Talk

Advanced search

DH breath like something has died inside him

(7 Posts)
Hapaxlegomenon Fri 16-Jun-17 16:11:45

DH has never had bad breath until about 3 months ago. It's so bad I never want to kiss him (even when it's not bad because I think about the times when it was bad and it puts me off in the moment). I've mentioned 'can you clean your teeth?' Multiple times politely, and he goes and does it and doesn't take further action. I confronted him about it the other day and said I would really like for him to make more of an oral hygiene effort, and he agreed - but he doesn't seem to be doing anything to sort it! If it got to the point where someone has to point it out (and I would never normally criticise him) I would be going over and above to sort it out!. Does anyone else have a partner with bad breath? What do you do? I don't want to make him feel bad, but I can't think of anything else to do than to point it out.

ThePinkOcelot Fri 16-Jun-17 16:16:57

Has he got a bad tooth or something or a stomach upset? I only ask because you say this is recent. Has his bad oral hygiene just started recently?
If he doesn't improve, I think you are going to have to be cruel to be kind tbh!

ScaryMonstersAndSuperCreeps Fri 16-Jun-17 16:17:01

tonsil stones??

Roomba Fri 16-Jun-17 16:23:04

Sinus problems? Tonsil stones? Stomach problems? There are loads of things that can make breath smell awful, not just dental hygiene.

I would be very kind and ask your DH to make a dentist appointment, and if that doesn't help, a GP appointment.

Hapaxlegomenon Fri 16-Jun-17 16:24:59

It could be any of those causes suggested I guess, but I can't investigate it for him. I wish he would take the initiative to go to the dentist and tell them his problem, but I can't force him to. His cleaning routine hasn't changed, although it was never that thorough (no flossing or careful brushing).

TippyTinkleTrousers Fri 16-Jun-17 16:31:51

DH had this for over a year, then all of a sudden he was in excruciating pain with tooth ache, turns out it had a bad cavity. Dentist pulled it out and the death smell went.

Badcat666 Fri 16-Jun-17 16:34:05

Agree with roomba sounds like one of those which a dentist might not be able to cure. Get him to check in a mirror with a torch and have a poke around his tonsils if he can. Tonsil stones will be white/ yellowish lumps from food etc getting caught in holes. I have to attack mine and poke them out as docs won't remove mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now