Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nobody cares as much about Grenfell because they're mostly poor and/or minorities

(381 Posts)
user1472582572 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:03:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag Sun 18-Jun-17 07:11:20

There is a lot of work in the background for the council worker and they are doing so by being understaffed as well

They are working tirelessly to rehome those affected, and orginased those affected by putting them in hotels etc... that's a feat within itself.

Remember also it's still business as usual for the council also.

The government well I have no words for May!

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag Sun 18-Jun-17 07:14:36

User they may have to get accomadation outside the area, they cannot magically accommodate 100+ accomadation when there is no houses in the area.

AS sad as that is, that's the reality. London has a HUGE housing crises

Lules Sun 18-Jun-17 07:15:42

I overheard a conversation yesterday between 2 men who agreed that it didn't really matter because the people 'weren't English'. I'm not saying that attitude is at all widespread but it exists.

makeourfuture Sun 18-Jun-17 07:19:13

And I am not sure they are doing enough for the thousands living in similarly unsafe housing.

picklemepopcorn Sun 18-Jun-17 07:19:36

That's disgusting, lules.

I don't think the council are being slow because of carelessness. They are ordinary people working ordinary jobs, many or most of them living in homes just like the people whose homes were destroyed. There are not a hundred empty houses waiting for these families. How could there be?

picklemepopcorn Sun 18-Jun-17 07:21:38

The voluntary sector is excellent at responding to crises like this.

The government and council should be focusing on things only they can do, like finding houses, facilitating benefits claims, emergency funds, checking the safety of every other building etc.

user1472582572 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:25:11

makeourfuture Sun 18-Jun-17 07:26:48

How about we work to make housing safe and habitable? You know, plans...

Catminion Sun 18-Jun-17 07:29:41

I agree the govt and council have been slow. RBKC leadership should resign. Even though a new lot will inevitably be Tory they might be normal people with a conscience. I haven't seen any council officials around at all.

I agree totally that because people in North Kensington are poor they don't matter to successive councils. This was also the case when the area was mostly white. Of course there are disgusting racists who don't think these people should even be here.

There are not enough council homes left in Kensington because of govt policy to sell them off and not replace them. Unless they rent private sector homes for them long term they will not be rehoused for decades.

Lules Sun 18-Jun-17 07:29:42

pickles I was really shocked and upset. I have seen similar comments on social media though.

user1472582572 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:30:20

jesterkat Sun 18-Jun-17 07:30:51

If the victims were rich they wouldn't have been there in the first place nor would they have to rely on help from the government or councils. I think they do need to be working speedily but are very limited as to what's available in the immediate area.

user1472582572 Sun 18-Jun-17 07:32:46

HopefulMog Sun 18-Jun-17 07:36:46

"User they may have to get accomadation outside the area, they cannot magically accommodate 100+ accomadation when there is no houses in the area. "

I completely disagree. There are empty private properties in the borough. Money needs to be found to pay for theses, quickly. The borough had a surplus so evidently not cash stripped at all.

The families need to go back to school, work, nursery, their GP, access their local facilities. Do we really want people who have been through that trauma to not be able to go to school or work? Imagine the children, who have lost a parent or sibling and who will not be able to go to school and see their teachers and friends on monday (if they choose to go)..... They need private accommodation now.

It very much looks like the council and government are at least in part responsible for the crisis, experts in housing have said as much and not just last week but repeated warned our leaders on recent years.

No excuse for 'there are no council houses' give them private accommodation, now.

makeourfuture Sun 18-Jun-17 07:37:16

So the government is incapable of reviewing the safety measures in other buildings whilst also ensuring adequate relief efforts are made?

I'm not sure this government is capable of putting it's shoes on the correct feet.

Worse still, I don't think the concerns of the many even cross their minds. Until crisis strikes.

HopefulMog Sun 18-Jun-17 07:38:20

YANBU.

OP, not to digress from your thread, I started a similar topic in AIBU and got some interesting and informative answers

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2957086-Royal-borough-of-kensington-and-chelsea?

BabyHamster Sun 18-Jun-17 07:39:53

If they'd been middle class or rich you'd still get people saying it doesn't matter because of X reason. Some people are just dicks. Generally I think the outpouring of support from the public has been very inspiring.

The response from some of the authorities has not been good but I'm more inclined to think it's because of incompetence, inexperience or lack of planning. Nobody at the council expected this to happen and nobody knew what to do when it did.

makeourfuture Sun 18-Jun-17 07:41:15

And even worse still, when crisis strikes, I think they wish the problem would just go away.

We need plans for safe housing. We need plans for when the inevitable happens.

HopefulMog Sun 18-Jun-17 07:41:59

MAke
"Worse still, I don't think the concerns of the many even cross their minds. Until crisis strikes."

And i now feel that even after crisis strikes they are disinterested in clueless.

May, as much as they are trying to put the "our prime minister does really and truly have feelings and is shocked and horrified just like any other normal human being, promise!!!!" spin on it she has only been reactive never proactive. And all hear reactiveness have needed up in U-Turns. An absolute failure.

But think, what are the alternatives to her? Boris, Gove? One worse than the next, an utter horror show that party.

TheHedgehogCanNeverBe Sun 18-Jun-17 07:42:04

Completely agree OP. If the lives and thoughts of the poor mattered to the local council and to government then this tragedy would have been avoided in the first place. The council and govt response so far has been shockingly poor.

makeourfuture Sun 18-Jun-17 07:42:50

Nobody at the council expected this to happen

Concerns have been raised. People have shouted about it.

HopefulMog Sun 18-Jun-17 07:43:45

"but I'm more inclined to think it's because of incompetence, inexperience or lack of planning. Nobody at the council expected this to happen and nobody knew what to do when it did."

I agree..... but.... if we are so incompetent, who on earth will we survive the biggest most impossible task that is Brexit and function without the sound framework of EU laws especially regarding health and safety, human rights and so on ...

HopefulMog Sun 18-Jun-17 07:44:48

I mean our government and civil service is not handing the day - to day very well, how the heck will they manage Brexit? It's starting tomorrow.

makeourfuture Sun 18-Jun-17 07:44:53

Boris, Gove? One worse than the next, an utter horror show that party.

Indeed. Grim, grim prospects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now