Talk

Advanced search

What causes an adult to grunt without realising it all the time?

(17 Posts)
NotAnotherUserName5 Tue 20-Jun-17 16:53:37

Sorry, I'm posting for traffic in AIBU, but really could do with some opinions here. As many as possible really.

I have my aunt staying with me, and I'm really concerned about her health.

I've noticed this over the course of the last year or so, this grunting/mmm sound when sat around every few seconds. She doesn't realise she is doing it, but it's not something she has always done.

I'm pretty concerned something is wrong. Has anyone experienced similar and have any ideas what it could be?

She is in her 60s and has a few health problems-diabetes, being very overweight and suffers bad joint pains. On medication for these things.

Anyone any ideas? She is a lovely person, and I'm so worried sad

Babyroobs Tue 20-Jun-17 16:57:09

Could it be due to her obesity - maybe like when overweight people get sleep apnoea type conditions and snort and grunt in their sleep, but something similar is happening in the daytime?

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Tue 20-Jun-17 16:57:39

Does she usually live alone? My grandfather would make noises for no real reason "mmmm" "yes" "uh huh" - sometimes it almost sounded like one side of a conversation. I think he got into the habit to break the silence sad

Babyroobs Tue 20-Jun-17 16:58:07

My dh has chronic asthma and tends to make similar noises, I think it's just that he's out of breath a lot on minimal exertion, and something to do with the airways.

GingerLucy Tue 20-Jun-17 16:58:12

My sister 'Hmmmms' quite a lot, its nerves and anxiety makes her do it

PeppaPigTastesLikeBacon Tue 20-Jun-17 16:59:17

I know a lady who is seriously overweight and she does this. I presume it's to do with the weight on the ribs/lungs (but I am no doctor)

Misspilly88 Tue 20-Jun-17 17:01:23

My mum always did this, well she would hold her breath and groan it out iyswim. She was a healthy weight and I don't think there was any reason. Maybe ask her?

GingerLucy Tue 20-Jun-17 17:01:47

when I say my sister hmms, its not a tune, its just random hmming

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 20-Jun-17 17:01:59

Grunting can be a sign that not enough air is entering the lungs when she breathes but it could be many things including just a habit that she has got into, will she see her GP?

happy2bhomely Tue 20-Jun-17 17:03:08

I have no idea, sorry, but my 33 year old husband does something similar. He seems to hold his breath and then grunt or breath out hard every few seconds. He does it a lot and when I'm feeling less than patient I snap and say can you not hear yourself? Stop it! He has no idea he does it and gets annoyed when I point it out or he insists that I'm hearing things.

He isn't overweight and he doesn't smoke. He is fit and well.

It would be an idea for her to see a doctor though.

PickAChew Tue 20-Jun-17 17:03:44

It could be a tic or just a habit.

Flamingoprincess1212 Tue 20-Jun-17 17:04:19

Something sinussy maybe? Or wieght related?

NotAnotherUserName5 Tue 20-Jun-17 17:10:11

Thanks for replies.

I have thought it could be linked to the weight, but she has been really overweight for years. The noises are quite new.

She did say to me the other day she sometimes wakes up gasping for air too, so maybe you're on to something hellhasnofury

Misspilly88 she would be really upset if I approach her over it, but I think I need to.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar no she lives with her DH but he is away visiting his sick brother so he isn't here right now.

Babyroobs sleep apnoea is something I'm wondering too.

NotAnotherUserName5 Tue 20-Jun-17 17:13:59

The weight issue is one as a family we have all been concerned about for quite some time.
Has really bad eating habits, but her DH can't bring it up as she gets really defensive. It ends in going knowhere Positive.

How can you convince someone they need to sort their health out? sad

PotOfYoghurt Tue 20-Jun-17 17:54:07

My mother does this, it's as if her exhale is very slow and drawn out and sounds forced. She has no idea she does it. I've always thought it was down to long-term smoking.

ChristmasFluff Tue 20-Jun-17 19:11:12

It sounds like she is creating her own version of the CPAP machine that people use overnight for sleep apnoea - the 'grunting' might be her creating a 'backpressure' into the lungs to keep her airways open. It's sort of the rationale behind the Buteyko technique used with asthma. Definitely needs a doctor visit though, because her lung health might need looking at and monitoring.

ButtonLoon Tue 20-Jun-17 19:14:09

I have a friend with Tourettes and one of his tics is grunts, but it sounds unlikely in this case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: