Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have a given up on bedtime

(15 Posts)
Moomoomango Fri 16-Jun-17 22:23:07

My oh has gone out for the evening queue 5 year old realising mum is on her own so played up. Everything time I put him to bed he gets up and runs into the room where I am trying to settle the 2yo to sleep. So I've calmly walked him back 75million times all while the 2yo is getting more and more excited by this stupid game. 5yo switching on lights, running through the house. IVe tried positive things, bribery, threatened to take away toys, pretty much everything I shouldn't have done by some parenting guru or another but none of it's working. They started going to bed at 7.30 is now almost 10.30 I'm literally getting so cross I've given up. I've put the kettle on and sat in tears while my kids run around like lunatics.

I'm being unreasonable I know, I've done everything wrong. I just don't think I'm the parent I thought I was. Completely out of control sitting with a cuppa in tears is pretty pathetic isn't it?!

Oh not due home until tomorrow morning - what on earth do I do? Wait until they fall asleep?!

TupperwareTat Fri 16-Jun-17 22:27:51

YANBU. Ive been like it tonight. DD insisting she was sleeping in my bed. Coming downstairs 100 times. Me crying.

Shes asleep in bed next to me now. Im too tired to argue about it anymore. Ever.

flowers

Moomoomango Fri 16-Jun-17 22:32:35

THat is so reassuring to know it's not just me! When oh is here things run like a wel

Moomoomango Fri 16-Jun-17 22:33:42

When my oh is here things run like a well oiled machine. When he's not it's like shit has hit the fan. sad

NorthumbrianGirl Fri 16-Jun-17 22:43:36

Can you get both kids in one room (will they share a bed?) and just sit with them shushing them until they sleep?

We have all had nights where we lost our shit! Do whatever it takes tonight and go back to your routine tomorrow.

Crumbs1 Fri 16-Jun-17 22:54:17

Why are you being calm and not telling him very firmly to do as he is told and go to bed with a voice that is sufficiently authoritative for him to comply? Nothing wrong with showing a child you are very cross with the behaviour.

OuchLegoHurts Fri 16-Jun-17 23:01:24

I would get very cross at this stage. Works for me!

CatsRidingRollercoasters Fri 16-Jun-17 23:07:18

Agree with pps - time to get seriously cross I would have got cross hours ago

NEMSparkle Fri 16-Jun-17 23:11:23

My 2 year old has just finally given up playing musical beds and has gone back in hers. The 1 year old is still currently doing somersaults and backflips over me and DH in bed. I've given up I'm hoping she will get bored too and go to sleep! You win some you lose some is my motto for this evening.

Ollivander84 Fri 16-Jun-17 23:14:47

Very low firm angry voice time

LittlePrawn1 Fri 16-Jun-17 23:17:17

Believe me OP it's not just you! Why are children always good for they're dads too?!!!hmm

balence49 Sat 17-Jun-17 06:53:17

I think I'd lose my shit at that behaviour. You will only have to do it once!

disastrouslee Sat 17-Jun-17 06:57:53

What Crumbs . Sod calm, he's 5 not 5 months. I'd be bloody scarily angry by now.

Miniwookie Sat 17-Jun-17 07:02:46

Hopefully you've had some sleep now. Did you actually take toys away? No point making threats I'd you don't carry them out.

FlapsMcGee Sat 17-Jun-17 07:07:37

My 1 year old didn't want to go to bed last night either (also didn't want to be downstairs, or be cuddled, or nurse, or really do anything except scream). Was awake until almost 10 and it's all up to me as he gets more hysterical if DH goes to him. He is awake again now (had hoped he might sleep in a bit). Obviously something in the air! grin

Hope you all got some sleep OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now