Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

About local nursery school using playground?

(19 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Wed 21-Jun-17 12:33:10

A nusery near me regularly takes the kids on outings to the playground. Obviously I have no problem with this as playgrounds are for children. There is usually around 25 children and 3 adults. 2 of the adults generally just sit on a bench while the third tries to monitor all of the children. One of the bench sitters spends the whole time chatting to the other and every minute or so screeching at the children in a ridiculously shrill and loud voice as opposed to actually walking over and tending to them

However, this is what really gets my fucking goat. When they arrive, the adults get the children to leave their backpacks in a line just outside the playground gate. So every minute or so, a child will go out to get something from their bag, come back in and leave the gate wide open. And despite the 2 sitting adults being plonked right beside the gate, neither makes any attempt to close it or tell the children to close it after them. All fine for them because they are monitoring the children in their charge but they give absolutely no shits about the safety of the other kids.

Aibu to expect them to shut the fucking gate? And why the hell don't they just bring the bags in with them??

Babymamamama Wed 21-Jun-17 12:38:54

It sounds annoying. Have you spoken to the staff? Or you could try to contact whoever runs the nursery if you get no joy that way. But I think speaking to the workers (calmly) might help?

2014newme Wed 21-Jun-17 12:40:21

Speak to them! Ask them to make sure the children ate shutting the gate.

Yukbuck Wed 21-Jun-17 12:44:39

My first thought was the ratio! Surely 25 children to 3 staff is wrong!

insancerre Wed 21-Jun-17 12:52:27

Yanbu
That sounds awful
Why can't they put the bags inside?
The ratio is probably right as its 1-8 so 24-3 adults
But in my nursery I always send an extra person
Ring the nursery and complain
I would take you seriously if you rang me about my staff

2littlemoos Wed 21-Jun-17 12:53:09

I agree that the ratio sounds shocking! More so because only one of them is watching the children properly.

I would contact the nursery. It wouldn't surprise me if the only worker keeping check was actually very fed up of being the only one doing their job properly and may well appreciate the other two being warned.

toastandbutterandjam Wed 21-Jun-17 12:55:06

There's a nursery very close to me that have no garden at all, so they have to go the local park (5 minute walk) several times a day. They have to split the children into several groups in order to stay in ratio (e.g - If they have 30 children, they'll split into 4 groups or something along those lines).

They take their bags in with them - Why leave bags outside? what a pain!

Of course the gate should be shut after them. Can you/have you asked the staff?

Yukbuck Wed 21-Jun-17 13:08:49

I thought ratios were different when leaving the building? And she doesn't specify their exact age. E.g younger ones need a higher ratio..

Viviennemary Wed 21-Jun-17 13:12:27

This doesn't sound very acceptable at all. Contact Ofsted. I'm sure they won't approve. But contact nursery first with your concerns. I think it's a bit cheeky of them to take over a local facility in this way. They should pay a charge.

Yukbuck Wed 21-Jun-17 13:27:28

vivien is that a joke? About them charging?!

SoreFeet1983 Wed 21-Jun-17 13:28:41

Give them a phone. Our nursery is manic about its reputation within the community and would appreciate the chance to fix something that was annoying the residents in the local area.

ShakingAndShocked Wed 21-Jun-17 13:32:51

Ring the nursery and speak to the manager - maybe take a few pics next time you see the nursery workers sat on arses gossiping not taking care of their charges so you it's clear you are actually raising something that is factually accurate.

'So every minute or so, a child will go out to get something from their bag'

^ ^ ^ That is a safeguarding issue (& I don't mean the gate then being left open although) - if my child was at that nursery I would genuinely hope that if someone saw that happening they would report. It takes literally just seconds for a child to go awol and if not being supervised + that many of them, what if one of them slips out?

