AIBU? Sister named/naming her children the same as mine...

(263 Posts)
McCormick1988 Sun 18-Jun-17 16:49:03

I have 2 sons: Hayden and Oliver.

DSis had a daughter after I had Hayden and named her Hayden I didn't care too much as she was a girl and mine was a boy. It also didn't matter that much.

My Oliver is 2 months and she is the 3rd trimester of her pregnancy and has announced he's an Oliver.

Different middle names but still!

AIBU to think this is a bit unfair?

OP’s posts: |
BunnyRuddington Sun 21-Feb-21 14:11:55

that's when she declared that it has always been her favourite name.

Just because it's her favourite, doesn't mean she has to use it. I always wanted to have a DD and name her after a DF. Years before I had my DD another DF used the name, we're close enough that it would have been odd if I'd used it as well.

I gave DD the name as a middle name and used a different first name. Both names go really well together.

If it is your DSis' favourite name and she still wants to use it, maybe suggest she uses it as a middle name?

kwiksavenofrillsusername Sun 21-Feb-21 14:00:37

Oops it’s 2017 sorry. He’ll only be 4 right now.

kwiksavenofrillsusername Sun 21-Feb-21 13:59:58

The Mirror are so desperate for content they’re mining the forums for 2011 threads now?

Happy 10th birthday to Oliver2!

WhereDoMyBluebirdsFly Sun 21-Feb-21 10:51:47

@McCormick1988 please can you come back and update us on what happened with Hayden 2 and Oliver 2?

FedUpAtHomeTroels Sun 21-Feb-21 10:28:29

Dam Zombie thread. I wonder if the sister changed her mind

FedUpAtHomeTroels Sun 21-Feb-21 10:27:25

I'd keep refering to the baby as Oliver 2 before he's born, maybe by the time he's born she'll realise how silly it is.
So "How are you? Hows Oliver 2 coming along"

MumW Sun 21-Feb-21 10:20:08

Start refering to her unborn as "Oliver the second" or "the second/other Oliver" at every opportunity.

JackieWeaverFever Sun 21-Feb-21 10:15:07

Another its insanely weird

Oh all the names in all the land

ChampionOfTheSun Sun 21-Feb-21 10:12:36

I saw this on a Facebook article yesterday confused they didn't post that it was 2017 mind you

NewScone Sun 21-Feb-21 10:09:25

ZOMBIE THREAD

Lizadork Sun 21-Feb-21 10:05:55

Old thread - doh!

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Sun 21-Feb-21 10:03:44

You took her name. What, both of them? I'm thinking that's a bit much coincidence and would just tell her outright that she's a weirdo.

CecilyP Sun 21-Feb-21 09:51:39

^ I had no idea if she was thinking of those names of not.^

It would be a very strange coincidence for her to be thinking of Hayden for a girl (never heard it used as a girls name) before you had your DS. OTOH, as Oliver is a very popular name, so might have been the name she had chosen years ago should she have a boy. Though as she has copied you once, I think she should let that go.

Lizadork Sun 21-Feb-21 09:50:50

I'd consider changing your Oliver's name without telling any of them for a long while.

If you have a 3rd child. I'd introduce under nickname/fake name. Eg Angelina or Angelica would only be known as Ange. So sister no idea if angela or angel or whatnot.

Hahaha88 Sun 21-Feb-21 09:41:59

That's proper mental!

lioncitygirl Sun 21-Feb-21 09:38:06

That’s fucking weird. 😳

Skatastic Sun 21-Feb-21 09:34:56

Weird as fuck and I would go ballistic with her! I would say oi get your own baby names its fucking weird to take mine. How much confusion will it cause at family events?! Weird as fuckkkkk.

covetingthepreciousthings Sun 21-Feb-21 09:29:41

Zombie thread!

Although maybe the OP will come back and tell us whether herself & Dsis had any other children and named them the same!

KindnessCrusader Sun 21-Feb-21 09:26:12

That's so so bizarre.

LapdanceShoeshine Sat 23-Sep-17 15:26:38

my baby brother for example was dragged off to have a photo with all the cousins, uncles etc he shares a name with. there was 8 of them and a dog

the dog made me laugh grin

there's a lot to be said though for having a unique name, whether it's in the family or at school - nobody ever has to make it clear which one they're talking to/about.

DD2 has a not-even-top-100 name, & was the only one at her primary school of 300 for most of her time there, until another one turned up quite late on - she has a double-barrelled surname, & half of it is our surname. That was a bit strange!

SparklyUnicornPoo Sat 23-Sep-17 11:16:18

It is weird, unless you have a lot of siblings. My Dad is one of 12, most of who have lots of children, there are quite a few people in my family with the same names.

I can remember a family get together as a kid where I felt really left out because I am the only one with my name in the whole family (I've never met anyone outside the family with the same first name as me either) while my baby brother for example was dragged off to have a photo with all the cousins, uncles etc he shares a name with. there was 8 of them and a dog.

raisedbyguineapigs Sat 23-Sep-17 10:22:56

It's pure arrogance that, like Jermain Jackson and all his kids being called something like Jermsome and Jermajestygrin

IClavdivs Sat 23-Sep-17 00:11:07

George Foreman, the boxer and grill entrepreneur, has five sons, all called George. He claimed it as so that they would always have something in common.

That's super weird, I think - as is the logic behind it.

raisedbyguineapigs Fri 22-Sep-17 18:29:24

I think a 10 year difference and unrelated would be fine. Its quite flattering that someone likes your name choice! My DS's best friend insisted on calling his baby brother after my DS! The poor baby's middle name is the same as his because they promised their son he could choose the middle name (DS does have an incredibly cool name) . Our ex builders son is named after my dh because he liked his name!

WyfOfBathe Fri 22-Sep-17 13:09:13

When I was at school, there were two girls in my class who were best friends, let's call them Emily and Claire. Emily had a younger sister called Lucy. The families were very close and often went on holiday together. When we were about 10, Claire's mother gave birth to twins, and named them Emily and Lucy. I don't know whether she consulted the original Emily and Lucy's mother first.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in