use it, but again if they managed to forget it that would be their problem. They were obviously capable of realising they needed it and asking someone for some, so no great disaster there.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 21-Jun-17 19:19:10

My DD is quite a quiet gentle child and I think reading some of these replies might be a little young for her age, perhaps I am being unreasonable then!

Fresta Wed 21-Jun-17 19:20:00

I wouldn't be persuading an 11 year old to wear suitable clothes for 20 minutes. If mine has made an unsuitable choice herself, she gets told to change, no ifs or buts. I'm the parent and she's still a child. Some parents seem unable to say no to anything.

HildaOg Wed 21-Jun-17 19:23:27

In some cases maybe the kids don't have any summer clothes. Or perhaps nobody ever told them that you dress for the weather. I agree with you, while you can't tell them what to wear at that age, you can provide weather appropriate clothing and sunscreen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now