Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To consider this type of distraction?

(15 Posts)
Legma37 Mon 19-Jun-17 03:50:08

I have a 10 week old who absolutely detests car journeys over 15 minutes or so. After this time, he starts to cry, which quickly turns to a scream, working himself up so much that he turns bright red and his clothes after such an episode are soaked in what can only be sweat. It is absolutely heartbreaking and I can't leave him to cry it out, so necessary journeys are very delayed whilst I pull over to comfort. However, such comfort does not last long and it becomes a vicious circle of crying and pulling over. Whilst having a passager with baby (even myself) provides some help, this only tends to delay the episode, rather than prevent it.

Strangely (and mercifully), baby does fall asleep sometimes if the car is going at a fast speed. However, this is not always guaranteed.

I have concluded that the problem lies with the car motion rather than the car seat itself, as baby is happy to be wheeled around in the car seat when utilised as a buggy for short distances.

I have tried all sorts of things to make the journey comfortable (blankets, or less layers where applicable) and to provide distractions (talking, singing, mirror, black and white frieze, toys, music) all to no avail. I even tried introducing a dummy for this purpose only, but after moderate success on one trip, this too failed to comfort and he just spits it out.

So I am thinking whether a cheap in-car DVD player with a suitable 'baby dvd' (there appear to be some baby development ones on the market) might be a potential solution, but I have heard that it is not a good idea to introduce this sort of media to such a young baby. The other consideration is that he is just too young for this to be a form of distraction as a result of his undeveloped eyesight. Does anyone have a similar situation where this has worked or can offer by alternative advice/solutions? I do only make journeys where they are necessary.

Legma37 Mon 19-Jun-17 03:56:38

Longer than I thought. For a shorter version, AIBU to put a dvd on in the car for my newborn.

MrsOverTheRoad Mon 19-Jun-17 04:09:21

YANBU. One of my DDs was like this and it's TERRIBLE! She would act just like your baby and scratch her face too.

She's 12 now and still hates cars...she gets car sick. I always wonder if it was that...but seems unlikely.

Handsupbabyhandsup Mon 19-Jun-17 04:10:44

I'd give it a go. Better than a screaming baby and you can't not drive long term.

lborgia Mon 19-Jun-17 04:17:01

Agreed. Our eldest was like this, it once took 9 hours to make a 4 hour trip sad. Whatever the hell you need to do. ..although I'd still avoid anything more that the supermarket for add long as you can. At least til they're old enough to regulate their temp better - esp as it is warm in the UK at the moment?

Good luck, so distressing. If it helps; he loves travelling now! flowersbear

Notanotheruser111 Mon 19-Jun-17 05:29:55

Mine was like this too, he did eventually grow out of it, but one of the things that made it worse was the flashes of light on his face as the car moved. Blocking as much of that as possible without also blocking the drivers visability seemed to help. Persisting with a dummy also helped it was the only place he used one. If a DVD works then use it.

LedaP Mon 19-Jun-17 05:34:00

Ds used to cry, when he was a baby, if you had to stop. So traffic lights and traffic jams were a nightmare. He did grow out if it.

I would say go for it. Its worth a try.

olympicsrock Mon 19-Jun-17 06:42:53

It is absolutely fine. Just wondering ... just your baby have reflux, mine did and he hates the car. The combination of a flat position and the motion gives them terrible reflux .

PhilODox Mon 19-Jun-17 06:49:20

How long a journey is it? Babies aren't supposed to do journeys of over 30 minutes, I think, in car seats, there's a risk of suffocation. Do you live remotely? Are all these journeys necessary?

PhilODox Mon 19-Jun-17 06:52:42

This is NHS advice.

Legma37 Mon 19-Jun-17 09:28:11

Hello everyone, thank you for your replirs and advice. PhiloDox, thank you for the link - I don't make journeys in the car unless necessary, mainly for my own sanity. However, my husband is on a business trip to to avoid being alone for two weeks, I drove to my family home, a 45 minute journey. It is the longest journey baby has done to date, but he has done it a few times before with a passager. I'm not looking forward to the trip back in two weeks time!

ArchieStar Mon 19-Jun-17 09:39:10

It's worth a try!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of telly time when necessary smile even for a newborn! My DD was a very poorly baby, I was so so so grateful when someone recommended baby TV to get us through her worst days, it was so lovely to see her comfortable and distracted by the telly in between the throwing up/screaming/gasping for breath/everything else that came with her illnesses so seriously give it a go! smile

Birdsgottaf1y Mon 19-Jun-17 09:39:37

They seem to pick up on Baby Tv from quite young, i used it with my Granddaughter.

Do you have an Ipad or Kindle, so you can download or record it?

But anything with large colourful moving shapes, so Pepper Pig or Similar.

They go through phases, my Granddaughter would settle to the Thomas and Friends theme tune.

However as said, you aren't supposed to be doing long journeys without a break from the car seat. It could be because your baby is struggling physically in the seat and letting you know.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Fri 23-Jun-17 09:45:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Fri 23-Jun-17 09:45:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now