Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be angry with school even though it's none of my business?

(7 Posts)
Onceinabuemoon Mon 19-Jun-17 22:42:01

My child's school is failing, it has been for a number of years now. There isn't a single original teacher left because every year several teachers leave for new jobs. Newly qualified teachers leave within a year. They've lost so many fantastic teachers and TAs. Rumour has it that the head is a tyrant, this year once again several teachers are leaving and the school struggle to recruit..

Ofsted rating is poor with little sign of improvement but children's behaviour and conduct is good, but failing in all other areas.

Meanwhile today two boys (not my child) have been hauled in front of the head for having 'too short' hairstyles, told they were going to be in detention until their hair grows. The reason I know is because one boy came out in tears and I overheard the teacher speaking to the boys mum explaining why he was upset. My child confirmed that two boys were pulled out of class and sent to the head about their hair.

These are year 4 primary school children. Neither of the boys have extreme hairstyles, both boys are black and have short back and sides but not particularly short or fashion style hair just normal hair really.

Even though it's nothing to do with me I feel so angry, where does the head get off upsetting children like that for no good reason. Why doesn't she channel her energies into something positive such as improving the school?

BarbarianMum Mon 19-Jun-17 23:06:53

Talk to the governors. But address it as two / three separate issues:
1. Stupid rules around hair
2. Teacher retention
3. School improvement plan - where is it, what does it say, is it working?

emmyrose2000 Tue 20-Jun-17 08:12:55

told they were going to be in detention until their hair grows.

WTH?? confused

No one can control how fast their hair grows! Are the boys supposed to remain in detention for three/six/12 months until the hair gets to a length deemed "acceptable" by whomever came up with this stupid nonsense? To my knowledge, sitting in detention has never been a formula for hair growth.

If this was my child I'd be removing from child from the school and also putting in an official complaint to the education department, or whatever the relevant authority is in your area.

Whoever decided that needs to be fired and seek professional help.

StillDrivingMeBonkers Tue 20-Jun-17 08:16:13

Similar academy chain near us. The Head is a complete tyrant. Governors are of no use, she got rid of all the long standing ones and shipped her own in to support her.

BabsGanoush Tue 20-Jun-17 08:42:33

Your child attends the school - IT IS YOUR BUSINESS!

noblegiraffe Tue 20-Jun-17 08:48:39

What does the Ofsted report say about leadership and potential for improvement? I'm surprised that if it's been failing for that long that they haven't got rid of the head.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 20-Jun-17 08:52:25

I would think other children's hair are the least of your worries.

Your children are at a failing school - what are you going to do about that? That would be where I would be focusing my energies by either getting them out or getting involved to change things or reporting concerns to OFSTED.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now