Talk

Advanced search

That's it...we're moving!!

(35 Posts)
DarylDixonsJockstrap Tue 20-Jun-17 09:59:36

So at 12:30 last night, our bedroom was invaded by a bat!!! It took DH and DF (who had to be called in as backup) 2 hours to get the fucker out. I always knew i didn't like bats but until last night did not realise I had a really irrational fear of them. I mean like, bone freezing, cold sweat, can't move, can't speak kind of fear!!!

Today, I'm still really jittery and can't bear the thought of it flying around my bedroom, landing on things etc shock

So AIBU to want to pack up and run for the hills? Am i ever going to get over the little hell-beast being in my house?

(Semi-lightehearted obvs)

gotthemoononastick Tue 20-Jun-17 10:04:56

Too expensive to move OP! Just be sure to cut anyone's long hair in case it gets entangled!( whistling whilst sauntering off....)
Oh and those little vampire teeth....lol!

Asmoto Tue 20-Jun-17 10:06:05

YANBU - I actually like bats, but I wouldn't want one flapping round my bedroom! Could you try putting a bat box in your garden to encourage any bats to go there instead?

DarylDixonsJockstrap Tue 20-Jun-17 10:12:12

moon i know!!! They've got little demon faces!! <shudders>

asmoto we live on the edge of a wood which has lots of bat boxes. This one clearly just lost his way last night. I'm not normally urgh about any animals so I'm quite shocked at my own reaction tbh.

OnnaNoHito Tue 20-Jun-17 10:16:20

Could you put a net over your open window so that nothing can fly in?

NavyandWhite Tue 20-Jun-17 10:17:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VeryButchyRestingFace Tue 20-Jun-17 10:19:46

Poor wee batty! What did they do with it? I hope it's okay.

Your screaming probably scared it. 💔

wink

Fruitcocktail6 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:22:07

I'm not scared of bats or birds but the thought of them flapping around my bedroom is grim.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 20-Jun-17 10:23:40

I once rescued a bat from the filter of a swimming pool. Poor thing was confused in the daylight! Must say I'm not a fan but couldn't bare to let the poor thing drown.

<irrelevant>

DarylDixonsJockstrap Tue 20-Jun-17 10:26:32

Good idea onna

I know butchy i feel awful for the poor thing really because i was bordering on hysterical. It was probably quite scared. But they finally managed to catch it gently in a towel and took it out to the garden. They saw it fly off so he wasn't injured at all. Probably just a bit traumatised. (So am I!!)

Oldraver Tue 20-Jun-17 10:27:39

Aw I love bats...have just realised I haven't seen any this year

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 10:29:36

We get them a lot. Dcat 1 knows exactly where to sit in the evening so he can watch them. He's too old now to do any damage thankfully. We have found bats on the inside of our curtains. They won't do you any harm but I still let dh remove them. blush

VeryButchyRestingFace Tue 20-Jun-17 10:30:32

I'm totes phobic about polystyrene and bananas, OP.

Am trying to imagine being confronted by a huge polystyrene cup or a bunch of bananas in the bedroom, instead of a bat. grin

Glad to hear both you and batty survived your encounter. smile

Decaffstilltastesweird Tue 20-Jun-17 10:31:26

Have you seen Batman Begins op? Young Bruce Wayne has a fear of bats as a child which is where he gets the batman persona from! So...? Time to move yes, to somewhere with scope to build an underground, superhero lair methinks grin.

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 10:33:43

Very for real? Polystyrene? How the gell did that present itself?

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 10:33:59

*hell

Hulder Tue 20-Jun-17 10:34:31

OMG - we have our windows wide open at the moment and were joking that no bats would fly in shock

I've had jackdaws in the house twice where I responded pretty much as you have done. Battered down my neighbour's door at 2am so he could get up and remove them blush

Either move, or brick up all your windows. It's the only way.

VeryButchyRestingFace Tue 20-Jun-17 10:34:45

Very for real? Polystyrene? How the gell did that present itself?

It's the sensation and the sound.

<shudders>

Maudlinmaud Tue 20-Jun-17 10:36:29

Well, I'm with you on the banana front anyway. Those flipping things dressed in pyjamas would scare anyone grin

TattyCat Tue 20-Jun-17 10:42:02

Op, this happened to us a few years ago. We both hid under the sheets for a while, deciding the best course of action! As we laid still (light on) under there, I realised that it sounded less frantic when flying around. As my then DP was hairless, I sent him to open the curtains (it flew in when they were shut!) and the windows really wide, turned the light out and laid really, really still and silent under the sheet.

That seemed to work a treat and in about 15 mins, it found its own way out via the wide open window. The more we moved and/or talked, the faster it flew .

AutumnalLeaves38 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:45:07

OP,

At least Basil Fawlty didn't stick it up your nightie...

The bat, I mean. Stop sniggering at the back.

pictish Tue 20-Jun-17 10:46:22

Aw I like bats.

DarylDixonsJockstrap Tue 20-Jun-17 10:49:19

Haha! decaf we joked this morning about getting my DH and DF batman t-shirts after their escapades last night! grin

tatty your experience seems far less stressful that ours! In hindsight, probably should have done the same.

Emily7708 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:57:30

Oh god how awful. Something bat related happened to me last Friday. We also live near a forest, loads of bats around, anyway was sitting in the bedroom upstairs next to the window and a bat flew in - well actually flew smack into the window, stunned itself and landed on the carpet. After almost shitting myself with fright I went to get something to try to get rid of it. By the time I came back with a box and wearing full hazmat suit it was dead. So I picked it up in the box and flung it as far as I possibly could out of the window. It landed on the bonnet of my bloody car!! Hate the bastards.

Hissy Tue 20-Jun-17 10:58:57

bats hate mothballs, so you could perhaps put some on the outside of your house? under the roofline?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: