Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Failed terror attack at the Champs Elysees

(15 Posts)
WishfulThanking Tue 20-Jun-17 09:08:34

I've not seen any threads on this...sorry if I've missed them. AIBU to think that we have got to the stage where a failed terror attack barely registers now?

WishfulThanking Tue 20-Jun-17 09:10:02

It's like we're constantly waiting for the next one sad

BeesOnTheWing Tue 20-Jun-17 09:10:36

It's the new normal sadly.

SquirmOfEels Tue 20-Jun-17 09:11:26

Yes.

The arrest outside the Houses of Parliament last week (knife carrying suspect tasered) and the one at Paddington (yesterday) have barely registered too.

BeesOnTheWing Tue 20-Jun-17 09:20:07

Tis nuts.

seasonschooner Tue 20-Jun-17 09:25:06

We had a man apprended with a bag of knives and an axe. He also had explosives and roads were evacuated and trains stopped. This is a small town and a 5 minute walk from my house. Just a mere mention on local news! sad. The police said not to be alarmed!

justkeepswimmingg Tue 20-Jun-17 10:13:50

Each morning when I wake up, I check the news and I fully expect to see that something terror related has happened over night. It's sadly becoming part of the new 'normal' sad.

KeiraTwiceKnightley Tue 20-Jun-17 10:15:13

Seasonschooner - you must live close to me. This was yesterday? Not typical of round here at all. Thank goodness for vigilant police services.

NavyandWhite Tue 20-Jun-17 10:19:45

I feel the same Justswimming. Waiting for some terrible news every day.

Pigface1 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:35:45

It's new order sadly.

I think the government/police/security services withhold details of how many terrorist attacks they stop for fear of provoking more violence.

MackerelOfFact Tue 20-Jun-17 12:40:18

It does feel like the new normal.

Last year, whenever I got a BBC News alert on my phone I asked myself 'oh no, which famous person has died now?'

This year, it's 'oh no, where is the terrorist attack?'

papayasareyum Tue 20-Jun-17 13:06:13

I remember twenty years ago hearing about bombings and attacks in places like Israel and Beirut and thinking how unthinkably awful it would be to have this sort of thing happen on a daily basis. Sometimes it doesn't feel like we're far away from being the same here...

DesignedForLife Tue 20-Jun-17 13:41:58

Not heard anything about that or yesterday

WishfulThanking Tue 20-Jun-17 17:59:33

THats what I mean, designedforlife: a guy drives into a police vehicle at the Champs Elysees with a car packed with guns and an explosive device and it's barely mentioned on the news shock

WishfulThanking Tue 20-Jun-17 18:01:12

A very brave police officer had to strip him to check for a suicide vest. What times we live in sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now