Talk

Advanced search

To think technically MN is a bit rubbish

(20 Posts)
BossaDad Fri 16-Jun-17 22:04:39

Am expecting an instant ban.

MN is fantastic, I'll start there. Great idea, great resource.

But technically I think MN is a bit crap. It sucks up all my data budget, it seems to heat my phone up and it often hangs when posting.

And I keep seeing stats that it ranks around 80% slower than most other high profile sites.

Sparklingbrook Fri 16-Jun-17 22:05:52

I don't have any of those problems. confused It's technically fine for me.

missiondecision Fri 16-Jun-17 22:05:53

I hadn't noticed any of the crap bits you mention. I've been using mn for 4 years.
Therefore YABU.

haveacupoftea Fri 16-Jun-17 22:05:56

I think you need a new phone.

WorraLiberty Fri 16-Jun-17 22:06:26

You won't get an instant ban for saying that confused

However, this thread might be more helpful if you repost in Site Stuff.

missiondecision Fri 16-Jun-17 22:06:49

Perhaps you need to rethink your surfing apparatus.

Sparklingbrook Fri 16-Jun-17 22:07:21

YY see if MNHQ can speed it up for you a bit their end. grin

Defuzzing Fri 16-Jun-17 22:08:44

hmm

llangennith Fri 16-Jun-17 22:11:18

Technically fine for me but I have my iPhone set so I can only use it on wifi. So I don't use any of my data. If I'm not at home or in a wifi zone I don't use MN.

llangennith Fri 16-Jun-17 22:11:37

As in, I can't use MN.

eynesbury Fri 16-Jun-17 22:13:09

Think you need a better phone

Start there

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 16-Jun-17 22:13:31

Oh just ban him MNHQ. He's an annoying poster anyway.

NellieFiveBellies Fri 16-Jun-17 22:16:01

there seem to be a lot of things going wrong with it
the mobile site problems for example.
the fault with profile photos

every time they change something it causes about 3 problems

i think the problem is that it started small and as its grown its been patched and patched and patched and what it needs is a complete rebuild.

but i guess thats expensive. so i understand why they might be trying to put it off but if it was me id be doing something because eventually it will be all patched out!

WizardOfToss Fri 16-Jun-17 22:18:14

Well, I don't have problems day to day, but when there's a glitch (i.e the slow loading due to ads malarkey), it takes them weeks to sort out. With massively unhelpful advice to install ad blocker, try different search engines etc. So on balance, I'd rate the tech as fairly poor.

dinosaurbum Fri 16-Jun-17 22:18:47

I work in IT and business Change, and have done a couple/few digital (website) projects.

Given my role I am so critical of sloppy processes and clunky technology!

So YANBU, however I suspect that the "back end" as in the technology behind the site s a like a spaghetti junction, in laments terms.

I do sympathise though given MNs humble origins and the sites rapid growth, I am sure there has been a series of patches, expansions and other developments that have had to respond immediately to the popularity of the site.

In reality that means, we might as well be talking to each other on cans connected by string, and when it's slow it means some of the stings have fallen down and are touching so we can't speak to each other.

It's a bit shit, but considering its a free site with minimal ads, it's probably the best your going to get!!

And no I am not from MN HQ, but always looking for the next opportunity 🙈

OlennasWimple Fri 16-Jun-17 22:20:59

YANBU - it's creakier than all the other sites I use regularly (Reddit, for example, takes a bit of getting used to to follow the threads, but the functionality is soooo much better than MN)

elephantoverthehill Fri 16-Jun-17 22:22:52

mission I think surfing apparatus is a good phrase. smile. I am thinking wetsuit, roof rack, Dr Zoggs...........

TheNaze73 Fri 16-Jun-17 22:23:20

You could always upgrade your Nokia 3210

chipscheeseandgravy Fri 16-Jun-17 22:26:12

Yes about the data! It just gobbles it up like no other app I have (including games etc)

Kleptronic Fri 16-Jun-17 22:31:13

Yep it's a classic case this tech. Mustn't grumble though, it has antiquity and it is free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now