Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about DD in this heat at school tomorrow?

(151 Posts)
StopTuggingMyMink Sun 18-Jun-17 18:43:06

I'm probably being terribly pfb, and I also suffer a little with anxiety, but aibu to worry about DD in the heat tomorrow?
She's in reception. They have 3 break times a day, the longest one being lunchtime where they're all herded onto the playing field (No shade) to eat lunch and run around. For an hour and a half.
We're encouraged to cover them in sun cream before school, but they're not allowed to take any to reapply during the day. Teachers aren't allowed to either.
It's looking like it's going to be 30 degrees here tomorrow, and I'm just concerned about her getting too hot. Is it just me?

hula008 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:46:00

I think it's reasonable to be a tiny bit thoughtful of how you can control it when you're not there tomorrow but remember - the school has this every year (it's not actually massively hot compared to some summers we've had recently) and manage it. Send her with some extra drinks and a hat, some bits to cover up with. smile

ButtonBoo Sun 18-Jun-17 18:47:57

I'm sure all the necessary precautions will be taken. But DD has spent most of the day in her pants and sitting in school uniform all day is going to be hard work!

EezerGoode Sun 18-Jun-17 18:48:23

No.its crossed my mind too.it says on the net there's a heatwave and to stay indoors...I will use that p20 stuff that you only apply once.and send a hat and water bottle and hope teachers use their discretion...

Sittinginthesun Sun 18-Jun-17 18:48:23

School will make allowances. They won't want a class full of Reception children getting in a state with the heat.

My ds2 struggles with the heat. In Reception, he often found a shady area for a nap.

caffeinestream Sun 18-Jun-17 18:49:07

They'll have action plans in place, don't worry! Send her with plenty of water, a hat and cover her in sunscreen. I'm sure they'll either erect tents to create some shade, or they'll have play inside at the height of the day.

She'll be fine smile kids are very resilient! Maybe take her for ice-cream after school, and freeze her water bottle overnight so it stays cool all day long as it melts.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 18-Jun-17 18:49:15

An hour and a half for lunch break? Is it a state school?

And they eat on the field? How does that work with a plated meal?

Mercedes519 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:50:28

You can also buy P20 in factor 50. You apply it and it lasts for 8 hours

Sprinklestar Sun 18-Jun-17 18:51:48

Where I live it can regularly get to over 40C at this time of year. We survive! Can't really understand the drama over it being a bit hotter than usual in the UK, sorry! Use sun cream, wear a hat, don't stay out too long or at peak times. Schools will have a plan, simple.

Flamingoprincess1212 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:53:36

Freeze her water bottle, double up on drinks, hats, sunglasses, once a day suncream, a lip balm with spf, lots of fruit or salad vegetables as these have lots of water in.
I'm sure she'll be fine!

Quartz2208 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:54:20

Our school has hot play (same as wet play) so if it's too hot they stay inside. They will have a plan

StopTuggingMyMink Sun 18-Jun-17 18:55:08

Thankyou all, that's reassured me.
The children who take sandwiches in a lunchbox are allowed to eat on the field. It's a state school, yes.
I remember many long hot summers as a child and was absolutely fine. Even without sunscreen! I just have the tendency to worry a little that's all. Especially in this heat...it's so unlike what we're used to.

SherlocksDeerstalker Sun 18-Jun-17 18:58:07

My DD's managed up till last year in 45 degrees for 6 months of the year. Water bottles, hats and suncream are all thats necessary. She will be fine, don't worry!

TopBitchoftheWitches Sun 18-Jun-17 18:58:56

Ds2 is currently sitting gcse's in this heat.
He won't get allowances for our mad British weather.

SkintAsASkintThing Sun 18-Jun-17 19:01:49

It isn't really that hot. The media whips the UK into a frenzy every year at the very mention of that yellow ball in the sky.

Yes, it's hot. But not life threateningly so for a healthy, well cared for child. Make sure she wears, cool clothing, a decent hat and provide extra water. Put one bottle in the freezer so she has an icy, cold drink later.

Pinkheart5912 Sun 18-Jun-17 19:05:17

Sun cream her up before school

Send an extra drink ( freeze it overnight so it's defrosting & cool for her tomorrow)

Hat

She'll be fine

Crumbs1 Sun 18-Jun-17 19:15:51

I vaguely recall it was sometimes hot when I went to school, before anxiety became a thing. We all survived and I don't recall anyone developing heat stroke, sunburn or severe dehydration. We didn't even take bottles of water to school.

Melliphant Sun 18-Jun-17 19:17:41

She'll have a great time in the sun and the Vitamin D will do her a world of good.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sun 18-Jun-17 19:33:24

I can assure you people did get sunburnt at school in the olden days (I'm ginger and we moved from Northumberland coast to Essex in the 1980s). I'm still not used to the heat and the sun.

CiliatedEpithelium Sun 18-Jun-17 19:39:05

I can't see why teachers can't use sun protection spray on pupils. I got so burned in the summer of 1976, my skin was peeling like old wallpaper and we had a plague of ladybirds that year that bit the hell out of us. I think YANBU OP.

MyCalmX Sun 18-Jun-17 19:40:16

I'm Australian but the heat in London does worry me because the buildings aren't built for hot weather, only cold and with so much concrete and high density housing it's just ridiculous.

I kept dd1 off one very hot day last year. In Aus if it gets too hot school shuts. I made a call as a parent and we had a lovely day at home playing in the toddler pool.

I will send dd1 tomorrow but will keep an eye on how hot it does actually get for the rest of the week.

StopTuggingMyMink Sun 18-Jun-17 19:46:39

I wish teachers could help them apply sunscreen too... Even if I had to sign a consent form to allow them to do so.
DD is quite capable of putting it on herself; she's not the best at doing it but it's better than nothing. But they're not even allowed to do it themselves!
I have a hat at the ready, her summer cotton gingham dress, and I've popped some ice packs in the freezer to put in her lunchbox. Along with some extra water.
Thankyou everybody.

Flumpernickel Sun 18-Jun-17 19:47:43

"It isn't really that hot. The media whips the UK into a frenzy every year at the very mention of that yellow ball in the sky. "

Where are you? It's 29/30 where we are! (South lincs)

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Sun 18-Jun-17 19:48:17

I think YANBU OP. My primary age DD1 goes red very easily in the sun. Awhen she started school we were all told they were not allowed to apply their own sunscreen and teachers were (understandably) not allowed to apply it either. She came home red a few times so I spoke to the school. She is now allowed a labelled bottle of sunscreen that she can apply herself at lunch and I ask the staff to remind her. Interestingly a few other hildren now do the same so maybe others spoke up or maybe they changed the rules.

I am not remotely PFB and the school know this - I had never commented negatively on anything at all before (don't want to use the word complain as I approached it as a problem I wanted their advice on) and they immediately took me seriously (or pretended to at least!).

I will let a lot of things go but won't mess with sun safety. Could you talk to the school at all?

I had to talk to them again in year one when she came home red after being outside in the sun all day and told she could not reapply sunscreen- showed them her red cheeks the next day and they planned a different approach. I have to say most of the kids in her class seem to be fine in the sun (as is my DD2) but she is quite clearly not.

Flumpernickel Sun 18-Jun-17 19:50:15

We are not equipped for heat here in the uk, low ceilings, thick insulation, carpets, no built in aircon/ceiling fans, thin walls etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now