Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Urgent work experience help needed. Posting for traffic.

(29 Posts)
MsHooliesCardigan Tue 20-Jun-17 13:58:57

DS1 is just finishing his first year of A levels and is doing maths and science subjects with a view to doing something bio-medical. He needs to find a work experience placement for a week towards the end of July. The idea is that it is something related to the job or degree they plan to do and he did his Y10 placement in a GP surgery.
However, he's having absolutely no joy and is getting really despondent. All the hospitals have said No or not got back to him - he started trying about 2 months ago.
Pharmacies have all said No because he's under 18.
He has started phoning GP surgeries and they have said No due to lack of staff or that they used to offer work experience and have stopped recently.
To anyone who works in a GP practice, is it still a thing to take WE students?
Has anyone got any bright ideas about who he can approach? We're in London.
The school are beginning to absolutely hound him about it. Whilst I understand that it's a good thing for students to organise their own placements, I do think the school could do something to help him as his lack of success clearly isn't due to lack of trying.
Thanks.

RedHelenB Tue 20-Jun-17 14:00:51

People on medicine forums suggest care home experience. This may be easier to get?

pudcat Tue 20-Jun-17 14:03:12

What about a vet or animal sanctuary? A different kind of medical experience.

Abra1d Tue 20-Jun-17 14:04:14

We emailed any consultants' secreatiowe had ever come across, particularly that if he man who took out my son's tonsils privately as the NHS could do it before his A levels. We had also been involved in a vaccine trial years ago and emailed that group. Just thinking aloud here in case it sparks ideas.

Working as a volunteer carer would show that he understands the complexities of prescribing for elderly people. He wouldn't be giving the drugs out obviously, but could talk about his observations and conversations with doctors and nurses about drugs at the care home.

fannydaggerz Tue 20-Jun-17 14:10:10

Try a large veterinary practice or a food technology lab.

CadnoDrwg Tue 20-Jun-17 14:10:13

What about a military medical setting? They may welcome volunteers/work experience - contact your local armed forces career place or drop them an email from the website.

(They will definitely try and recruit him if they agree so prepare him for the sales pitch).

Groupie123 Tue 20-Jun-17 14:53:28

Care homes
Volunteer work at a local, independent pharmacy
Volunteer work at the red cross

MsSusanStoHelit Tue 20-Jun-17 14:55:39

Medically related charity, like the King's Fund or something? Cancer Research UK or similar?

Seeline Tue 20-Jun-17 14:59:06

One of the universities - lab work or something?
Blue Cross/PDSA type setting?

MsHooliesCardigan Tue 20-Jun-17 15:03:53

Thanks for the suggestions, it's very helpful. He has tried a number of community pharmacies, including Boots, who all said they couldn't take anyone under 18. I don't know if it's to do with insurance. I will definitely look at care homes. I think older ppeople would love him although obviously I'm biased smile

JustMumNowNotMe Tue 20-Jun-17 15:09:27

Military bases will be a no no, as will prisons as he would need vetting and he is under age. I would defo go down the carw home route or speak to local hositals about ward volunteering

Confused24 Tue 20-Jun-17 15:09:50

Has he tried any private practises or places that offer sports rehabilitation/chiropractors even dentists etc?It's not directly in his field but still good experience. Or research labs, St. John's ambulance, air amubulance? care homes or centres that look after people with disabilities? It's not all directly linked but any type of care work/voluntary work will help

Justanothernameonthepage Tue 20-Jun-17 15:13:32

Any large local companies that might have medical departments? BMA? May also be worth looking at testing or pharmaceutical companies.

Electrolux2 Tue 20-Jun-17 15:13:36

St Johns ambulance would be my guess.
All this to come here. My ds wants to be a doctor and has been volunteering with SJA for 2 years but had to wait a further 2 years on their waiting list!!! All areas are different though.
Other ideas...
Special schools?
Cottage hospitals
Care homes
Any physiotherapists?
Any medical appliance supplier, so wheel chair, etc ?

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 20-Jun-17 15:18:54

Unfortunately to get placements in hospitals you need to apply well ahead of time. Dss did Gp in yr 11 but applied for hospital at same time for a placement the following summer. He volunteered in a care home thoughout the year.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 20-Jun-17 15:20:10

IF you are in Zlondon how would the school feel about him volunteering down in North Ken sorting out the donations for Grenfell Tower.

KnackeredHag Tue 20-Jun-17 17:54:43

Where abouts are you based? I am a schools careers advisor with an NHS contact who assists with placing students for WE. I could ask her dependant on your location or see if she could advise best route?

MsHooliesCardigan Tue 20-Jun-17 23:08:59

Knackered I am in SE London but he would be happy to travel as it's only for a week. I have phoned the Leonard Cheshire foundation home that I visited as a student nurse and they sounded quite hopeful and asked me to ring back tomorrow when the manager is there. He has until Friday to get it sorted which means he has to get his form signed by then so it's really cutting it fine.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Tue 20-Jun-17 23:14:56

Have you tried opticians? Because they are a retail crossover I've found them more likely to take work experience.

NothingRhymesWithOrange Tue 20-Jun-17 23:15:46

Take a look at this company (based near Harley St I think): tdlpathology.com/

They're huge so it's possible one dept may have capacity for we. It's the kind of thing that looks good to shareholders / in company newsletters, so you never know...

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 20-Jun-17 23:21:40

None of us in my NHS department or any of our colleagues take work experience mainly because of patient confidentiality.

SuperPug Tue 20-Jun-17 23:24:58

Try vinspired or do it volunteering. Both excellent and specific to areas.

MsHooliesCardigan Tue 20-Jun-17 23:29:28

I really am so grateful to those of you that have replied. Thank you so much.

pinotnoirismyjam Tue 20-Jun-17 23:33:01

Could he do work experience in a HE environment in a lab? I work in neuroscience and we often give UG students work placements over the summer. It might be a bit late to get something sorted though - most HE academics will be head down in publication prep right now.

NickMyLipple Tue 20-Jun-17 23:35:45

I can offer him work experience in a medical centre of a special school in South London? There's not a doctor based there full time but he can spend time with the nurses and get to see lots of medical interventions with children who have complex needs??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now