Talk

Advanced search

For being a bit anxious finding out my house was broken into before I moved in.

(12 Posts)
Mammylamb Sat 17-Jun-17 22:28:31

Been in our house for 6 months. Was chatting to a neighbour who asked if we had an alarm system. I said yes, and she told me to make sure that I use it as the people here before were broken into a few times!! I actually asked the sellers if they had ever been broken into and they said no!!

Now a bit nervous about security. Any advise out there!?

Maiz7654 Sat 17-Jun-17 22:37:59

The house I grew up in was broken into 7+ times while I was a child. Once when we were upstairs asleep! Because it was a really old house with old fashioned windows etc it was easy for them to get in. It only stopped when my parents made it too difficult for them. As long as you make it difficult, locking windows, alarm etc it's unlikely to be a problem again. Since my parents did this their house hasn't been broken into again (for 12+ years now.)

Also when we moved into our last house the day after a neighbour came to tell us to be careful because his mum who lived next door had just been broken into. We felt crap, but lived there 5 years and never had any issues.

rinabean Sat 17-Jun-17 22:38:34

You've not been broken into yet, you have an alarm

I would say perhaps you are doing something that makes you safer. Maybe the house is occupied more, or more obviously occupied, or in much better repair, or in much worse repair. Something like that maybe.

My old house had been broken into before I moved in but that was whilst it was standing empty. (The seller didn't tell me, but to be fair I didn't ask.)

If your security is good I wouldn't worry too much.

I wonder if there is a way to take legal action against the sellers for lying about something that's going to have official records though?

Maiz7654 Sat 17-Jun-17 22:40:52

People also recommend to leave a dog toy in your garden ( even if you don't have a dog) can be another deterrent.

And leave a light on when you go out.

Also in future when you buy somewhere if you check on police.uk you can see what crimes have happened each month on your street.

Mammylamb Sat 17-Jun-17 22:44:31

Not planning to take legal action. Think it's just one of those things. Going to get some cctv to at least prevent the burglars. Tbf we don't have much worth stealing

Mammylamb Sat 17-Jun-17 22:46:18

Maiz. Thanks. Just tried that but it doesn't work (I'm in Scotland)

Birdsgottaf1y Sat 17-Jun-17 22:51:29

My DD and her Partner,both in their twenties, were broken into, a few times,it was someone who knew them.

They knew that they tended to keep cash in the house and they had Ipads/big telly/expensive watches etc.

They now rent out their house and the new tenants, who've been there two years haven'y had an hint of a burglary.

It isn't the house that makes someone a possible victim.

hellobonjour Sat 17-Jun-17 22:53:23

What proof do you have that you asked the seller? If you asked in passing and they said they'd never been broken into then you'd have a hell of a time proving you asked if they refuted your claims.

It is rubbish OP but is there a possibility the neighbour is exaggerating? Could you phone the local police to ask if there have been reports of burglaries at your address?

Mammylamb Sat 17-Jun-17 22:57:07

It was in passing that I asked them. But really have no intention of taking.legal action. It would.just be too.much of a faff, and I can't see.what it would achieve. Just need tips now on how to make the house.safer.

yikesanotherbooboo Sun 18-Jun-17 08:09:36

We had a string of break ins ( different perpetrators ) a few years ago and the police advised us that we were the only household in our road out at work with no dog and no alarm. They also said that dog was the best deterrent ( not sure if true ) we now have alarm + dog.... so far so good .

Purplepicnic Sun 18-Jun-17 09:20:00

Heard an ex-burglar interviewed on the radio a few years ago. He says the only thing that was an absolute deterrent was a dog. Burglars hate dogs. Even if you don't have one, he said get a window sticker or sign, saying Beware of the Dog. Puts them right off.

Mammylamb Sun 18-Jun-17 16:25:33

Funny enough. I do have a dog.
And a big sign outside that says beware of the German shepherd (she is actually a tiny dog, but we thought the sign might be a deterrent) our dog sits and barks at everyone passing the house.

Have now purchased a fake cctv camera and a few signs saying cctv in operation and alarm in operation. Most worried about it being broker into when we are in the house!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now