Advanced search

HELP: cat caught very young baby bird.

(35 Posts)
BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:29:56

My cat caught this bird. I think it's uninjured but looks very young. I have it in a tub on a warm hot water bottle. What the hell should I do??

00100001 Tue 20-Jun-17 11:31:47

Put it outside and let nature take its course.

JacquesHammer Tue 20-Jun-17 11:31:54

I don't think there's much you can do. I think the mother bird will reject it now. You could take it to a vet/rescue.

And get your cat a bell.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:32:20

Would help if I included the bloody photo!

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:32:57

Mother bird wouldn't reject (that's a myth) but I have no idea which tree it came from.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:33:33

Problems are: I don't drive and have a three year old I'd have to take with me if I went anywhere (in this heat, on a bus!).

MatildaTheCat Tue 20-Jun-17 11:33:34

I'm afraid it will probably die. Did it fall from its nest? If a fledgling I guess it might get home if you place it outside and keep the bastard cat inside.

My bastard cat once killed mummy robin when she had a nest of babies in our garage. I was sad. Cats are murdering bastards.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:34:18

Collars on cats that climb trees are very dangerous and my cats take them off anyway (before I knew the dangers we tried them with collars).

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:35:08

Don't think it's a fledgling yet. Cats really are murderous bastards!!

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:35:36

Am I going to have to put it out of its misery?? I don't know if I can do that.

KidLorneRoll Tue 20-Jun-17 11:37:03

If you can't get it to a vet and it is visibly hurt then honestly, the kindest thing you can do is put it out of it's misery.

If you have cats that you let outside, then you have to accept they are going to hunt.

RitaMills Tue 20-Jun-17 11:39:42

Poor wee thing, I'm lucky enough my cat hasn't brought anything like that home yet.

Where abouts you? I ive near a RSBP centre (lochwinnoch) and I'd pick it up and take it for you.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:39:46

If you have cats that you let outside, then you have to accept they are going to hunt.

I know but normally their prey is either dead or an adult I can release to give it the best chance. This is neither.

RitaMills Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:06

I live* that should be.

Fettuccinecarbonara Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:44

Oh I'd love a baby bird to loo after!
If you're in devon I'll take it grin

WaitrosePigeon Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:46

Poor poor baby.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:41:46

I'm North of Heathrow (between Hounslow and Uxbridge for anyone who knows the area.

There is a guy somewhere nearISH (though, not walking distance) who takes in injured birds because someone shot a parakeet out of our apple tree last years and DH took it to this guy.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Tue 20-Jun-17 11:42:15

You are going to have to put it out of its misery. I have had to do this with mice which were seriously injured but not dead. I came up with a very quick and sure fire method. It doesn't sound nice to describe but it's very quick and guaranteed to work. PM if you want details.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:43:56

My mum used to have a 'killing stone' when I was younger. Basically a big, heavy rock she could drop on anything too injured to help that the cats brought in if my dad was at work. sad

Sparklewater Tue 20-Jun-17 11:44:37

We've wrapped in an old teatowel and dropped a Very Heavy book on mice that needed putting out of their misery before. Horrible job sad

ArchieStar Tue 20-Jun-17 11:44:40

Definitely put out of its misery poor thing. At least you know your cat loves you and thinks you need presents!!

ShovingLeopard Tue 20-Jun-17 11:46:00

If you are in the southeast try contacting Wildlife Aid in Leatherhead. They will come and get it or help you get it it them. Even if you are not local they will know who to contact in your area.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:47:35

Oh, fucking hell (sorry for all the language but I've been a veggie all my life so not good at dealing with dead animals as I won't even touch meat!). Is everyone sure putting it out of its misery is the best thing to do? I don't want to do it only for someone to come on and berate me.

BigDamnHero Tue 20-Jun-17 11:48:07

Thanks for link, Shoving. Looking now...

RitaMills Tue 20-Jun-17 11:51:23

If you've phoned around and no one can help then I guess that is the only option, you could just leave it outdoors if you can't kill it, it will die eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now