Talk

Advanced search

Niece 'stealing' my son's name!

(78 Posts)
FreddyJohn Sun 18-Jun-17 23:20:33

I see similar situations on here a could of times lately and figured I'd post as there doesn't seem to be any that's exact to this and it often borderlines on U or not on these threads so just wondering.

My son is Frederick Jonathan. He goes by Freddie and is 5.

My niece is naming her little boy (due in 3 days) Freddy John.

A lot of our family is still very close and see each other once a month. AIBU to think this is a bit copy cat? No family names either.

Chloe84 Sun 18-Jun-17 23:24:18

YANBU. Call him Freddy 2 to piss her off. Or Freddo.

Notknownatthisaddress Sun 18-Jun-17 23:26:39

biscuit

FreddyJohn Sun 18-Jun-17 23:28:43

Thanks @Chloe84wink@Notknownatthisaddress why the heck am I getting a biscuit? smileconfused

EsmeeMerlin Sun 18-Jun-17 23:40:48

Because your son's name does not belong to you so how on earth can it be stolen?

I think if she likes the name then why should she not use it. Plenty of family members share a name.

AguacateMaduro Sun 18-Jun-17 23:54:24

Shows an embarrassing lack of imagination on her part tho.

HildaOg Sun 18-Jun-17 23:55:33

You're right to be pissed off, it's obnoxious and not fair on your kid to have another so close in the family named exactly the same. I'd tell her to use her imagination and find her own name.

emesis Sun 18-Jun-17 23:58:17

It is a bit weird but I would roll with it and be gracious.

After all, you got in first! Other relatives will be wondering why she made that choice too.

I had two cousin Elizabeths growing up and it really wasn't a big deal in the end.

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 19-Jun-17 00:21:06

Tell her 'Great, we can call him Li'l Fred, Freddy J, or Titch, which do you prefer?'.

Beeziekn33ze Mon 19-Jun-17 00:45:34

Is this a spin off from the Hayden and Oliver duplication thread?!
Could it be the same OP, the same family?!

RebootYourEngine Mon 19-Jun-17 00:45:36

Mumsnet is a strange place sometimes.

There is another thread on here quite similar to this and nearly everyone said it was weird to chose the same name but on this thread its fine.

I personally think its weird and boring and lacking in imagination.

NellieFiveBellies Mon 19-Jun-17 00:48:22

thats probably because different people have different opinions tbh.

RebootYourEngine Mon 19-Jun-17 01:03:09

I see it quite a bit though Nellie two people post near enough identical threads. One gets sympathy and the other gets rounded on.

UnicornSparkles1 Mon 19-Jun-17 01:06:25

It's weird. Ask her if she wants some of your Freddie's old baby clothes, seeing as she's copying everything else.

NellieFiveBellies Mon 19-Jun-17 01:29:53

luck of the draw sadly. different respondants.

FlapAttack88 Mon 19-Jun-17 02:30:48

2 names the same is a bit different though. .. that goes beyond the coincidence realm

ILikeyourHairyHands Mon 19-Jun-17 02:42:45

My brother just called his daughter my DD's middle name followed by my middle name, I called him to thank him for the honour, unfortunately, because he's a bloke he had actually never paid any attention to my middle name or my DD's middle name so fumbled his way though the conversation, as I knew he would.

Nobody cares about you OP, they're just names they like, you don't own them.

Squishedstrawberry4 Mon 19-Jun-17 02:45:28

Does it really matter? Take it as a compliment.

DeliveredByKiki Mon 19-Jun-17 03:30:33

HairyHands ha my brother just gave my niece my middle as her middle name and it is very similar to his wife's sisters name....same situation, hadn't occurred to him in the slightest, nor his wife!

Clandestino Mon 19-Jun-17 03:38:02

What's wrong with you people? Do you have copyrights on the names? Is there a rule that you can't use the same name twice in the family?
You're so "incredibly" close that you see each other once in a month. Seriously, get over it. If you lived beside her it could create a bit of a confusion but once in a month?

sykadelic Mon 19-Jun-17 03:47:15

I was very very picky when choosing DH's name. I don't know of any family members with his name (first or middle) but I do know 2 other kids with the same first name (both are a friend's sister's son but one a slightly different version).

I would query it as a "oh like my son!" and see if she even realises. Maybe she thinks the shortening of both makes it different enough?

Some people don't care that they're not being individual, I did/

Chloe84 Mon 19-Jun-17 03:54:43

Clandestino OP didn't say they are 'incredibly' close. You invented that.

And I think it's fine to say you're close to relatives you only see once a month.

People have busy lives, many siblings barely see eachother once a year!

FreddyJohn Mon 19-Jun-17 12:59:39

I guess it's mixed opinions then

stella23 Mon 19-Jun-17 13:03:41

Yanbu, there's a multitude of names to pick from, there must be one other name that she likes. Still don't worry about it. Just make sure that your ds's name doesn't get changed.

Coulddowithanap Mon 19-Jun-17 13:06:16

It wouldn't bother me.

BIL first DD has a nickname version of our daughter (she was born 6 months after) and their second DD has our daughters middle name as her name. We don't mind and none of the children mind either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now