Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In feeling annoyed with couples who take up large family homes but have no children

(259 Posts)
user1491297286 Fri 16-Jun-17 13:43:14

Friend of mine and her partner have just bought a really big 5 bedroom family house. They are both mid 20s, no children but claim they intend to start a family soon.... They bought the property on this basis. ABIU in thinking this is ridiculous.There is no guarantee they will even be able to have children let alone multiple. The house is in a fantastic area, nearby to a wonderful school and I know any houses in the area are snapped up as soon as they are on the market. My friend was up against lots of families who all placed offers on the property, however my friend trumped them all with a better offer. I feel this is a total waste of a large family home and can't help but feel it's ridiculous and rather greedy and selfish!

SootSprite Fri 16-Jun-17 13:44:39

Are you usually such a twat about your friends??

KelbyH19 Fri 16-Jun-17 13:44:58

None of your business. YABVU.

If it was social housing, I'd feel differently, but they made the best offer on the property with the money they had and it was accepted.

ZaraW Fri 16-Jun-17 13:45:07

I'd say it's none of your business you sound jealous.

MariafromMalmo Fri 16-Jun-17 13:45:45

Sorry, but it is a wise investment. Good for them!

Riderontheswarm Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:07

Yanbu. Why should they have to move house once they have children. It costs less to just buy a family house first, if you can afford it. It would have saved us a fortune on fees and stamp duty etc. We moved 3 times to get a big family home.

Madbengalmum Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:07

I present you with the first biscuit of the day.

KinkyAfro Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:30

We've just rented a 3 bedroom house, only 2 of us will be living it, we do have lots of friends/family visiting though.

YAVU

SquatBetty Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:33

Really none of your business, is it?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:44

If they paid for it, I have no issue with it. You sound pretty horrible. Perhaps I'm wrong and you give away the majority of your resources so you are only as wealthy as ab average person.

SaucyJack Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:50

I couldn't care less if it's their own house that they're paying for themselves.

HappyLabrador Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:56

YABU.

Without meaning to sound rude, are you perhaps a little bit jealous? Do you have children and live in a small house?

Your friend has every right to live in any size house she wants, even if she never intends to have children.

Riderontheswarm Fri 16-Jun-17 13:46:58

I meant yabu not yanbu

chipsandpeas Fri 16-Jun-17 13:47:15

So what people with no kids should just shack up in 1 bed flats???

dalmatianmad Fri 16-Jun-17 13:47:17

Is this a joke? Who cares whether she buys a 1 bedroomed flat or a 10 bed mansion?
You sound like a twat hmm

cunningstunnt Fri 16-Jun-17 13:47:25

aaaaaand why is it any of your business?

Sirzy Fri 16-Jun-17 13:47:26

So they have used their own money to buy the home they want? Struggling to see what they have done wrong!

Confusedandgettingold Fri 16-Jun-17 13:47:45

Yabu. And you're not a very nice friend either

Borntoflyinfirst Fri 16-Jun-17 13:48:00

You can have my first ever biscuit. What a load of nonsense. You sound jealous.

We did the same 17 years ago and now our home is full. Why on earth shouldn't people buy with a long term plan?!
biscuit

twattymctwatterson Fri 16-Jun-17 13:48:01

YABVU and ridiculous. Your friend wanted a large house in a nice area and can afford to pay for one. She's also planning on having kids but even if she wasn't she can buy what she likes. Do you really think that having children automatically entitles you to have "first dibs" on the best houses in the nicest areas, regardless of having put in the best offer?
Honestly having a person come out of your vagina doesn't make you special- and I say that as a parent

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 16-Jun-17 13:48:28

It's a free market, why shouldn't people be free to buy whatever they want? If you were selling a family home would you take a lower price for your house in order to sell to a family instead of a couple who didn't have children, because that appears to be what you're suggesting.

When should people be "allowed" to buy a larger house? Should couples be forced to buy one bedroom accommodation only and move every time they have a dc?

HappyLabrador Fri 16-Jun-17 13:49:00

By the way, we have a five bedroom house and only 2 children.

Does that make us selfish and greedy too?

gamerwidow Fri 16-Jun-17 13:49:04

People can buy whatever homes they like. My friend and her DH have a 4 bedroom house and they don't have children nor do they want any.
I personally think having such a large home when you don't need it is daft but it's not my money so I keep my views to myself.

MrsJayy Fri 16-Jun-17 13:49:26

Sounds a sensible buy tbf they can afford it now before kids come along they have no need to move if they don't want to houses are just that houses regardless of bedrooms don't let envy make you bitter they are yourfriends behappy for them.

purits Fri 16-Jun-17 13:49:35

Advanced search. OP posted this on Wednesday:
Anyone else experience extreme broodiness which seems to come and go in waves of intensity?! When it's bad it's pretty much all I can think about and consumes my day whilst I'm trying desperately to get some work done. Although we've got a 4 bed house, good jobs and a solid relationship, I'm only 24 and despite partner being a bit older we had hoped to wait a little while longer for a baby just yet. Is ever going to go away or am I going to have to give in?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now