Cleanermaidcook Wed 21-Jun-17 14:07:36

This doesn't seem many staff to me. I work in preschool, we have 1-3 ratios for when we go out to the playground, we rarely go as it's planned military style. The playground is a 2 minute walk, 2 gates, we post a member of staff at each gate and 3 staff playing/helping the children. (15 children) No one gets through the gate, everything we need is brought in with us.

Ratios are lower on trips out than in setting, if i remember correctly legally it's 1-4 outside and 1-8 in setting age 3-5 (i dont plan the trips/sort out ratios, manager does)

HughLauriesStubble Wed 21-Jun-17 15:48:01

Gosh, I wouldn't expect anyone to charge them for using the playground. Like I said, I have no problem with the children, it seems to be the adults supervising that are the problem.

It definitely is a safeguarding issue though, the playground is in a park on a main road, and when the kids go out the gate of the pg, they are right at the park gate and the road too. Also, the 2 sitting ladies had their backs to the gate, so although they could clock the children going out, they weren't monitoring to make sure they didn't go astray.

The more I think about it, the more shocked I am. I have a sneaking suspicion that screechy lady is the nursery owner so not sure that ringing to complain would do much good. Why don't they just bring their bags in?? confused

insancerre Wed 21-Jun-17 17:53:16

Cleaner
There is no different ratio for trips
It's still 1-8 for 3 + or even 1-13 if there is an Early years teacher present
Ratios don't change when you leave the building but risk assessments have to be done

Don't phone ofsted
Phone the nursery and speak to the manager

Hulababy Wed 21-Jun-17 17:58:30

If you believe that two of the staff are not doing their job properly - and they aren't based on what you are writing - and are not ensuring the park stays safe for all users (gates left open so any child can wander out) then I would contact the nursery school. Send them an email or write to them, lay out the facts and ask them to speak to their staff to make sure they are looking after the children adequately.

No issue with them using the park. It is a public playground for all to use.
We are an infant school and we sometimes take our children to the ark for various reasons. On occasions we allow a class at a time to use th playground for a short while - 30 children. However, we have adequate staffing to ensure that all children are watched, including having a member of staff on each gate to make sure children don't leave.

nuttyknitter Wed 21-Jun-17 18:04:05

I would be very concerned about the ratios. I worked in a Nursery school until recently and our risk assessments, as laid down by the Local Authority, required a ratio of 1 adult to two children if off site.

confuugled1 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:35:57

I would film this happening on my phone - several instances to show that it's really not a one off - and then report it to the nursery. If the nursery wasn't bothered then I'd send it to the people at the council that monitor nurseries and anyone else that monitors them - sorry, no idea who that might be! But if they belong to a professional organisation maybe or whoever holds their insurance...

Oh and before all that, I would talk to them each and every time, being overly nice, to say that I'm sure they haven't noticed but that one of their charges has just left the gate open and please could they (charges and/or the ladies themselves!) ensure that they shut it again. Then you'd also be able to add that on one visit you needed to ask them 7 times in half an hour and they still did not seem to understand why it was important that the gate was kept shut with lots of young children in there, theirs and others, they kept ignoring it and you find this very worrying in adults who are there expressly to look after nursery children!

Hulababy Wed 21-Jun-17 18:44:52

nutty knitter - depends on the age of the children and the level of qualification held by the staff:

There must always be two adults working with the children:
- The leader will either be a level 3 or a level 6 and
-  50% of the rest of the staff must be qualified to level 2.
-  3 and 4 year olds must have a 1:8 i.e. 16 children with 1 NVQ3 (or
equivalent) and 1NVQ2 (or equivalent).
-  2 year olds must have a 1:4 in all sectors (rising 3’s1 in a school
- nursery can count as a 3 year old as above)
- Where a provision has a graduate lead (level 6 or higher) they can
work to a 1:13 ratio.

The NSPCC has tighter recommendations, though not legally standing:

0 - 2 years
1 adult to 3 children
2 - 3 years
1 adult to 4 children
4 - 8 years
1 adult to 6 children

And a minimum of two adults with every group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now