Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask what food you'd do for a vegan buffet?

(21 Posts)
HerculesMulligan Mon 19-Jun-17 23:27:42

Vegan friends (6 of us in total) coming to us for supper.
It'll be warm and after work, so nothing too fancy to prepare.

Also, I can't eat peppery or hot spices.

I am a bit stumped.

VanessaBet Mon 19-Jun-17 23:34:29

Hummous of various types (Tesco do loads, red pepper one is nice, and the beetroot and quinoa) and toasted pitta bread, crudités, those little peppers from a jar (the mild ones if you don't like spicy), olive tapenade and crackers, cous-cous salad, mixed bean and pasta salad, warmed up ready made falafel, mini roasted new potatoes maybe? Crisps of course!

Youremywifenow Mon 19-Jun-17 23:37:24

Have you got a falafel takeout near you? There are loads near me, 4 for a £ and they do loads of nice salads and dips as well.

2015newstart Mon 19-Jun-17 23:37:55

Tin kidney beans, tin of sweetcorn, diced green pepper, lime juice, coriander and olive oil. Mix and serve.

Fancy bread and dips (I'm not vegan, assuming bread is mostly okay?). Deliciously Ella does an amazing minted pea one.

Spiced (as in flavoursome not hot) sweet potato wedges

Falafel

Other salads?

Cinnamon sugared almonds (10 minutes in a pan, or buy?)
Fruit salad

paxillin Mon 19-Jun-17 23:39:22

Chips?

VanessaBet Mon 19-Jun-17 23:39:26

Guacamole as well! Onion bahji and veggie spring rolls or samosas are probably vegan if you check ingredients. Nuts (not honey roasted!)

I'm not vegan but I quite fancy all that!

KeepServingTheDrinks Mon 19-Jun-17 23:40:42

ha ha ha. I was going to say humus and falael!

Augbergines.

Roast some peppers in the oven with a bit of oil over them. They'll look, smell and taste gorgeous (once they're cooked, slice them).

Buy a tin of artichoke hearts. Griddle them. They're posh... folk'll be impressed.

Corn on the cob (sob for butter!)

spend night fantasising about cheese and ham

5buttons Mon 19-Jun-17 23:50:37

Pesto pasta eaten warm or cold

Cup of sundried toms in their oil
Bag of rocket
Teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

Couple of minutes in the blender
Serve it with cooked dry pasta with
some chopped cherry tomatoes and
black olives
Quick, easy and delicious

Oh and wish I knew six vegan friends smile

5buttons Mon 19-Jun-17 23:55:26

Oh and like the sound of cinnamon sugared almonds 2015

Speckledy Mon 19-Jun-17 23:57:18

1) tapas type meal, most of which can easily be bought in or prepared in advance.
Nice crusty bread or flatbreads.
Olives.
Roasted chickpea pancake (socca).
Tomato salad. There's a nice simple one in the Persiana book with a pomegranate molasses dressing.
Puy lentils or with finely chopped shallot and balsamic vinaigrette type dressing.
Some sort of roast potatoes or wedges with rich tomato sauce for dipping (sort of like patatas bravas without the chilli).
Hummus, guacamole etc

2) more Japanese style- we had this for dinner tonight and it took about 20mins in the kitchen
a big bowl of edamame, miso soup, cubes of tofu fried with garlic and soy, rice.

3) Indian-ish but not spicy so flatbreads, rice, daal, bhajis and mango chutney etc

For dessert there's some really good vegan coconut based ice cream type stuff available now which is lovely with fresh fruit.

queenofawkward Tue 20-Jun-17 00:00:51

Big pot of veggie chilli, wholemeal wraps, tortilla chips, rice, homemade guacamole, homemade salsa

lucyandpoppy123 Tue 20-Jun-17 00:02:14

'Vegan on a budget' FB group is really good

KeepServingTheDrinks Tue 20-Jun-17 00:05:50

Pesto pasta eaten warm or cold

PROPER pesto contains parmesan.

This thread makes me hanker for meat!

Dragonfly3 Tue 20-Jun-17 00:09:03

Homemade sushi with cucumber, avocado, peppers etc instead of fish. I bought a sushi making kit from the supermarket and love it. You can make it the day before if you don't have a lot of time and it'll keep in the fridge. Pasta salad with garlic, olive oil, pine nuts and chopped basil. Stuffed peppers or beef tomatoes (I stuff mine with rice, veg, chopped up cashew nuts). Bruschetta with tomatoes and basil. Pasta with garlic, olive oil, chopped pistachio nuts and whole cherry tomatoes.

Rantymare Tue 20-Jun-17 00:09:17

All of the above!
Pasta salads

Wraps and fillings (beans, hummus, faux meat if you can be bothered buying it, salsa, salad).

Nuts/crisps (check for milk etc and if no allergies etc)

Vegan chilli or chickpea curry if you want something 'cooked'.
Stuffed vine leaves (ready made for ease)
Bhajis, samosas etc
Roast chickpeas (dead easy)!
Veggie sausages (just as nice cold!) and buns
Olives
Vegan cream cheese(sainsburys, asda) and crackers (supermarket own brands often vegan).
Rice salad(rice, chopped cooked veggies, mint, dressing

SuburbanRhonda Tue 20-Jun-17 00:09:53

Good job you're not one of the guests then, keepserving smile

Sprogletsmuvva Tue 20-Jun-17 00:18:08

Gazpacho! Food of the gods in hot weather.
Traditionally it has chopped egg to sprinkle on top, but you could use slivered roast almonds instead.

Tonight I had a lentil thing which is a staple for us and pretty easy to veganise. For 4 as a main course: boil 250g puy lentils. While they're cooking, fry a couple cloves crushed garlic in marg/oil. Add zest of medium lemon + juice, then 1tsp mustard and 1tbsp tarragon, simmer couple minutes. Add 4tbsp (soya) yoghurt, bring to boil, add a large chopped tomato and some halved olives, turn off heat. stir in the cooked drained lentils + S&P to taste. can be served hot or room temp.

AdaColeman Tue 20-Jun-17 01:19:06

Imam bayildi
Caponata
Chilled courgette or leek or watercress soup
Grated carrot and celeriac vinaigrette
Asparagus vinaigrette
Avocado vinaigrette
Watercress, spinach and pink grapefruit salad
Chickpea quinoa raisin and walnut salad

ILookedintheWater Tue 20-Jun-17 09:42:26

Here's my go-to page for a summer buffet: coincidentally vegan but I substitute in the meat/cheese as I fancy as we aren't vegan. All of these are delicious, and none are too complicated/take too much effort!
vegan mezze

chickenowner Tue 20-Jun-17 09:49:55

I love all these ideas!

I was going to suggest guacamole, hummous, falafel, crudites, green salad, potato salad etc, but you've all beaten me to it.

grin

sweetbitter Tue 20-Jun-17 09:55:41

Definitely loads of dips (guac, hummous, maybe a beetroot hummous, a curried nut
dip, tapenade) and shit loads of crudités, breadsticks etc to dip with.

Or little blinis with dip pre spread onto them

A few savoury tarts, with pesto/ tomato/ veggie

Bruschetta

Lots of different types of salad, cold noodle/pasta dishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now